Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
19,921 Posts
Pattern but there's not a set parameter for max and minimum measurements. They'e simply not the same plug and play of a proper mil-pec AR.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
Pattern but there's not a set parameter for max and minimum measurements. They'e simply not the same plug and play of a proper mil-pec AR.
Well, there is no mil spec... But specs for DPMS pattern parts are just that. And in this day and age of quality CNC manufacturers... There is no particular part or particular manufacturer that I ever heard of being out of spec. Even mix and matching bolts and barrels... They head space.

The hardest part was indeed figuring out what parts to get. Heck, it was my first build ever. But like anything, once you learn it's easy. So like most things, stick with good quality names and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The lack of proper mil-spec interchangeability turn you off on the large frame?

I keep thinking I want an AR10, but I think I'd be better served dropping the money in a Savage BA Stealth instead.
Biggest thing is whatever lower you start with pretty much defines the group of all the other parts you have to stay in, and availablity can hang you up.

In the world of 308ARs, there's 3 different buffer tubes you could use, which require a differing mix of Ar15 and/or 308 specific components. There's 2 different barrel extensions that need a corresponding bolt, there's 3 different barrel nut thread profiles, depending on the style and vintage.

It's just a lot more involved than saying, I want this barrel, this brand, bcg, this upper, that lower, etc.

So what bolt do you have?
It's an Aero BCG.

I like Tactical Springs for most things.

Heavy Buffers are pretty popular with 308. My build was a real eye opener. It's fun though.
Buffer weight is probably fine. I'll probably tune on it anyway, but as it stands now, it does what it has to, I've just gotten used to my other builds making their own neat little brass piles for collection, and this one is a bit more spread out.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
It's just a lot more involved than saying, I want this barrel, this brand, bcg, this upper, that lower, etc.

It's an Aero BCG.

Buffer weight is probably fine. I'll probably tune on it anyway, but as it stands now, it does what it has to, I've just gotten used to my other builds making their own neat little brass piles for collection, and this one is a bit more spread out.
I had a JP enhanced bolt. I had extraction problems. Used BCM extractor spring kit... Better. Tactical Springs kit solved it.

Plus I talked with JP... They said they found AR15 parts were not sufficient for 308. They made an "enhanced" extractor with different claw profile. Basically weak springs and small extractor slip off cases. They sent me one for free. Zero problems after that.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had a JP enhanced bolt. I had extraction problems. Used BCM extractor spring kit... Better. Tactical Springs kit solved it.

Plus I talked with JP... They said they found AR15 parts were not sufficient for 308. They made an "enhanced" extractor with different claw profile. Basically weak springs and small extractor slip off cases. They sent me one for free. Zero problems after that.
I think you misunderstand, extraction is fine, the claw is just leaving a couple marks on the case where the edges are sharp.

It's definitely larger than a standard AR15 extractor.

·
Premium Member
15,531 Posts
I think you misunderstand, extraction is fine, the claw is just leaving a couple marks on the case where the edges are sharp.

It's definitely larger than a standard AR15 extractor.
I'm just sharing info. I didn't think you had an extraction problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nice thread, been following since February...
I just found a nice matching Aero Precision (DPMS) set, and looking for a barrel first. I noticed you noted the barrel nut threads were different per type, but are the barrels interchangeable? I haven't noticed any notes when looking at different manufacturers for DPMS/Armalite/PA308 etc?

Was happy to see yours shot well.

Regarding your extractor marks, I had the same issue with the extractor on my 458 Socom Bolt, they were sharp as claws, a little softening with a fine file stopped the scoring on the cases.
Then again as I reload the Socom brass and others that was important, if you're using NATO brass that you don't reload, the scoring really isn't an issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice thread, been following since February...
Thanks!
I just found a nice matching Aero Precision (DPMS) set, and looking for a barrel first. I noticed you noted the barrel nut threads were different per type, but are the barrels interchangeable? I haven't noticed any notes when looking at different manufacturers for DPMS/Armalite/PA308 etc?
If you're buying new, you're in pretty good shape. There are two bolt and barrel extension types predominant [armalite and DPMS, which is a more prolific clone of the KAC SR25], and the main difference is in the bolt rotation for lockup.

Pretty much everyone has transitioned to the DPMS pattern, and parts are generally well identified if they don't.

For your aero set, the DPMS pattern for the barrel nut, barrel extension, and BCG is good to go. You will want to measure the tang thickness of your upper receiver rail where the charging handle slot is before you order a rail though. I think I detailed that in my write-up. There's the "low" , "high" and "GII" profile, IIRC, thankfully companies like Midwest Industries have started listing the tang height in their product descriptions to simplify the task of making sure your rails line up even.

Other brands that match the pattern include CMMG, and PSA. Mega is a blend between the armalite exterior pattern and DPMS guts/barrel threading, and RRA does things their own way... I only mention these so you don't forget to verify for fit before ordering on some parts that may not work out.
Was happy to see yours shot well.
Me too! I get more nervous trying to see how a new rifle is going to group than I do about making sure it's going to function correctly.

Regarding your extractor marks, I had the same issue with the extractor on my 458 Socom Bolt, they were sharp as claws, a little softening with a fine file stopped the scoring on the cases.
Then again as I reload the Socom brass and others that was important, if you're using NATO brass that you don't reload, the scoring really isn't an issue.

I do reload, which is why I made note of the extraction marks. Looking at the fired upper yesterday, there's some sharp corners with evidence of scratching possibly the bullet and definitely the case at the 9 and 3 o'clock locking lugs that need to be polished up too. Case scratches are for sure on extraction, but there was some copper in the brass shavings too, so might be some free accuracy in there as well.

I'll polish those and the extractor claw sometime this week, but thanks for confirming that dressing those corners did the trick for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the info.

Looking forward to getting this one going, probably going with Aero Handguard, to complete the look, but still vacillating on the caliber, as I have a couple bolts in 308, and I'm still contemplating the Creedmoor...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No problem.

Anything with a 308 parent case should be fairly straight forward, beyond that I haven't looked into variant calibers on the large frame ARs. I'm pretty versed on variants in the AR15, but as I've already said, there's so many gotchas that this is probably going to be my only one.

That doesn't preclude more uppers, but I prefer intermediate cartidges in rifles newer than my milsurps.

I wasn't a big fan of the aero handguard, but that would simplify things for you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just ordered a 308 - 20" DPMS style barrel, figured it's going to be faster to the range with more rounds downrange, as I don't need to invest in the brass and dies immediately as I've got plenty of full length formed 308's...

And nice that it's basically just a barrel change to the 6.5...unless I get another upper... ;)
Damn AR platform builds will be the death of me...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was going to buy a couple things a week and have it ready by Christmas...

Barrel in last night, looks like the remaining items by Thanksgiving...
LOL

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah, I tout the ability to stretch purchases out as a virtue of building your own, but binge ordering is a thing too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I tout the ability to stretch purchases out as a virtue of building your own, but binge ordering is a thing too.
There was pre-black Friday deals on each site... So...
You know the rest...
Probably more sales this coming week...

I went with a regular Magpul Rifle stock, love that UBR, but Kalifornia is Commiefornia...
Maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel and another upper too....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yet another reason I enjoy a free state.

I get to use unnuetered mags stuffed to the brim and change them without any gymnastics too! LOL.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someday I'll be out of this place.
It's hard when it's home, and the kids are starting families here...
Born and raised here in San Diego, where it's still somewhat conservative, but not as it used to be.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It's only somewhat conservative because it's the West coast navy center, and even that's stretching the description. I've worked in Diego several times, the dynamic compared to the east coast navy center I live near is way different.

I hear you on the family roots thing though, hard to give up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Navy and Marines are huge here, and we definitely support them fully. But the Lib out of SmelLA / Hollyweird definitely flows south.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts