Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone, i got a remington .243 win. bdl that i am considering rebuilding into a predator rifle, when i say rebuilding i mean new stock[hsp or mcmillan] new ss match grade barrel, and a different trigger. and my dilemma is the barrel life of the .243. its only good for about 1500 rds. should i consider a similair caliber that has better barrel life? i like the .223 rem. cartridge but id rather have something that can reach outthere a little bit further which the .243 is capable of.what advice can you give

·
Registered
19,987 Posts
barrel life is a factor of steel quality and muzzle velocity. you want a high velocity to minimize drop.

switching to .223 would require much more than a new barrel. you'd need a new bolt and some mag parts too, I'm pretty sure.

I believe you should stick with bullets that based on the same parent case...243, 308 and 7mm-08 (I think) are options for you. I'm pretty sure there are others, but I don't know what they are. for your purposes, I think you should stick with 243.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Stick with the .243 and have no worries. If you do ultimately "burn out" the barrel, you'll need to scope the bore. Much of the time it's the first couple of inches of the throat. You can cut it awaty re-throat it and continue to shoot.

Or build another rifle off of that action.

The only barrels I've ever shot out were 22-250.. Get some helacious velocities with that pepper sprout.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use the .243 as my deer rifle and only fire it 2-4 times a year. At that rate I will never shoot out the barrel. I have a .223 for varmints. Much cheaper to shot and alot more options

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use the .243 as my deer rifle and only fire it 2-4 times a year. At that rate I will never shoot out the barrel. I have a .223 for varmints. Much cheaper to shot and alot more options
ya same here.the .243 is my deer rifle for the time being but im wanting to build a .308 for a deer rifle and use the .243 for predator hunting and a backup deer rifle if i ever need it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
go To 260 Rem (6.5X08 better down range ballistics long bore life change only the barrel Lots of good bullets

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.