Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some recommendations to for some medium game lead-free .308 loads? I've used Hornady's 178gr ELD-X to take a buck each of the last two years. While the round groups very well for my rifle and does an exceptional job of turning lungs into pulp and shattering bone, I was pretty disappointed from what I pulled out of the shoulder bone on the exit side two weeks ago. I recovered a total of five separate fragments, totaling probably 2/3rds of the bullet's total mass. Since recovering it, I've been thinking about the other 1/3rd of the mass, likely lost in many small fragments, and wondering about switching to a lead-free projectile.

Any recommendations?

FWIW, barrel is a 22" 1:10.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barnes 150gr TTSX

You could go heavier, but remember the lead-free bullet will be longer than a usual lead jacketed bullet of the same weight...
Looks like they make them in several weights from 130 up to 180, any particular attachment to 150gr? Any particular loading of it you have experience with?

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Looks like they make them in several weights from 130 up to 180, any particular attachment to 150gr? Any particular loading of it you have experience with?
I’ve found it shoots well out of a 1:10 twist, and also it has a little higher velocity than the heavies, should get a little better expansion. I’ve run them straight out of the box...Barnes Vor-TX, I think they call it.

I’ve never hunted with them in .308, but I have buddies that hunt the rifle zone that are pleased with their performance.

I do know that the 52gr .223 TTSX does a number on deer out of 8-10” barrels down in this neck of the prairie.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's what I recovered of the 178gr ELDX. That large section of copper jacket has ZERO lead attached to it. The "cup" was packed full of flesh and bone fragments but after cleaning I was shocked to find it had completely emptied itself of lead.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you want to shoot mono metals, hard to beat Barnes. Most of my hunting ammo is loaded with the Nosler Partition, always works.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I use Nosler 150 gr Partitions too. Not lead free, but it stays together and nails them where they stand of you make a good shot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to picking up some loads to test. Bought some Barnes TTSX in 150gr and 168gr, and Federal Trophy Copper in 150gr and 165gr. Hoping to see how they group at 100 and 200 this weekend...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hornady Makes a GMX bullet that is of full copper construction. I sadly have no experience with it... but it is lead free.

·
Registered
29,572 Posts
Hornady Makes a GMX bullet that is of full copper construction. I sadly have no experience with it... but it is lead free.
Federal also loads the Barnes bullets in a couple of their lines.

I’m sure Remington & Winchester have an all copper bullet load as well, but don’t know what they call it offhand.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Federal also loads the Barnes bullets in a couple of their lines.

I’m sure Remington & Winchester have an all copper bullet load as well, but don’t know what they call it offhand.
I think Remington's parent company bought Barnes, so they use triple shocks now for their all-copper projectiles. I think Federal calls their all-copper load the Trophy Copper.

Sadly, the only experience I have with all copper projectiles is that since they don't have any soft material (such as lead), I think it requires more force for the projectile to obturate into the lands and grooves, which means they run at a higher pressure and lower velocities than lead core bullets. I was never able to get my TTSX reloads up to the kind of velocities I got with lead core projectiles, so that was my assumption.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts