Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Might also look into 200gr. Gold Dot +p. They're my current carry load. Shot a couple mags of them to try them out and loved 'em. Super accurate, 100% reliable, not too much snap.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I like gold dot and Hornady TAP.

·
Registered
764 Posts
GoldDots- always.
I've shot about 100 230 grain with no problems. The 200grain +P work fine, but I've only use them 3" barrel 1911.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Try the Federal HST's. There isn't a better performing round out there. The Hydar-Shocks are an older design. While they perform well, check out some LE test of the HST's. Very impressive.

LE - Wound Ballistics

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
For personal defense, I carry 230g Gold Dots. I also like the Federal HST's. All of the data and photos I have seen of the HST's show that they expand nicely. Hydra-Shok is an older design, the newer designs expand more consistently and are better performing.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I don't have the money to buy enough of the new-hotness to verify 100% functioning in my guns.

I don't carry a gun until I have 500 flawless rounds through it and I don't carry ammo I haven't shot at least 50 flawless rounds of the exact ammo I'm going to carry (or use as the home defense gun).

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Hydrashock has become obsolete. The newer HST bullets are much better performing and stand up to the rest of the bunch as solid performers (i.e. Speer Gold Dots & Remington bonded Golden Sabers).

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I don't have the money to buy enough of the new-hotness to verify 100% functioning in my guns.

I don't carry a gun until I have 500 flawless rounds through it and I don't carry ammo I haven't shot at least 50 flawless rounds of the exact ammo I'm going to carry (or use as the home defense gun).
Go in with a friend or a few friends and split a case. That's what I did and ended up with new Federal HST JHPs for a tiny bit more than what I was paying for old Hi-shocks, around $18-20 a box of 50.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Federal HST is one of the best performing JHP rounds available right now AND they are cheap enough to shoot a bunch to make sure your gun likes them. Normally found for around 23 bucks for 50 in .45 around the New Orleans area.

The .40 can be had for around 21 for 50 and the 9mm can be had for around 19 a box.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
Hydrashock has become obsolete.
I always laugh when I hear that.

It worked just great for, what, over 10 years...but now, it isn't as cool as the new stuff, therefore it's no good.

Are there rounds that may be better? Perhaps--but HS also has a proven track record of getting the job done.

Obsolete it ain't.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
How did those run in your XD-45?
Sorry, I should've specified. I got 5 boxes of Federal 147 gr. +P JHP in 9mm. They ran flawless in my XD.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts