Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone own one that can post some pics ive been wanting to get my hands on one to get a feel for it and see its size...i love the thought of a 45 acp revolver but think it might be too big for concealed carry.any thoughts? also open to other .45acp revolvers

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I own a S&W model 625 .45acp with a four inch barrel....the frame is larger in the hand then my 686 6 inch .357, it's a larger gun overall. Anything can be concealed with proper clothing but I honestly don't think it makes a good all around carry gun.

I can post some pics tomorrow....but do a google image search and you'll find some examples for reference.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
does anyone own one that can post some pics ive been wanting to get my hands on one to get a feel for it and see its size...i love the thought of a 45 acp revolver but think it might be too big for concealed carry.any thoughts? also open to other .45acp revolvers
Never quite understood this fascination with .45acp revolvers. The .44 Special will do anything the .45 will and it was designed for revolvers.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Never quite understood this fascination with .45acp revolvers. The .44 Special will do anything the .45 will and it was designed for revolvers.
only thing i can think of is caliber simplification. keeps you from having two different calibers if you allready have a 45 semi-auto

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
.45acp revolvers are great. I have an older 625 that I love. I recently "pawed" a 325 NG and it was very nice...light...good balance...but not worth the $825 the dealer wanted for it (typical local markup). The only gripe I had with the pistol was that I did NOT care for the C&S rear sight all that much. The large tritium from was great which is basically all you need with that pistol anyway, but the rear sight was chunky and just looked kind of "cheap" compared to the sights on other S&W revolvers that I have.

As for concealed carry...I think you'll find that the 325 is too big for that purpose. It is built on what felt to me like a full size/large N-frame which is Smith's next-to-largest frame design.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The biggest advantage of the 45ACP revolvers over other similar calibers is the ability to reload quickly. From the factory the 45ACP version is setup to run full moonclips. A 44mag on that same S&W N-frame would have to have the cylinder machined. The ability to use full moonclips and the large diameter charge holes in the cylinder combined with ball ammo make for one of the smoothest faster reloading revolvers available.

For this reason about 80% of all USPSA Revolver competitors use some variation of the S&W 25 or 625. Another ~15% is S&W 610 (10mm Auto but most shoot 40S&W in them, myself included) and the remainder is made up of various 357Mag and 44Mag/special revolvers. I suspect similar is true for IDPA.

mcb

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
The biggest advantage of the 45ACP revolvers over other similar calibers is the ability to reload quickly. From the factory the 45ACP version is setup to run full moonclips. A 44mag on that same S&W N-frame would have to have the cylinder machined. The ability to use full moonclips and the large diameter charge holes in the cylinder combined with ball ammo make for one of the smoothest faster reloading revolvers available.

For this reason about 80% of all USPSA Revolver competitors use some variation of the S&W 25 or 625. Another ~15% is S&W 610 (10mm Auto but most shoot 40S&W in them, myself included) and the remainder is made up of various 357Mag and 44Mag/special revolvers. I suspect similar is true for IDPA.

mcb
another advantage to the ones mentioned above is the ability for competition shooters who load their own ammo is to load light loads for quicker follow us shots, similar to the lighter .38 supers that many of the top competitors use in their autos for competition. Speaking of fast loads, check out some how fast Jerry Miculek wit team S&W can shoot...reload...and shoot his .45 model 625 in competition...it's amazing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree with most of the other posters.
The N frame Smiths are just too big for CC.
If I was hell bent on getting a Big Bore carry revolver , I`d look into the 396 N.G. 5 shot .44 special.
It`s built on the smaller L frame,which would be more concealable ( but still pushing it).
Yeah, the .45 ACP Moonclipped guns Re-load the fastest, NO doubt about that! The 8-shooters (.357), are the slowest, and the 7 shooters are somewhere in between.
And yeah, Jerry M. is incredible!
Regards, Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts