Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a nice but not braking the bank 30-06 or a .270 maby something like a Savage?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've heard that the savages are good rifles, you deer or multi-purpose hunting?

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mostly deer hunting, however kinda want the ability to hunter other game...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Savage 110 30-06 can't go wrong with the 30-06...It's been around 100 years for a reason...You can either load up with 150 grain or I like 180 grain myself...some bears in deer country of KY i'll be hunting this year...Chuck Hawks opinion if you are in bear country you better be prepared for them...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The .30-06 is the way to go for just about any "deer-size" game in North America. The Savage 110 is a great rifle, as is the newer Remington 700 SPS. For a budget rifle that won't break the bank and a good, reliable and fairly accurate rifle, check out the Remington 710 in .30-06. They come equipped with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope, accessories for $350 or less.

O

·
0 Posts
Another option is the "new" mossberg 100 ATR...Comes in a slew of different calibers, including the '06. Some of them also come with scope and rings. for around 350-400

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The savage 110 you can buy in combo deal as well...Also forgot about the Marlin XL7 read good things about it on GunBlast.com - Table of Contents Also Mossberg 4x4...One of these will be my next hunting rifle...I don't beleive in spending $1500 on a rifle I'm going to take into the woods...Marlin and Savage have adjustable triggers...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The savage might be your best deal out there. A package deal (with scope and sling included) can be had for about 350, at least where I'm at. You can get other rifle/scope combos for around that price (remington 770 for example), but the savage is easily the highest quality for that price.

If your willing to spend about 400-500 for just a rifle and another 200 or so for a scope than you can probably pick up just about any decent rifle and have a good combo.

As far as caliber goes, for deer and black bear, the difference between 270 and 30-06 as far as on game performance, is like the difference between getting whacked with a can of green paint and getting whacked with a can of white paint. If you're gonna be trying for elk or larger than go with a 30-06 though the 270 is a perfectly capable round if you choose to use it.

Neither is any harder to find at stores, if a place has 30-06 than its got 270 and probably at the same price, so availability isnt an issue with either. The only thing I can really say is significantly different between the two calibers is that the 270 has generally softer recoil. The 30-06 is considered by most to be the realistic limit for what is comfortable to shoot, and if you're a smaller framed guy like myself it's actually a little too much to be fun to shoot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Choosing a rifle is a lot like buying a car. You have to go with what type action, stock, and finish that you like best.
As for the caliber, I would suggest the 30-06. Just because most all ammo dealers will have it in stock. They also usually have several different loads on hand. If you reload the options are endless. I have loaded everything from a 55gr. to a 180gr. However the 270 is a very good caliber also.

AKD

·
Registered
118 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard composite stock recently purchased for 399. 30-06 for versatility, Weatherby for 1 1/2 inch or less groups at 100 yards and lifetime warranty. Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The most popular deer rifle for the past 75 years has been the Marlin 336 .30/30 or the Winchester '94 .30/30. They still work great! The deer havent gotten any bigger!
Charlie Boulding, 2 time Yukon Quest Winner, 2nd place Iditerod Winner, uses the .30/30 for everything from badger to Moose. (Including Bear...Bigguns!). Lives in the bush 30 miles up-stream, north of Manley, on the Tannanaugh River, AK. He's da real deal! He has been mushing dogs and living in the bush for 30 years!! If it's good enough for him up there, it's good enough for me here in NC!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts