Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a 30/06 bolt action for punching paper at the range and maybe hunting down the road, but am not really sure which have the best MOA. Are they as accurate as some of the better 308 rifles? Thanks for any help you all could give me!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
yes 30-06 is virtually as accurate, from my humble reading in the last year or two, most of the record holders at most competitive distances, most of the champions etc shoot .308, but its miniscule differences in performance for a hobby shooter or hunter.

I only have a mauser .308 and a FN FAL which is .308. If i got a new bolt gun i would get .308 just for simplicity.

there is very little performance difference between .308 and 30-06, virtual same killing power, similar characteristics all around.

·
Registered
566 Posts
the only place the 06 out shines the 308 is with heavier bullets 180/200 gr loads.I would think for accuracy it would depend more on the shooter/rifle than cal. both are excellent.
pete

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Check the twist rate and match it to the hunting you plan on doing, a 10" and a 12" twist is standard. You will want a faster twist rate for the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Honestly, if you have a good rifle, it will probably shoot better than you will. The accuracy difference between a .30-06 and .308 is small, generally with the advantage going to the .308 though.

If you got the cash, than there are plenty of rifles out there that have accuracy guarantees. I know that weatherby has a line of 1 moa rifles, and I'm pretty sure that kimbers rifles are guaranteed for 1/2 moa (all of that is with quality ammo of course). They will definitely cost you some money though.

Almost all good bolt guns are capable of 1 moa accuracy, although it will take some tinkering with the trigger, floating the barrel on some, glass bedding the action maybe, and like I said before finding the right ammo for it.

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts
Weatherby Vanguard 30.06

...remains the only production rifle that comes with a factory-shot target as your assurance of guaranteed accuracy.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Most current production commercial rifles (Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, etc.) are all capable of MOA accuracy with proper ammunition (NOT surplus) and by free-floating the barrel (if not already floated). Also, with many current production rifles, the triggers are user adjustable for weight of pull, etc.

Weatherby Vanguard Rifles have a 1.5", 3-shot group @ 100yds accuracy guarantee and most will shoot better than that.

Remington does not offer a guarantee, but I have yet to see a 700 from the factory that wouldn't hold right around MOA with quality ammo, a trigger adjustment, free-floating the barrel and if the shooter does his/her part. Also, the Remington has a fantastic trigger that is user adjustable as low as around 2lbs (although I wouldn't recommend going that low for a hunting rifle). The excellent trigger contributes greatly to its accuracy potential.

The Win Model 70, while not a guarantee, is said by Winchester to be capable of MOA accuracy with quality ammo, optics and conditions (whatever that means). I have not shot one of the new M70's, but everything I have read shows that they are good, solid rifles.

Kimber...to my knowledge...does not offer a guarantee on accuracy, but the two 8400 rifles (one in 308 and one in .30-06) that I have fired were just incredible rifles. The .308 was a sub-MOA rifle with match ammo and the .30-06 was certainly not much more than MOA. An excellent trigger and already free-floated. These rifles are expensive, but offer a lot of promise to the paper-puncher and the hunter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a pre-64 Winchester model 70 in .30-06 that shoots a ragged hole group at 100 yards, and a friend of mine has a Ruger M77 MKII that's no slouch either. Both are fine to look at, too.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a sporterized M1903 Springfield that wears Dad's old Weaver K4 scope and it will group like that Weatherby Vanguard...or very close to it.

Yes, the 30-06 can be very accurate...don't let anybody tell you it can't. It also kills deer and pigs like lightning - I have put many in the freezer with the 06 and trust it to the ends of the earth.

A very versatile and effective round, if you ask me. Theres also alot of history behind this round and you'll find it is one of the number one big game rounds in this country.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I generally feel that if you're looking for a really long range gun (heavy stock, heavy barrel, very high end scope) a .308 is the top pick. However, for just about anything else (especially hunting) the pick goes to 30-06. The odds of most of us being able to see the huge accuracy differences aren't too great.

Edit:
Here's a range report with my Remington 700 30-06. I'm far from an expert shot and the gun is basically stock with an inexpensive scope, but it's good enough for hunting.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/86503-remington-700-range-report-then-some.html

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help and info! I'm going to Cabela's today to try and check some of them out. I really want one with a smooth bolt, detachable magazine, and a bolt lock if possible...I know a lot of .308's have these just have to find one in 30/06 since I already have a ton of the ammo.

·
Registered
366 Posts
All things considered, you can't beat a Remington 700. Another good thing is that there are plenty of them on the used market.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IMHO, the .30-06 is overpowered for most deer at typical ranges.
I think the .270 is too.

I agree. I shot a deer last weekend with my Remington 700 30-06 from about 100 yards. The exit wound was big enough to fit a beer can in. It was probably also because I was using Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips :lol:. I knew the 30-06 would be a little overkill but I bought it because I plan on owning it forever and using it in different locations to hunt different types of game.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I have opted for the .308 over the 30.06 for one reason: action length. I prefer the short action, especially have to lug the gun all over when hunting. Other than that, either/or....

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
the nice thing about the .06 is the wide range in bullet weights. If you're feeling it's overkill, use lighter bullets (I took an antelope with a 168 grain and it wasn't overkill at all, but to each his own).

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the 30.06 is as accurate as the 308 then why don't snipers use the 06?. I can shoot the same hole at 100 yards with my .308 Remington PSS, trigger job, bedded, lapped etc etc etc. I hand load my own and let em rip. Of course the 06 is a way better hunting gun with a larger range of bullet weights.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking of getting a T3-Light in 30-06, unless I scope the Garand I have on the way from CMP.

·
Premium Member
8,237 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts