Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really like my XDs 9mm. It is the gun I didn't want to like. Now I am considering a 45 for carry. It would be my first. Do you think 3.3 or 4? I thought the mass of the 4 would be better for functionality and recoil.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have the XDs 9 and XDs 4.0 in 45 as well. I have range time with the 3.3 45 and personally, prefer the 4.0 for two reasons. First is the perceived reduced recoil, it's slightly less IMO. The second is ballistics, the slightly longer barrel length gives that very slight increase in velocity, perhaps ensuring adequate penetration and expansion. Obviously .7 inches isn't much and the may not be much of a difference, if any at all. All in my perception!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry the 3" in .45 acp and love it. I have no trouble with printing and actually forget I have it on after awhile it's so light. Love it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would go for the 4". .700 isn't that much but it is still mass to reduce recoil.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have no problem with recoil with my 3.3 XDS45. Ballistic tests with 230gr. standard pressure HST and Ranger T/PDX-1 have been shown to penetrate and expanded very well in the 3.3" model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The 3.3 model is easier to conceal but I think the 4 inch model would give you a broader range of options when it comes to defensive choices. Newer hollow point designs work fine in the 3.3 but less expensive options will perform better in the 4". Hollow points will also be more reliable in colder weather when clothing becomes thicker.

I personally own the 3.3 and just use Underwood ammo. I say handle both of them and see what you like the best. I carry the 3.3 daily in my pocket with no worries.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I enjoy my 3.3 .45 and am buying a second one.

I don't see an advantage in the extra .07 length.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The 3.3 model is easier to conceal but I think the 4 inch model would give you a broader range of options when it comes to defensive choices. Newer hollow point designs work fine in the 3.3 but less expensive options will perform better in the 4". Hollow points will also be more reliable in colder weather when clothing becomes thicker.

I personally own the 3.3 and just use Underwood ammo. I say handle both of them and see what you like the best. I carry the 3.3 daily in my pocket with no worries.
I don't understand the part in red. A bare gel test will have HP ammo expand more reliably, but when 4 layers of denim (clothing barrier) are added, it can clog a HP bullet and keep it from expanding. Most high quality and even some lower quality HP ammo can pass it, but more clothing equals a higher chance it might not expand.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The longer sight radius of the 4" barrel gives you a slight advantage when aiming. Plus, another 30-40 fps velocity. The longer barrel does not make it harder to conceal. It is still very thin overall with a thin and short grip, just like the 3.3".

·
Registered
357 Posts
Isn't the 4" really designed to get more 1911 guys into the poly world? If you're carrying a 1911, then you may want the 4". Otherwise, it's really not going to make a nickels worth of difference. Barrel length isn't the tough part of concealment.

Do you want to buy different holsters, or do you want to utilize the same one you have?

Do you want something different to play with? You already have a 3.3, why not pick up the 4" to see for yourself.

Me, I'd get the 3.3. I love my .45 xds and I can't imagine that the tiny barrel length difference is going to make me shoot in perceptibly better in a real life situation. Maybe if I was doing CCW shooting competitions....

In short, get either one, you'll love it. But if you get the 4" you're going to have to buy another holster, that's what would keep me from doing it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
... if you get the 4" you're going to have to buy another holster...
Boggart,

That's not EXACTLY true. It would depend on what holster you're talking about.

I have a 3.3" XDS .45, and 3 holsters for it. 2 of them would work as well for a 4.0" XDS .45 as they do for my 3.3" XDS. It depends on how the holster is made.

Having said that, I like my 3.3" XDS.

Is it more concealable than a 4.0" version? Maybe marginally so.

Is the 4.0" better than the 3.3"? Maybe, again marginally.

I don't think there's enough difference to care about.

Duane

·
Registered
60 Posts
I feel my 4 is smoother from the additional length ....printing is most important with & its still top dog either length .... matter of preference

·
Registered
62 Posts
I carry the XDS 3.3 and like it a lot. At the LGS this week and he had the 4 inch version. so I asked to look at it It felt very unbalanced and muzzle heavy to me compared to the 3.3 maybe due to my big meat hooks but it seemed the 4.o wanted to tilt down, Nor I own and shoot S&W wheel guns in 4, 6, and 8 3/8 barrels and have not had that feeling at all.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My 3.3 and 4.0 also both fit my crossbreed just fine. so it does depend on the holster you have. I don't think that one hides better than the other beings the barrel is where the extra length is and that's inside your pants buy 3/4 an inch on an inside the waist band model, the grip is the same on both. I seem to shoot better groups with my 4.0...buyers choice I guess, both are pretty sweet pistols.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
For me, shooting them side-by-side, the 4.0 feels nicer to shoot than the 3.3, but 'feeling' can be subjective.
As for needing to get another holster... as mentioned, it depends on the holster he already has. If it's an open bottom, like the CBST (or CBMT)... the current hoster would work just fine. If it's a closed Bottom holster... Then yeah, unless he simply 'chops' the closed bottom. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your already have a great carry gun, your XDS 9. But that would not stop me from buying an XDS in 45. Since you have the 3.3 9mm, I'd probably go with the 4". No real reason but a tad longer sight radius. Most likely you will be a bit more accurate with the 4". I know I shoot much more accurate with my full size XDs (plural) than I do with my XD subcompact

·
Registered
35 Posts
New member to the forums. Just bought the XDS in 45 in the 4". I had it sitting on the counter with a 3.3 and handled them both. To me there wasn't much difference in the balance and doesn't look to me to be too much difference in ability to conceal. I've been carrying a Ruger LCR 38 special IWB for a while so I've gotten over my printing anxiety.

Looking forward to getting to the range.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts