Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only put about 6 or 7 mags through my XD(M) 9mm 3.8 bi-tone compact, but with the 19 round mag fully loaded, the second round will jam. Anyone else have this problem? My 13 rounder has never done it. Besides that, I love the gun except my bad habit of shooting down and to the right (I'm a lefty).

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
My guess would be that you need to take the magazine apart and clean it.
The follower is probably sticking slightly, as it is pushed up by the spring, and once you get past that sticking point, it functions normally.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Your problem is probably because it's a bi-tone. An all black one wouldn't have done that.
LOL ... Paint fixes everything :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your problem is probably because it's a bi-tone. An all black one wouldn't have done that.
Thanks, very informative, well thought out reply. :rolleyes:

My guess would be that you need to take the magazine apart and clean it.
The follower is probably sticking slightly, as it is pushed up by the spring, and once you get past that sticking point, it functions normally.

Ok, I will do that, but I purchased this gun new, and have only loaded the one 19 rounder 3 times. Twice with 19 rounds where it jammed both times, and the other time only 16 rounds and it functioned properly.
These are reloads I have been getting from my local gunsmith and they performed flawlessly in my old XD 9c. I suppose they could be the culprit, but not sure. I may take it out and try some new Winchester rounds through it.
Thanks for the response, I just wasn't sure if others had this problem.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Ok, I will do that, but I purchased this gun new, and have only loaded the one 19 rounder 3 times. Twice with 19 rounds where it jammed both times, and the other time only 16 rounds and it functioned properly.
These are reloads I have been getting from my local gunsmith and they performed flawlessly in my old XD 9c. I suppose they could be the culprit, but not sure. I may take it out and try some new Winchester rounds through it.
Thanks for the response, I just wasn't sure if others had this problem.
It's not an ammo issue, IMO ... And it happening when fully loaded tells me your problem is at the bottom of the magazine.

Loading 19 pushes the follower closer to the bottom, and that's when you have the problem ... That's why when you only load 16 it works properly.

So,
When you take the magazine apart, makes sure there is nothing that might be catching on the follower ... It should be smooth, and the inside of the magazine should be smooth.

You should be able to easily move the follower in the tube.

Also, make sure you don't let the little piece under the keeper get sent across the room ... It might be hard to find (I know that from experience).

No solvents, just a rag ... Unless you find a burr, then some very fine sandpaper, that's all you'll need.

But I'm pretty sure there's just something in there.

Give us an update, when you get it fixed/figure out what's wrong.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry. I can't experiment with a full 19 round magazine with my XDm 3.8 compact 9mm . My "blue" state requires all my magazines to be 10 rounds or less. I had to have all my mags permanently blocked.

A more than ten round mag in the hand gun is a full felony.

But I would have loved to have tested my former 19 rounder for any jams.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks AZXD. I took the mag apart and it looked new inside, except for three very tiny metallic specs. I cleaned them off and put it back together. Fortunately, I live on the edge of BLM land, so can go out my back door and test it out. I'm going to take some new rounds with me as well as the reloads. I'll be back. :p

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
FWIW I have seen several brands of istols that do not like being one upped. I have seen every brand of pistol have some copies not like being shot with a full mag and one in the chamber. Some pistols of any design do not like feeding the top round when fired from a full magazine.

Try it with not shooting 19+1. Just insert a full mag and shoot it that way. 19 rounds is plenty anyway IMO.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, just got back from testing it out and am happy to say it did not jam at all. I guess those little tiny pieces in there made a difference. Since they are so easy to take apart, I will definitely keep them clean from now on.

Boris, I have never put 19+1 in the gun, or 13+1 for that matter. I have always loaded full mags, then loaded the chamber from there including other semi's I have owned. Although I think I have done it once or twice with my little P22.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Well, just got back from testing it out and am happy to say it did not jam at all. I guess those little tiny pieces in there made a difference. Since they are so easy to take apart, I will definitely keep them clean from now on.

Boris, I have never put 19+1 in the gun, or 13+1 for that matter. I have always loaded full mags, then loaded the chamber from there including other semi's I have owned. Although I think I have done it once or twice with my little P22.
Glad to hear it ... And you don't need to clean them very often, unless you get dirt/sand in them.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Glad to hear it ... And you don't need to clean them very often, unless you get dirt/sand in them.
x2 on that! Only real fail on mine was when I dropped a full mag into dry powder sand.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What does it matter what color it is or how long the barrel is? Everyone always insists on listing every single irrelevant detail and I'll never understand why.
Could it be that I just got the thing and am proud of it? If you don't like what someone posts, just ignore it. Pretty simple really. :razz:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Call a "magazine" a "clip" and you'll get a ton of replies because people get tired of reading the same things over and over.

I get tired of reading an extra paragraph of details that make no difference to the original question. It gets annoying and I will say so.

If you can't handle someone having an issue with what you're saying then get thicker skin or stay off the internet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.