Springfield XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Did a more detailed look over of my upper the other day. Extractor corners were definitely over-sharp. I didn't go crazy on smoothing them down, which means I might have to revisit it again, but at least I know with certainty the marks I was seeing on the fired brass were from the extractor corners and the extractor spring tension, and not any kind of gas or timing related issue.

Didn't take a picture, but for those interested, the extractor spring on the Aero bolt had a double spring and double o-ring arrangement, royal PITA to reassemble without carrying the bolt to my bench vice. Even if I were severely over-gassed, I would expect the case rim to give up before the extractor slipped.

Also noticed quite a bit of chalky residue in the chamber, scrubbed it down with bore solvent, chamber brush and chamber mop on a cordless drill. I can't be sure, but I think it was some kind of preservative finish that was in the chamber I didn't notice hand-cleaning before firing. I'll be keeping an eye out for it on future outings as well.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nothing wrong with options.

Not particularly sold on 6.5 and 6.8 variants for my needs, but I enjoy reloading, so maybe someday.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger American bolt action first, and was impressed, and have been following the caliber for a while, thus when the parts have become available at a very reduced price for the 6.5 upper, I figured I'd try it for the AR platform as well. I also reload for both calibers and will finally take both uppers out this weekend to my favorite desert spot to check function and get them sighted in...

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
308 functioned well today, 65 Creedmoor had cycling issues, both rifle length gas system.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Most required manual cycle of the charging handle as they wouldn't fully eject, or they would eject but not grab the next round.

308 was more or less w/o issues other than a few failures to chamber next round.
I used published midrange powder levels in the loads so they weren't under loaded, and showed regular pressure results on the primer / case head.

The rounds I used were originally made for my 65 Creedmoor in my Ruger American bolt action and the chamber in the Aero Precision Barrel may be slightly different.
I will be checking chamber measurements today between both, to verify if I need to make changes between rifles...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Certainly will do that on both barrels, that's a typical thing that can move after first build and firing...
My first AR several years ago, the gas tube was not pinned to the gas block(I had bought it complete from a dealer), and it cycled poorly, until I checked...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Checked the gas tube/block and everything is aligned and set. Going to check on a weaker buffer spring/adjustable buffer to change between upper/barrel changes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Happen to check the gas port size?

For a shared lower, I'd be annoyed to have to change anything but the upper.

Though, if you get the 6.5 upper running, an adjustible gas block on the 308 upper wouldn't be the end of the world.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Happen to check the gas port size?

For a shared lower, I'd be annoyed to have to change anything but the upper.

Though, if you get the 6.5 upper running, an adjustible gas block on the 308 upper wouldn't be the end of the world.
It's an Aero barrel so gas port should be sizes to work, but I'm going to contact Aero Precision to verify what they suggest. And yes, I've considered an adjustable Gas Block, if I drill it out. Figure I'll ask the questions before drilling. Also a reduced buffer spring is cheap and wouldn't hurt the 308's cycling as there were a few that ejected but didn't feed a new round on it as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ordered a David Tubb flat buffer spring, supposed to be better overall, and I'm sure it may have needed a better lube job, as it was a bit dry when I cleaned it.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
In general I will change out most springs for silicone and extra power. A 10% stronger buffer/recoil/mag spring just to account for dirty/worn. Heavier buffers are fine. I might go on the heavy side, but that adds to felt recoil... Rather going back into battery... Then you can go the other direction and go all low mass...

The general consensus is 308 is over gasses. But that fixes other issues. I looked at adjustable gas blocks, just decided I didn't need fine tuning for specific loads. In general, everything should work over a wide range of factory ammo. So it will be over gassed on the low end for weaker loads.

For the 6.5 seemingly under gassed... Ya, it would annoy me have to change springs for uppers. They should all run the same basic set up. Talk to any of the spring/buffer guys and it's not about changing setup because the gas ports should all be drilled according to caliber. I can run same setup for 223 or 6.8. And most large frame do the same for all large calibers. I've yet to see a particular caliber needing a particular setup heavy or light.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ordered a David Tubb flat buffer spring, supposed to be better overall, and I'm sure it may have needed a better lube job, as it was a bit dry when I cleaned it.

Wow, that was a long time to get the rifle out...
Finally, in 308, new spring worked great, as well as proper lube I'm guessing.
All hand loads I made before worked well, and even the mid loads for "plinking".
6.5 upper and some mix of factory and hand loads next outing to verify operation.
In 308 I'm loving this build.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
You're doing build and test on my kind of work-impacted time frames now, lol!

Hopefully your two uppers play nice with a common spring.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Time will tell with the 6.5 Creedmoor, it's also a rifle length gas system, longer barrel, and close to the same loading, so we shall see.

I have the original spring in the case with the rifle, so I think it was probably fine, just the added lubrication was probably the issue.

Life, work and home remodels certainly get in the way of the fun hobbies

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well I ran the AR10 again this weekend, 308 functions flawlessly, but on the 6.5 Creedmoor, some factory S&B rounds still didn't cycle well. Ballistic Advantage Barrel is damn accurate though, even with the cheap S&B Ammo...
Will try some home rolled 65's next.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts