Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking for input... for a new load for my .308 AR since the only rifle powder I have now is H335 (Yes I stocked up) but it was originally purchased for .223 loads. I have several manuals and can workup a working load I am sure... just looking for more of the hands on experience.. anyone else tried this combo H335 and 168gr HPBT ?

Any thoughts...good or bad ....??

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
With a bolt gun, H335 is a bit on the fast side. For an AR and since you stocked up, why not? In my older Lyman 46th, they used H335 for all bullet weights from 110 gr. HPs to the SIERRA 200 gr. HPBT. In another older manual, the SPEER #11, they only used it with the 100 gr. Plinker and 150 gr. bullets for whatever reason, but they were loading for a bolt gun and not an AR. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Sierra manual that has load info for it... and so does Hodgdon website. It is listed just above TAC on the burn rate chart in that manual. My Lyman, Speer and Hornaday books don't list it at all. So, as you stated might be a bit faster than ideal for a bolt gun, but I have 2 semi-auto .308's (FAL and AR-10).

Its good to hear that the older edition of the Lyman has it also.

I might just have to give it a try

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I can't see any reason not to. The rifles I load .308 for are bolt guns. My shooting partner just started reloading a while back so I had him do the ladder loads for his rifle and I made what I thought would be a factory duplication load with TAC. My first 100 yard group fired with the 150 gr. Ballistic Tip at 2819 FPS was under 5/8" and stayed that way throughout. It's probably what I'd try first in any autoloader, myself, but with a barrel 18" or shorter along with good cycling, I could see H335 working just fine. Accurate, who are also owned by Western Powder Co. call 2520 their "Camp Perry" powder because of its popularity among Springfield M1A shooters. TAC is slightly faster than 2520 and should be a good match for an AR. In NOSLER's data, again for bolt guns, TAC did very well. I also have W748 and Varget, but my SP liked the TAC load well enough to call it good and is now making it himself. He intends to use that load for whitetail. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had read about other people doing well with TAC in .308 so that is what started me thinking about using H335 since I had it on hand. I am glad you confirmed that you know somebody using TAC that gives me more certainty that H335 will be just fine also. I am not looking for a max speed burner round just something that shoots decent groups for plinking loads. Not goin huntin with my AR-10 .... but nice to know I could :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts