Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy all,

I am going to buy some bolt action in one of those calibers but don't know which one !!!

I am interested in lethality,accuracy,speed and consistency between these 2 calibers! I would use it for all-around hunting rifle and long range target shooting!

My choice would bee tikka R3 or R700,but don't know which model.

Please share your experience with me because gun culture and availability back here a lot lover than in USA and everyone sticks to the .30-06,8x57 and 7,62x39 like there are no other calibers in the whole planet :confused:

Accuracy (and reloading in the future) is my greatest concern and R700 SPS is my most probable choice!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I was mulling over the same question and came up with .308.

I heard they had to make a new smaller target in competition shooting because the .308 was so much more accurate. I also like it because it is a common military round. I may end up with a HK91 or SA SOCOM so .308 would mean 1 less caliber for me also.

I would say your main thing to consider is ammo availiability. I don't know how readily availiable the .308 or 7.62x51 is to you. I would make my judgement based on that mostly.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I picked the 308 because the trijectory is flatter... I believe the energy is higher on the 06, but the over all performance is what helped me make that decision.. IMO

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have never owned anything in 308, but own two 30-06s and have no complaints.

My sporterized 03 Springfield throws a 1.5" 100yd group with cheapo Winchester Power Point ammo and every time I shoot a deer or pig, in the freezer they go.

No complaints about the 30-06's accuracy or power. The 308? I am sure its in the same league but with my luck with all things 30-06, I never saw the need for one.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
From my personal observations, I would say power and accuracy are about equal. The .30-06 does seem to shoot a little flatter once you get out past about 400 yards, but the difference is minimal.

My Ruger M77V in .308 is my "go to" big game rifle now, but I still shoot an awful lot of .30-06 through both military and sporting rifles. The biggest reason I switched for hunting is that I like the short action length of the .308...the .30-06 never failed to perform for me.

In your situation, I would start out with whatever is most commonly available in your area. Then if you decide you want to expand your collection, start picking up harder to find calibers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We don't have military ammo in the free sail!

.30-06 is a bit more available,but for reloading i can find more info on .308 and it burns less powder and gives better accuracy (how much better!?)

But how about lethality!

It looks almost identical to 8x57mm in the ballistic charts but in reality it is one whole different story!
8x57mm is must have,and I will bought one old Nazi K98 from one man,very accurate and smooth action gun!
Much smoother than most M-48 over here,capable of sub-MOA with Yugo sniper ammo,yep,more than 60yr old,but deadly and accurate like it was made yesterday!
Great condition,great country of production!:rolleyes:

But I won't ruin it with scope mounts and things like that,it is collector peace and would preserve it like so!

I gone a bit off topic:oops: didn't I!

Anyway,I need something for practical use now!
Does anyone know REAL difference in lethallity,accuracy and consistency between 30-06 and .308 !?
Aviability is not much concern!
And your experience with r700 and tikka rifles in these two callibers!?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Unless you have some specific needs, 30-06 and 308 are pratically identical.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You can launch heavier bullets with the 30-06. Might make it more attractive if you are going after elk, bear or moose. Otherwise, yes, for deer or pigs, either the 308 or 30-06 will get the job done.

(so will many other rounds like the 8x57 that was mentioned above...but thats another post)

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Consider this as well, the .308 is designed around a short action while the 30-06 is long action. The .308 rifle will be a tad lighter and so will the ammo. .308 is a very inheranly accurate round and is very easy to relaod for. I think the only thing your going to find is that the 30-06 will launch heavier bullets while the .308 is topped out with 180 grain bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
yea i have the same dilemna too. I planned to get a garand someday so 30-06 would be good but at the same time the longest range targets at the range is 300 yards. AIM Surplus has some cheap surplus german .308 now too.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You can sometimes find cheap M2 surplus ball in 30-06 as well. The CMP used to sell it for a good price (an it is good stuff) and almost every gun show has somebody selling cans of M2 ball.

Wal Mart also sells Winchester 150gr power point 30-06 for around 12 dollars a box of 20 and many online reatilers sell S&B and Korean surplus M2 at very good prices.

Maybe not a common in cheap surplus form as 308...but 30-06 is still very much out there.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
yea i wanted to get some surplus 30-06 from CMP but i have to wait for my CHL to apply for CMP. Same place I want to get my garand at too

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
go with the 300 winchester mag or WSM. IF you reload that way you can download to 308 levels for most stuff but if you need the extra punch or range you can load full power. but if you dont reload go for the 308. i shoot magtech ammo that is pretty cheap. or i reload. i havent seen too many 3006 FMJ practice rounds. most 06 rounds are for hunting and therefore are expensive.

i was going to get a 7mm rifle a while back and was going to get the 7mm-08 but i went with the 7mm remington magnum for the reasons i stated above. i can shoot loads equal to the 7mm-08 for the most part so the recoil isnt bad but then if i want i can load some full power loads. but like i said this only goes if your reloading.
i like having the option to get more power if i want with just a simple change in charge weight/powder

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh but keep in mind that the surplus 30-06 ammo WILL run out someday.

but a 06 rifle might be cheapper to get if you buy used since its not as of a "IN" round as the 308 is these days

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Hey guys, he lives in CROATIA! I really dont think he will be able to buy surplus ammo in the states.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If I lived in Croatia...I'd be all over a nice Yugoslavian M48 or Russian capture K98k in 8x57mm. Easier to find, powerful, reliable and easier to find ammo for.

The Czechs right next door crank out tons of 8x57mm ammo at the S&B plant. Probably cheaper than any 308 or 30-06.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
The 30-06 has more grain weights to choose from all the way up to 220. It tends to be more popular for hunting big game and found all over the world. The NATO 7.62x51 is popular but beware that a .308 chambered rifle will be different than a 7.62mm x 51.

I have been killing deer for many years with a 168gr ballistic tip. Many over 300 plus yards.

·
Premium Member
127,089 Posts
I have fired many rounds of both calibers over the years. For some reason I favor the .308. There is nothing scientific about that statement it's just a gut feeling.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts