Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine today, he's thinking about doing a Krinker Plinker conversion. He started to tell me all the pros...cheaper ammo,cheaper rifle(not by much I reminded him) then he said something that made me really think...that the .22LR will shoot faster than the AR(both being semi-auto) because the .22 bolt is shorter which allows it to cycle faster...:confused:... I called BS..(My Bushy took insult to that comment:mrgreen:)What do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I guess in that respect it's possible.. maybe... but I'd like to see where it would matter- meaning, I'd like to see someone outshoot an AR

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
In practice a 22lr could likely have a faster cyclic rate due to the short stroke of the action but in practice with a semi auto weapon the cyclic rate of the weapon will not be the limiting factor. You limiting factor will be your trigger fingers ability to twitch not the the guns cyclic rate. Remember one 5.56x45mm bullet has roughly 10 times the muzzle energy of a 22lr.

mcb

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I would guess that the bolt speed of an AR is faster than that of a 10/22 due to the higher velocity of the .223 compared to the .22lr.

If that is the case, then the higher bolt speed would mean that the time between the guns firing and locking back into battery would be close to the same.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
More importantly is how fast you can make aimed fire, I think the 22 would win that one. I also think many people ( myself included ) can out trigger even a fast cycling semi, pistols especially.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
More importantly is how fast you can make aimed fire, I think the 22 would win that one. I also think many people ( myself included ) can out trigger even a fast cycling semi, pistols especially.
A 1911's cyclic rate is about .05 seconds, that is 20 shots per second. If you can out shoot the cycling of a modern semi auto pistol, you might want to give Guinness Book a call and collect your fame. :) I've seen 10 rounds a second out of a semi auto (a prototype gas powered semi auto that cycled in .03 seconds), but more than 20 would be sight to be seen for sure.

Seriously though, cyclic rate is really only a serious consideration in full auto, which generally range from 600-1200 rounds per minute, as the best shooters are hard pressed to shoot faster than 3 times slower than the weapon cycles. It is really a moot point.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I can do about 370rpm with my FAL, 120 in 60sec with 3 mag changes with my AR, next time I have some 9mm I'll do some timing with my XD and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I can easily do 120 round in 30 seconds out of my XD 9mm with mag changes with 20 round mags, but to out run the gun with my trigger finger I would have to do it in less than 10 seconds.

I've seen a couple full auto XD's and no one on earth is that fast on the trigger, as it takes less than a second to dump a full 16 round mag on full auto.

If you can dump it in anything under 2 seconds, you are lightning, but not even close to outrunning your gun.

The only gun I've outrun or seen out run are semi auto shotguns and they cycle 3 times slower than pistols and AR's.

Let us know your test though, because you might have something else going on if you are stopping your autos.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
The shorter wider rounds should cycle faster, I don't think the 22 is really that wider in respect to length than the 556.

That being said, the 9mm UZI, the 380 submachine guns and G18s are all over 1200 rnds per minute and I think that nothing else breaches 1000 thats not well a machine gun. The 249 SAW goes at 1100 rnds per minute. those are the fastest things I know of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts