Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering a 22 rifle.
I am going to the LGS to look at ammo. They most times have 22LR in the Aguilla (sp?) brand or CCI. However, at times there is 22Long, 22Short, 22Magnum, etc....
Brand is not an issue AFAIK. My ignorance is!!!
That said, I can open a box & compare case & round size by eye, but that may not be good enough.
Is there a site where I can get info on different 22 compatability, or is it specific to the gun?
IE -
22Long compatable with 22LR
22Short & 22Long etc...?
I will also ask the LGS, but I trust you here just the same seeing the 22 crowd is very wise!!
Thank You For Any Education...

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
If it's a semi-auto rifle, it'll run .22LR only--unless you want it to be a single shot.

Lever actions and bolt action rifles can usually use short, long or long rifle.

. 22 magnum (aka .22 WMR) can only be used in rifles chambered for it, which cannot use any other .22.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
If it's a semi-auto rifle, it'll run .22LR only--unless you want it to be a single shot.

Lever actions and bolt action rifles can usually use short, long or long rifle.

. 22 magnum (aka .22 WMR) can ony be used in rifles chambered for it, which cannot use any other .22.
Cuda knows more than I, but I second this. I have fired hundreds of rounds of .22 short as a kid through a bolt .22 at birds.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
If semi auto look at a Ruger 10-22. If bolt look at the Savage or Marlin line. If your looking for a pump or lever, Henry is the way to go imho. If you go pump or lever you can shoot short, long, and long rifle all day long.. some bolt guns will as well.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
My first semi auto 22 was a Winchester 190 or it's clone the Sears 3T, looking at photos now pretty sure it was the clone (been over 20 years). It was S/L/LR but I only ever fed it LR so I can't say if it fed the others. And now the reminiscing has got me wanting to buy one!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have been looking at Marlin, Savage, & Henry.
We will look into Ruger & Winchester also.
Seems pump // lever action would be beneficial since it
can use whatever may be available, as far as LR, Long, & short.
I Thank You All for being patient & educative!!

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
If you are looking at a pump, look at an old Remington Speedmaster. They haven't been made for a while, but they just ooze quality.

Most bolt actions can also use all three cartridges; usually detachable magazine (often incorrectly called a "clip") fed models will reliably feed shorts-LR's.

That being said, the Browning .22 lever (I think it was called the "Lightning") is just a slick shooter, and can hold 20+ rounds of shorts...

·
Registered
83 Posts
More information on the differences in .22...

"Short" and "long" refer to the length of the case. A short's case is about half as long as a long's case. (There's an even shorter case used in BB and CB caps, which are 6mm or .22 caliber too, but they use a round ball bullet and are very uncommon.)

So with the short and long sorted, what about the "rifle" designation? That refers to the size of the exposed bullet. the "rifle" bullet is longer than the regular bullet, so the short and long variety use the short bullet and the rifle variety uses the longer bullet.

So:
  • .22 Short has the short case and the shorter bullet.
  • .22 Long has the long case and the shorter bullet.
  • .22 Long Rifle (also .22LR) has the long case and the longer bullet.
There is one exceptio to all of this (that I know of.) Aguila sells the "SSS Sniper SubSonic" cartridge which uses a short case and an EXTREMELY long bullet -- much longer than a Long Rifle bullet. This gives you a VERY heavy bullet (for .22,) and a very small amount of powder. The overall length of the cartridge is the same as a .22LR and it will fire in any gun that can handle .22LR. But the low power and the short case means it's very unlikely to cycle properly in any semi-auto weapon (or full-auto, I suppose.)

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
On the Aguila SSS...it will cycle some semi-autos; I ran 4 rounds of the SSS through a Beretta 71 yesterday, and it cycled 100%.

However--that long, heavy, 60gr bullet is designed to be run with fast twist rifling; 1:9, if memory serves. The 1:14 rifling used in most .22 rimfires is too slow to stabilize the bullet, and it will have serious keyholing issues; in my Beretta yesterday, at seven yards you could see the bullet was beginning to yaw by some slight oblong holes in the target.

So, while they are kind of cool...I'd stay away from them.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Aguila they have now is 22LR, 30 and 40grn , they are copper coated? Looked thin anyway.
Had 2 pumps - one was Remington, an old one, very nice looking, asking $900!! :-(
A new one ( forget brand? ) $600
No bolt or lever, 2 AR style with poly receivers, $700 area.

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
It's usually just a copper wash on .22's; they are rarely truly jacketed.

And...you can find those Remington's cheaper...that one is likely a like new model, with original box, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
Man, you have me remembering a sweet 22 short pump my dad had when I was young.
I believe it was a Winchester Model 1890. It had an octagon barrel.
One hell of a squirrel gun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On the Aguila SSS...it will cycle some semi-autos; I ran 4 rounds of the SSS through a Beretta 71 yesterday, and it cycled 100%.
:)

My Ruger MkII shot as many as 6 before "stovepipeing". I used quotes because the case was too short to stovepipe so it just got jammed in whatever orientation it could to piss me off.

So, while they are kind of cool...I'd stay away from them.
I only bought one box to play with. I shot two mags (20 rounds) and ended up giving the rest to a buddy that day. They worked fine in his pump-action rifle.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My first semi auto 22 was a Winchester 190 or it's clone the Sears 3T, looking at photos now pretty sure it was the clone (been over 20 years). It was S/L/LR but I only ever fed it LR so I can't say if it fed the others. And now the reminiscing has got me wanting to buy one!
Something like this?

Pops gave me this 190 almost 20 years ago. To this day it's still a bunny slayer. I've ran countless shorts through it without a single misfeed. Our small town Cenex used to sell a 50 count box remington 22 shorts for .55 cents. I'd beg for odd jobs around the house to earn money to buy those things.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts