Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new xd45 service model and was told by the guys at the gun store to go with 185+p. I've always used 230+p in old Ruger p345, but they insisted the lower grain ammo was good enough and less destructive to the gun. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
More "couch warrior" / "counter jockey" "expertise" that is anything but!!

Yes, any +P ammo will be somewhat harder on your pistol than standard ammo, but the XD was built to take the pressures and the recoil of any weight of commercially available +P .45acp ammo.

I personally shoot 230gr +P loads in mine and have also shot more than several hundred rounds of it through my pistol over the few years and it has never missed a beat or otherwise shown any signs of wear/fatigue/damage/etc.

If you like the 230gr +P loads and they are what you are used to carrying and trusting your life to...stick to them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just purchased a new xd45 service model and was told by the guys at the gun store to go with 185+p. I've always used 230+p in old Ruger p345, but they insisted the lower grain ammo was good enough and less destructive to the gun. Any thoughts???

You should be able to shoot any commericial +P ammo through your XD with no problem. I personally prefer and use Speer 200gr +P Gold Dot HP as my defense ammo of choice.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Any +p load is going to accelerate wear on your pistol, how much, I'm not willing to find out. IMO, +p ammo isn't needed in the 45acp, especially in a full size pistol. All you are really getting is more recoil for your 75fps increase in vel. Slower follow up shots isn't worth that to me & your pistol will run forever on std. pressure loads. Just pick a good 230gr JHP & run with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shoot both and see which one the gun likes friend of mines GP100 shoots .38+Ps because they group the best in his gun. SA warranty good right?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've got some Buffalo Bore 185 +P JHP stuff. I sure would not want to get shot with it. Stuff is gnarley. Never shot anything "soft" with it though.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I actually purchased the 185+p, it's just as tame as regualr 230 std. However, I'm looking this week for standard 165 or 180, somewhere around there.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got some Buffalo Bore 185 +P JHP stuff. I sure would not want to get shot with it. Stuff is gnarley. Never shot anything "soft" with it though.

:rolleyes:
I'v got some Buffalo Bore 230gr +P rounds which seem to be loaded with Gold Dots.

It make a lot of noise, but the recoil wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had 50 185gr +p Hollowpoints and kept 25 for the bedstand magazines. The other 25 got shot. There was significantly more recoil than with the regular 230gr Winchesters I use.

But I wouldnt mind keeping some around for carry magazines or stuff. Really though, any bullet will hurt like hell...so I dont think it matters too much. But the gun did handle it just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the 185gr is going to be a little flatter shooting at longer ranges. try to do some watermelon tests and see what you like. i carry a 40s&w with 155 grain speer gold dots and i like them better than the 180 grainers due to some melon testing i did :mrgreen:

·
Registered
706 Posts
My choice is the Double Tap 185+P. It is loaded with GDHPs, and feeds well in my XD.

If thet were not available, I'd likely look at the similar BB load of the Short Barrel Gold Dots from Speer.

I agree that +P isn't really necessary for the 45ACP to do the job it was designed for, but I want to hit BG as hard as I can with the pistol I'm willing to carry all the time. Recoil-Schmeecoil. The first shot is the one that counts most.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Agree with all above...I use 185 on the range...and carry 230+p.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
IMHO the first question concerning choice in ammunition is what's the purpose? If you're looking for accuracy with competition shoots or just plain bragging rights, then yeah, 185gr is fine. If you're looking for the best stopping power against a hostile target, the mass and design of the bullet is one of the most important factors. The 230gr JHP should be your first choice for a full-size .45. My personal recommendation is the DoubleTap 230gr JHP. It's loaded to standard pressure specs, but has better ballistic stats than many +p rounds. God forbid you are ever in a situation where you have to defend yourself in a court of law for using lethal force against an attacker, but remember that the whole purpose is to stop the threat, and the most effective way of doing that is to use the heaviest, most damaging load.

I certainly recognize the lethality of the smaller 200gr and 185gr rounds, but when you take into account that most defensive shootings occur within 7 yards of the target, velocity isn't as important as shot placement and bullet mass. Stick with 230gr rounds.

And, as a point of information, the DoubleTap 230gr terminal ballistics can be found here: https://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9140

·
Registered
590 Posts
luthernanpriest speakith the truth I suspect. I will go that route.

Bless you on this post holiday day, on the real.

Foon

·
Registered
706 Posts
Quoted from the above referenced link:

DoubleTap .45ACP Velocity penetration / expansion
185gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1225fps - 12.75" / .82"
200gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1125fps - 14.25" / .88"
230gr Gold Dot JHP @ 1010fps - 15.25" / .95"

I might just have to try the 230gr in my next order. Almost an inch in diameter, at 15+ inches deep. That's a thumper.

The thread says these figures are from the owner of DT. 10% geletain, 2 T-shirts, 4 layers denim, Yadda-Yadda.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I agree that +P is not required in the 45. Speer GDs, Winchester Ranger T or the Federal HST in the 230gr are all good options.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not to threadjack here but my piece is kind of a dual purpose. When I initially bought it, it was because I enjoyed shooting the .45acp and found I liked the XD the most. So for a long time, my focus wasn't on stopping power or killing my target, it was being more accurate than my friends. Soon after I bought the pistol, a few events took place in my life that illustrated the need to keep defensive ammunition with my XD.

My question is, would it be better for me to buy one type of ammo for both tasks or should I stick to what I've been doing? I've been buying 230gr FMJ ball ammo for the range and using Cor-Bon PowRBall 185+p JHP for home defense (It was recomended to me by a couple of the Store employees where I bought my XD). Weird bullet. Has a polymer ball in the tip of it. not sure what that's for.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts