Springfield XD Forum banner

24" Stainless Bull Barrel upper

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Lex 
#1 ·
I'm looking around at all of the above mentioned uppers and was wondering if I should steer clear of any certain ones? This M&A seems to be the biggest/thickest one I've found. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? Should I just find a good deal on any one and get it? Thanks.

Also, how does a bipod mount to a ff tube like this, without rails? Do you drill holes and bolt it on?

#2 ·
The bipod could attach with the use of the front sling swivel mount. Typically the provisions are already on the tube, but depending on the tube, you may need to work it over and add the sling swivel mounting point. I do not see it in the photo but it may be there..... may call and ask them? Sorry.

#4 ·
The bipod could attach with the use of the front sling swivel mount. Typically the provisions are already on the tube, but depending on the tube, you may need to work it over and add the sling swivel mounting point. I do not see it in the photo but it may be there..... may call and ask them? Sorry.
Thanks, I'll find one with the sling mount.

#5 ·
Most of the manufacturers install a swivel stud on the handguard (RRA, Stag, etc.) or will give you the option at check out to add one for a nominal cost ($10).

You might also want to check out Model 1 Sales. I bought an upper from them at the Fall '07 Knob Creek shoot and it has been a true performer. 24" E.R. Shaw heavy bull barrel (stainless of course), fluted and turned down at the muzzle and threaded 1/2x24, 2-pc aluminum free-float handguard with a swivel stud, complete BCG and ambi-charging handle for $500. With reloads and match ammo, it will shoot close to 1/2MOA (0.58" groups at 100).

Their website is: Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

Here is a pic of the rifle with the upper just about as I received it (added the bipod, rings, scope, Ops Inc. brake):

#6 ·
Most of the manufacturers install a swivel stud on the handguard (RRA, Stag, etc.) or will give you the option at check out to add one for a nominal cost ($10).

You might also want to check out Model 1 Sales. I bought an upper from them at the Fall '07 Knob Creek shoot and it has been a true performer. 24" E.R. Shaw heavy bull barrel (stainless of course), fluted and turned down at the muzzle and threaded 1/2x24, 2-pc aluminum free-float handguard with a swivel stud, complete BCG and ambi-charging handle for $500. With reloads and match ammo, it will shoot close to 1/2MOA (0.58" groups at 100).

Their website is: Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

Here is a pic of the rifle with the upper just about as I received it (added the bipod, rings, scope, Ops Inc. brake):

It sounds good. too bad the pic didn't show up. I'd like to see the brake on that barrel. I don't believe that I have seen one on a bull barrel. I haven't checked out Model 1 Sales much only because they don't mention what brands of parts you're getting. I know it says E.R. Shaw barrel, but what about the rest. Also, it seems that there are mixed opinions about them. Some like and some don't.

#7 ·
Redid the link for the pic...don't know what happened to the first one.

I don't know about mixed reviews. I bought that upper and a buddy of mine bought an identical upper with only a 20" threaded bull bbl. His shoots almost as well as mine, but gives up a little in terms of accuracy at longer distances. Another of our friends that was with us bought a 20" A2/DCM upper and it has performed flawlessly as well and he likely has twice as many rounds through his than I do mine. Oh well...like you said...some like 'em...some don't.

#8 ·
I have a 16" model1sales bull barrel rifle. I bought the kit from them. The upper is an Advanced Ordnance. They said they also use LAR Grizzly uppers. Everything is great with the stuff I received except their small stuff (including the entire lower parts kit). The finish on the stuff is grey with a green tint. Not black like other brands. I also noticed a lot of stuff in the parts where the parting lines were showing badly and uneven. I bought a DPMS LPK and used that instead. I ordered the Yongue NM bolt so I don't know how their standard bcg's are.

I gave them another shot when I needed a bolt catch with 2 pads. It showed up and the finish sucks just like the LPK I had gotten last year. Grey/Green instead of black.

Knowing what I know now I would order a complete upper from them and would order other parts like grips but would not touch any small parts that are not spcified to be a certain name brand.

#9 ·
I think I'll look around at the show this weekend and call M1S and talk to them on monday. I'm not in a hurry, but I sure am anxious! The upper is all that I lack. I might also be up in the air as far as the caliber. Thanks for the help. Nice rifles!

#10 ·
I'm contemplating selling my DPMS (built by Del Ton) 24" Stainless Bull Barreled Upper, harris bipod, etc.
It's a great shooter, I just don't head up to the 100/200 yd range where I shoot. I like my carbines best!

My cheap 55gr reloads at 100 yds

Business End..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.