Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here's what I've been thinking of, I own a xd.45 service and I am a broke college student, therefore the amount of shooting I would like to do is impossible. I've been thinking about trying to invest in a .22 pistol to do more training. Is there anything close to the xd in a .22 caliber? I've been thinking of a mark lll but they have very little in common with a xd... So now I turn to you, Does anyone have any ideas to help with this situation? I would want it to be accurate and dependable. thanks

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Get a MK III 22/45

Grip angle will be very close to the same. Controls close.

It's about the best you can do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Get a MK III 22/45

Grip angle will be very close to the same. Controls close.

It's about the best you can do.
If you go this route, make sure to hold the 22/45 first. I held one the other day for the first time and it completely changed my opinion. I thought it was horribly uncomfortable and nothing like an XD grip. It was a relatively narrow grip, but the grip was long in the trigger to back length so it felt very odd.

Joe

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ever thought about reloading??? You would spend much less on the equipment than on a new 22 and shoot a ton more!!! Just a suggestion good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Ever thought about reloading??? You would spend much less on the equipment than on a new 22 and shoot a ton more!!! Just a suggestion good luck!!!
Those numbers never quite work out.

You will spend around $200-$300 to get decent basic reloading equipment.

Lead bullets for the .45 run around $0.06 each. And .22 lr rounds are cheaper than that.

Plus there is the time factor. Time spent reloading for the .45 is time that could be spent shooting the .22

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
If you go this route, make sure to hold the 22/45 first. I held one the other day for the first time and it completely changed my opinion. I thought it was horribly uncomfortable and nothing like an XD grip. It was a relatively narrow grip, but the grip was long in the trigger to back length so it felt very odd.

Joe
I vote for the 22/45, but if you want it to feel like an XD, you must do the 1911 grip panel mod.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Basically you just sand down the small bulge on the side of the 22/45 grips so that they are flat and flush across the frame. You then line up and mark your 1911 grips. Drill the frame to accept the 1911 grip bushings and then screw on the 1911 grips. I know, drilling the frame sounds scary, but if you are sure you have the grips in the right place it is very easy. Doesn't take long at all!

As you can see, the grips are now very similar...

Here is some more info... AR15.COM

If you select the correct drill bit size, you don't have to glue the bushings in at all. They will screw in and hold very secure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts