Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

I made a huge mistake last week and took my wife shooting with a borrowed Kimber Custom TLE II. Both of us fell in love with this weapon and we are both pretty much dying to buy one. Of course, I already have a pistol so that means my wife gets the first 1911. However, the 5" isn't really practical for her.

The question is, how is the recoil on the shorter 1911's? Does a 3" feel pretty much like a 5"? Is a 4" close enough? My wife doesn't want anything with recoil like my XD40 Service, and she likes the recoil of the 5" Kimber better than the recoil on my 9mm S&W Sigma. This gun is primarily to be her CCW so the 5" just isn't practical (she can't conceal it and it's too heavy). I'm hoping to try out a Springfield Champion or an RIA Compact.

Also, the trigger pull was a favorite for the both of us. How is the trigger pull on most GI models? Is the work to smooth it out something I can do as a "lay" gunsmith?

Thanks!

joe

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
3 inchers kick like mules, 4 inches kick pretty good, but very managable, and a 5 inch is usually buttery smooth with only minor muzzle flip... this is all from my own experience.

the fun part is.. i love shooting my 3 inch colt, it makes you very aware of how your gripping and standing when shooting, and i swear i shoot it better than my own 4inch commander.

see if you can find a SA EMP in 9mm.. not sure how it kicks, but it couldnt have the same kick as a 3 inch .45 hehe.

for what its worth, if i had to pick between my commander and my defender.. i'd take my defender.

cheers

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
The Springfield Armory EMP is a fine shooting little pistol, 3" barrel and all. My 9MM EMP has been
my daily companion for several months. This gun is fun to shoot.

This is my new Springfield Armory stainless steel Loaded Champion. It has a 4" barrel and is very
easy to shoot as well. I have only put 200 rounds through it so far. This is one is a fine handling .45 ACP.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nuthin but 5" for me. Solid steel. The only way to fly.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Nuthin but 5" for me. Solid steel. The only way to fly.
Must be a Texas thing, 'cause I'm with ya 100%!

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
4" is reliable and easy to carry, not to bad on recoil for me. 5" is easier on recoil for sure, dude to weight, but alot of gun to carry.

·
Registered
445 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
+1 on the EMP 9mm awsome to shoot kicks no more than my service xd 9mm due to the wieght if you can afford it get her this one if not and sticking with a .45acp get a commander from colt or a springfield 4'' they kick a bit more but not much more than the 5''

·
Registered
190 Posts
one of my female friends that stand 5' 2" maybe 125 if that, shot my ultra she went out the next day and picked up an ultra cdp. She loves it and has not complained about recoil once. I have not really ever noticed a diff in recoil between 3" & 4" barrels. ultra's and micro's are very easy to conceal. And yes the emp is getting quite the fan base, due to it shooting and handeling like a 1911, but with less recoil.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the input. It's pretty helpful.

What do the 4" versions cost?

joe
The normal size would be 4.25" Commander size.

And the price range will be from ~$400 to as much as you want to spend.

My current drooling gun is the Sig C3 which is a lightweight frame in the Officer size (6 rounds) with the Commander sized slide. Those run right around $950

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
Must be a Texas thing, 'cause I'm with ya 100%!

Cheers! M2
i forgot ... can you open carry in texas?

if i could open carry i would love to carry a full size 5 inch gun.

i am a big enough guy it wouldnt bother me at all, but i have a feeling the wifey is not as big as me 6'4" 240lbs she is probably 100 lbs lighter and a foot shorter. Thats a big gun for a little lady.

that 9mm EMP was what came to mind if she likes 1911, needs it to be small to hide it, and wants it to shoot real smooth and mild.

also have her watch some of the springer precision videos there is a little lady on there letting loose with a few different brands of .45s i think a 1911, and a xd and maybe others and she was i think 105 lbs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts