Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have much experience with them? Looking to maybe do an 18" Wylde upper for my next AR (pre-built). Looks like PSA has some, but they are all sold out (or more $ than I want to spend).

Since I already have a 16" rifle (not 14.5 pinned/weld), I was thinking about doing something longer for the next one.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I have a Krieger Barrel 18" DCM Profile, Knights Armament over-run, rifle length gas system. lightly gassed when unsuppressed (i wont say under gassed because it does cycle 100% of the time).

check the latest posts in the MOA All Day competition thread (linked in my sig) for my latest results.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The .223 Wylde chamber basically is a tighter 5.56 chamber, so accurate like .223, but can still run 5.56.

I have an AR15performance 16" .223 Wylde barrel that is melonited, and it is incredibly agitate, much more than I am. I need to get to the range to do the MOA challenge with it.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
You can load longer bullets like the 75/77, 80, and even 90gr VLDs in a 223Wylde. According to Berger's calculator, you'd have to hit 3300fps with the 90gr VLD to be stable in a 1:7 twist barrel (SG=1.50). That'd be a very high pressure round in a very long barrel... Even in a 24" 223 barrel, I can only hit about 3400fps with a 52/53gr match bullet.

·
Premium Member
127,992 Posts
I think that caliber will be my next build.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I think if I was going to use the 90gr VLD I'd use something like the 223 WSSM or 220 Swift. I'm not sure even the 22-250 has enough oompf to push it and stabilize it. Maybe a fast twist 22-250

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
it would have to be a fast twist .22-250, those 90's need some serious spin. They wont stabalize well in a 18" 1:7 .223 Rem. If you had a longer barrel that you could impart more spin via gain in velocity maybe, but you're loading pretty hot already.

1-7 3200 fps at 1300' ASL on a 72* day is what it would take to get over 1.5 SG.

you don't EVEN want to know what it would take in the dead of winter...

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I have always been a little confused on what exactly changes in the 223 Wylde chamber compared to that of a normal 5.56 chamber in an AR.

Wikipedia didn't help much......223 Wylde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
.223 wylde is a "tier" above .556.

.223 wylde can shoot .223's and .556's but the wylde can also shoot damn near subsonics .

it's basically a .556 with more accurate tolerances and can handle very light super fast rounds.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts

.223 wylde can shoot .223's and .556's but the wylde can also shoot damn near subsonics .

it's basically a .556 with more accurate tolerances and can handle very light super fast rounds.
just some things to consider:

Any barrel can shoot a projectile at subsonic speeds and there are recipes around for subsonic .223 Rem.

Accurate tolerances can be built into the spec, but that's more a QC thing than a chambering thing.

I would have reservations about shooting short, lightweight bullets in a long throated barrel. There would likely be some hangtime before it hits the lands which might cause the bullet to go in kiddy-whampus. I would reserve the short light zippers for a .223 Rem chamber that has very short leades. in long throated chambers, you have to consider that case mouth might actually act like a barrel within a barrel.

that's an argument to tiering of chambers. in this case, a short bullet in a long throat (like a .223 Match chamber) is NOT going to perform very well at all. but with a heavy bullet (ie longer) the bullet stays in the case longer as it leaps and if you have a concentric mouth when it meets the lands of the rifling it's still very centered. it isn't until the bullet is fully engaged in the rifling when the brass is finally free of the projectile and can no longer influence the lateral path of the bullet. with short ammo, it could literally throw it sideways before it hits the lands.

I have a photo of a bullet that went into a chamber crooked, and it was because my brass was not concentric at the case mouth.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

So a 5.56 chambered AR won't shoot subsonic rounds?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Knight and I posted at the same time.....

So shooting a light 40 grain bullet out of a 5.56 chambered AR could just cause accuracy issues?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
there's a lot of if's, like construction and shape.
Gotcha. I have never tried shooting anything lighter than 55 grains through my AR. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure what mine barrel is chambered in. :confused: I was thinking that it was 5.56 but now I am wanting to say that it is 223 Rem.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Gotcha. I have never tried shooting anything lighter than 55 grains through my AR. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure what mine barrel is chambered in. :confused: I was thinking that it was 5.56 but now I am wanting to say that it is 223 Rem.
best to learn before hitting the ammo store or range... :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts