Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at the range shooting my '06 today with some 180gr remington core-lok. They were shooting and grouping great until I had a failure to fire. The firing pin definitively hit the primer (no shallow strike). I tried to fire the round again and nothing. Chambered a new round and it worked fine. The rifle shot great the rest of the day but the FTF has sort of turned me off from the remingtons. What would cause the FTF. On a side note the person I was shooting with also had a FTF with his 270 core-lok.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I'm assuming that you inspected the firing pin strike point on the primer. If you did and the primer was struck approximate center, and you heard no noise to indicate the primer went off, then it sounds like the you got a bad round, specifically with a bad primer. All I can say is it's disturbing, but it does happen. I'd call remington, provide them with the details, and express your dissatisfaction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rifle was a Colt Light Rifle and I did inspect all possible parts and causes of the problem. The firing pin did strike the primer. I have never had or even heard of a FTF on a rifle round. How common are they? [/i]

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
Not sure how common it is in centerfire rifle ammo. I've had it happen once. One thing that I forgot to ask - how old is the ammo?

I don't think the issue is limited to Remington. I had a failure on one of my HydroShock 9mm rounds this year. The ammo was a few years old and past the period that I normally purge it. However, it is my defense ammunition!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
It could have been a bad primer, it happens. It could have also been a primer not seated all the way and when the firing pin hit it, the primer seated but moving inside of the primer pocket absorbed all of the firing pins energy. I dont use Remington primers or ammo for the most part. While shooting thousands of pistol rounds per year though I have taken note that winchester primers tend to be duds about 1 out of every couple or several thousand. Several people I shoot with have noted the same and we all use Federal. it can happen with any of them though I suppose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts