Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all from Balitmore! Just purchased a XD-45 service a couple weeks ago and wanted peoples opinions on the gold dots vs. the HST's. Does anyone use the +P or is it just overkill? I also was interested in the 230 grain gold dots that double tap produce because of the good velocity at 230 grain. I'm new to the .45 having owned a .38 snubbie and .357 in the past. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as dropping an intruder, they are both going to do the job, and do it well. If it's not a huge financial burden for you, buy a box each of a few different brands and try them out at the range.

I found that my XD fed all of the premium rounds with no problem. I preferred the low recoil Hydra Shok ammo myself. Easier to shoot with one hand and odd positions than the +P, so it seemed like it would work better for me. Your experience may be different, so try them out and see what you like...

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
both are fine choices, like Scott said if you can afford it buy a box of each, see which one you are more accurate with.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I like CoBon ammo and most of their stuff is rated +P. As long as you know what's behind your target and as long as you hit what you shoot, it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy the gun and shoot often :)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I carry the HST standard load pressure. I have had the +P but it seemed unnecessary. The snap back of recoil was pretty harsh and might cause you extra time to reaquire sight picture.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I carry the HST standard load pressure. I have had the +P but it seemed unnecessary. The snap back of recoil was pretty harsh and might cause you extra time to reaquire sight picture.
I carry the standard pressure 230 HST in my 45 service. I do not think +P is needed. You can not go wrong with either.
Same here. +P is not needed in a .45.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but it always bears repeating that in any court, the name of the ammo you carry will probably be admitted into evidence. Winchester learned that the hard way with "Black Talon." Sounds scary, don't it?

All the ammo mentioned above is excellent, and will do its job well if you do your job well. As most "high tech" projectiles have fancy names (XTP, SXT, Golden Sabre, Hydra Shok, HST, Federal Tactical -- all of which connote terminal damage) I prefer the ubiquitous GoldDot. It has a very good track record, performs well in ballistic gelatine, and is carried by thousands of LEOs in hundreds of PDs. Good enough for thee, good enough for me.

An asshole lawyer has less chance to tar and feather you for carrying "Black Talon" than something that just sounds, well, warmer and fuzzier.

The decision is ultimately yours, and reliability is obviously your first priority. If you have limited availability in your area, check to see what your state patrol carries or, if they have an open policy, see what your major metro PDs carry. NYPD carries, IIRC, standard pressure Gold Dot.

None of these is a right answer, nor is any a wrong answer. Be good. Practice. Stay safe. You're G2G.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i say gold dots. VERY reliable round. and at least in my area all the cops ive assked say gold dots. i have yet to hear anything else. i bet they are one of the most common used by police. I would be willing to bet if you asked every police department in the U.S. the vast majority would say gold dots

i carry buffalo bore ammo in my 40 thats loaded with them and from a 4" barrel they a rated at 1100 FPS with a 180 grain bullet.
double tap is almost the exact same as buffalo bore ammo.

double tap offers a 230 grain gold dot at 1014 fps thats 521 Ft/Lbs of energy

·
Registered
148 Posts
I prefer the HST. From what I've been able to figure out they are one of the best performing rounds out there. Where I work they issue standard pressure 230 grain HSTs after doing their own testing. Plus 23.99 for 50 rounds it has a great price advantage.
I just use the standard pressure as there isn't much gain in performance in using +P in a 45. Just increased noise and parts wear. My XD 45 Compact hasn't had any problems feeding the HST in either my 10 round mag or 13 round mags. This is using factory springs.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I found that my XD fed all of the premium rounds with no problem. I preferred the low recoil Hydra Shok ammo myself.
This is what i have in my 1911, I like them alot. Very managable for me but mostly for my fiance.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
200g+p gold dot alot faster more energy and the rcoil is very managable
+1. Carrying those now and love 'em. As for the +p recoil, I was shooting last weekend and used one Gold Dot +p to fill out a mag of American Eagle 230 FMJ's. Did not notice a significant difference in recoil. I've heard HST's like to jam up a bit and have problems feeding in XD's, though I haven't tried them myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts