Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help trouble shooting F2F once each during my last 2 visits to the range.

I clean it religiously - each time I was about 100 rnds through a total of 200 rounds. I used a different magazine each time, the first failure was about 6 shots in and the next was the last one in the magazine. To add to the puzzle, I have a 9mm EFK conversion barrel that hasn't had a single failure of any kind over the same total # of rounds.

Both times the case was wedged into the top of the chamber and I could see a small deformed spot on the edge of the case. The range is 'clean' so they only allow CCI Blazer with aluminum cases but I was able to replicate with a couple other types of ammo just fitting it into the barrel at the same angle.

Should I try polishing the ramp or top of the chamber? If so, what should I use - polishing compound with a dremel buffer wheel?

It bugs me that I feel like I can rely on the conversion barrel with potential extraction issues more than the stock barrel.

Aside from that it was a great day at the range - I finally dropped into "the zone" I remember from shooting as a kid, where it feels like your body is on autopilot and you're just along for the ride. I was able to keep 12 shots to a 3" group at 10 yards 3 different times, the best group was the last 12 rounds I shot for a 2.5" group - usually things tend to drop off as fatigue sets in. I just started shooting with both eyes open and it really improved things drastically. The other change was that I picked up the tempo plus the trigger has really broken in well. I love this gun.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It sounds like you had a good day.. but I would be troubled if I had two FTF in the first two hundred rounds from my new pistol. I have close to 7k through my XD9, not a single hic-up.. not one. And I have abused this pistol horribly!!!

If I were you, I would call Springfield and describe your problem to them. You have a lifetime warranty, and SA will make it right.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had FTF with reloads I polished the feedramp, and chamber and the problems went away. You can also send it to springfield and they'll fix if for you if you don't want to mess with doing it yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Next time you load your mags, give em a good wack on the back with the palm of your hand. It makes sure that all of the rounds are a far back as possible. I had the same problem with the first pistol I ever had (not an XD). After someone showed me that little trick, I never had another stovepipe. Its become a habit now and I do it with all my mags and no problems, not even with the Kel-tec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. Whacking the back of the magazine is a new one I'll try.

I hit the ramp and chamber with a little polish last night and it improved things a lot. I can't get it to wedge in the same way so I think there may have been some tooling mark or imperfection that it was hanging up on.

On the unexpected upside, my wife knew it was bugging me and when I said I thought I fixed it she said "Well, you'll just have to try it out again this weekend". Usually she gripes if I go shoot more than once a month - maybe I'll start having more malfunctions . . . :p

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Trade it in for a XD9, problem solved. I have seen this problem in so many .40 guns it is not funny. The only one I had that fed .40 reliably was a HK P2000. I am pretty certain it is due to the stubby, short .40 round profile and the awkward feed angles. Having a conical bullet seems to agravate it. There is a reason I have removed the .40 caliber from my inventory. It is an overhyped and poorly designed stop-gap measure made for the LEO community. I doubt it is really more effective then a good factory 9mm JHP defensive load.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
manygunner said:
Trade it in for a XD9, problem solved. I have seen this problem in so many .40 guns it is not funny. The only one I had that fed .40 reliably was a HK P2000. I am pretty certain it is due to the stubby, short .40 round profile and the awkward feed angles. Having a conical bullet seems to agravate it. There is a reason I have removed the .40 caliber from my inventory. It is an overhyped and poorly designed stop-gap measure made for the LEO community. I doubt it is really more effective then a good factory 9mm JHP defensive load.
After having nothing but trouble with my first XD-40 Service I bought another brand, a Taurus Millennium Pro PT-140. This inexpensive, 3" barrel, semiauto has performed flawlessly with four different brands of .40 ammo I've fed it. This convinced me not to believe the speculation out there that problems were due to the design of the .40 cartridge.

Springfield replaced my XD-40 and this one has perfermed flawlessly! I can only conclude that the design of the .40 cartridge is not the problem.

my .02,

Tom

·
Registered
359 Posts
Agreed,

My Walther P99 in .40 has performed flawlessly for 1200 rounds. From round zero to round 1200, I have had no issues whatsoever with any malfunctions or failures. It's a blast to shoot, and I trust it completely.

-stunks

·
Registered
18 Posts
i tried running some PMC target ammo through my 40XD tac - it was crap.

the first 50 box, i had i real issue with the rounds feeding. i took the second box into my reloading shop and gave them a good crimp - presto - they ran through flawlessly. i have ran 1000 handloaded rounds through my XD 40, no a single issue with my rounds. Winchester white box and Federals - no problems. i guess you get what you pay for in ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts