Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to use +P ammo in my XD45c?
I've been shooting 230gr ACP and I just noticed that Federal has HST in 230gr +P.

I was also wondering if anyone had compared the 200gr or 185gr +P vs the 230gr ACP.

Thanks guys,

Leprechaun

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's fine, but unnecessary. I use the 230gr standard pressure HST.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
3" barrel for .45 ACP = a lot of unburned powder flying out the muzzle.
It's correct to say +P is a total waste of time in a 3" barrel.

·
Registered
787 Posts
3" barrel for .45 ACP = a lot of unburned powder flying out the muzzle.
It's correct to say +P is a total waste of time in a 3" barrel.
Did you mean 4"? SA doesn't make a 3" 45ACP.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Although I normally use 230gr SXT, I recently purchased a 50 round box of 230gr HST +P for $22.00 at a gunshow. Will I ever use it? Probably not, but considering that the SXT cost me $27 for 20 rounds, I couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just Bought a box of the Fed .45 +p 230g HST. I'm looking forward to see how well they perform in my Tac 5 " The standard pressure works great.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i like the +p an extra 100 fps cant hurt. just be sure to test it.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
You will notice the added recoil with the +p rounds, Have shot them out of my PT145 and G36. I have gone back to the Ranger Ts 230 for my carry guns. Alot of the added powder is burned outside of the barrel. To each there own but I can't see the advantage of +p out of less than 5 inch barrel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Double Tap 230 grain gives 520 pounds at the muzzle in a 5" barrel. Just today I tried some in my XD-45c 4" and seemed to not give any added muzzle flip over regular ball. Standard SAAMI pressure, low muzzle flash, NOT +P...this just got adopted as my carry ammo in 45.
Also just adopted their 380 as the carry load for my 380.
Read more about this from me and others under heading of 45 Super in an XD. Also look up the Double Tap web site. :D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I like it. The recoil is a bit more, but not enough to turn me off to it. I currently carry 200gr. +p Gold Dots. Have also carried 230gr. +p TAP. I like the extra velocity, but to each their own.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've used the regular HST before without any problems. I was just wondering if there was a big difference/advantage to using the +P variety.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have no idea where I got the 3" number but I'm old and senile.
Wishful thinking perhaps?

I had some 185gr +P I got from Georgia Arms. They functioned fine, but my second shot was way off. The recoil was a lot more than the 230gr standard pressure I use now. I just felt my second shot was worth the 50-100fps I would theoretically lose.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've gone back to the 230 grain Ranger for carry. Carried the +p for a while but didn't quite see the benefit... Foot lbs of energy is basically voodoo. Expansion and penetration is what its about out of handguns and 230 rangers do just fine.

I did fire them out of an Uzi and they did seem to hit steal with a little more authority. May need to chrono it and see

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think the number one concern is reliability. Which, if either +P or standard, runs better in your pistol?

Number two would be penetration. Certainly MOST 45ACP penetrates well. I'm not a fan of pre-fragmented stuff, no matter the energy dump.

Third would be expansion. The "better" hollowpoints from recent years all hit about the same. I've seen up to .74 inches in print.

Third would be energy dump.

If you can get 1,2,and 3 from a load that also gives you 4, why would you not do so? I would not give up much on 2 and 3 for energy, and never would give up #1!!!

I recently tested out DT 185gr GDHP +P in my 4 inch, and liked it. No failures, and a GDHP penetrates and expands well. Why choose NOT to have the extra foot pounds that DT offers above the normal Speer loads?

In truth, I'll say that I did not have a chrony available to confirm the fps and subsequent energy levels, but I do THINK they are there...

Mag 1 is DT 185gr GDHP 10+1 rounds.
Mag 2 is the same at 13 rounds.
Mag 3 is 230gr FMJ at 13 rounds. If I get to mag number 3, odds are I'm having to shoot through something, by this point, to stop BG from shooting me or mine. Sounds like a job for FMJ for me...

As others have said, this is just my way, and my opinion...:cool:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use Hornady Custom 230gr +P JHP/XTP in my service model with no issues whatsoever. In fact the higher recoil is more noticeable in my 1911 than the XD. Keep in mind, I do not shoot this ammo all the time. This stuff is for SD. It is recommended that +P stuff be shot on a limited basis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts