Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or shouldn't SA have included a 3/32 punch in the XDm kit if they were going to require it to change the backstraps? I must have gone to 7 or 8 different stores and called 3 or 4 more in my area looking for one of these things, and never found one. I finally went on eBay and ordered one there.

I'm just sayin', wouldn't have made sense to include it along with all the other stuff in the box.:-?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is it just me or shouldn't SA have included a 3/32 punch in the XDm kit if they were going to require it to change the backstraps? I must have gone to 7 or 8 different stores and called 3 or 4 more in my area looking for one of these things, and never found one. I finally went on eBay and ordered one there.

I'm just sayin', wouldn't have made sense to include it along with all the other stuff in the box.:-?
That's weird. My local Sears had a couple hanging on their shelves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I only have basic tools at my place, didn't have a 3/32 pinch/punch (manual calls it a pinch) so after I got home from the gun shop I hopped back in the car to show off my XDM to my Dad and borrow his 3/32. The rod was in there pretty tight and got dinged up a bit when removing it, despite being as careful as possible. Does anyone know if they perhaps make these with a hard rubber/plastic on the tip that won't mar the rod?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can see why they wouldn't include one with the gear kit, as it's not "required" for regular operation or cleaning.

My first pistol on the other hand (a cheapo hi-point) required a punch for dis-assembly, didn't come with one nor did it mention in the documentation about needing one. Luckily I had thought enough to ask the dealer about cleaning since it wasn't obvious upon handling.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I picked up 3/32 pin punch as one of a set at Harbor Freight really cheap. They're sold at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Got mine at Harbor Freight Tools.

But yeah, it would have made sense for SA to include one in the kit

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up 3/32 pin punch as one of a set at Harbor Freight really cheap. They're sold at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.
I went to 3 Lowes, 2 Home Depots, 2 Ace Hardwares and 3 different auto parts stores. I guess I just live in the wrong area.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
:? It would make sense to include such a tool in the kit to change the grips. My Glock Gen4 came with one and is no-mar plastic.

·
Registered
407 Posts

I only have basic tools at my place, didn't have a 3/32 pinch/punch (manual calls it a pinch) so after I got home from the gun shop I hopped back in the car to show off my XDM to my Dad and borrow his 3/32. The rod was in there pretty tight and got dinged up a bit when removing it, despite being as careful as possible. Does anyone know if they perhaps make these with a hard rubber/plastic on the tip that won't mar the rod?
Get a "roll pin punch" they are made to knock out those types of pins without damaging them. If no one in your area carries them, call a tool truck. Look up Snap On Tools/Matco Tools/Mac Tools. They are all different manufactures of REALLY high quality and sometimes REALLY expensive. You've probably seen the trucks around town and never even noticed them. They sell tools to mechanics shops, their trucks are like a traveling sales counter, and when you call you usually reach the cell phone of the delivery driver. When they answer just tell them you're looking to buy a 3/32 roll pin punch. They will know exactly what you're talking about and probably have it on the truck already without having to order it. (warning it may cost more then $5) just keep in mind that whenever you get ahold of them you will probably have to meet them somewhere on their route. Most of them aren't going to come to your house just to sell a little punch when they can stop at their regular customers shop's and sell a $10,000 tool box (I wish I was joking). This may not be the most cost effective way to obtain a little punch but if it's your quickest option (versus ordering online) sometimes its the best one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get a "roll pin punch" they are made to knock out those types of pins without damaging them. If no one in your area carries them, call a tool truck. Look up Snap On Tools/Matco Tools/Mac Tools. They are all different manufactures of REALLY high quality and sometimes REALLY expensive. You've probably seen the trucks around town and never even noticed them. They sell tools to mechanics shops, their trucks are like a traveling sales counter, and when you call you usually reach the cell phone of the delivery driver. When they answer just tell them you're looking to buy a 3/32 roll pin punch. They will know exactly what you're talking about and probably have it on the truck already without having to order it. (warning it may cost more then $5) just keep in mind that whenever you get ahold of them you will probably have to meet them somewhere on their route. Most of them aren't going to come to your house just to sell a little punch when they can stop at their regular customers shop's and sell a $10,000 tool box (I wish I was joking). This may not be the most cost effective way to obtain a little punch but if it's your quickest option (versus ordering online) sometimes its the best one.

Thanks for the info, now that you have me thinking about it, I'm fairly sure one of those drivers lives right near me.

I know snap on tools and equipment are expensive, yet well worth it, but I fail to see why anyone would spend 10K on a toolbox alone (unless it was a package deal with a variety of tools included).

·
Registered
129 Posts
The tool I used, that seemed to work pretty well, was the Glock armorer's tool. I got one a long time back so I could detail strip my G17 if needed and still have it. Happens to be the right size and I used it successfully to change the backstrap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to 3 Lowes, 2 Home Depots, 2 Ace Hardwares and 3 different auto parts stores. I guess I just live in the wrong area.
I had the same issue before driving 65 miles to get a Weaver punch set. Great set BTW!

·
Registered
87 Posts

I guess you do. I found mine at Harbor freight. A finishing nail could have served as a substitute in an a emergency. I'm glad my XD fits my hand just fine :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
It would have been nice if it was included, but no big deal to me. I didn't feel like driving to the store so I picked a nail out of my supply that was the right diameter then after a few seconds on the bench grinder i had a punch. Worked great. I put the large one on and don't intend to change it out. If I thought I would be changing back and forth i would get a real punch, but for my one time use my nail worked great.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I used a nail I found in the garage.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Not hard to find. Top right drawer of the tool box had 3 of them...

Years and years ago, I was faced with either paying for auto repairs or buying the tools and doing it myself for about the same $$$. I bought the tools. Both ways result in the car getting fixed, but doing it myself also resulted in a tool box that is now full and a great deal of experience fixing broken things! Now when things break and the cost to take it somewhere is astronomical (and the person may or may not even be as good as I am!) all I have to do is buy the part.

You almost can't go wrong buying tools. If you go to places like harbor junk, just plan on that being the set of tools you loan out. Save up and buy good tools.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts