Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I must say I do like my varmint guns. A while back I won a Savage .17 HMR with the heavy barrell in a raffle, and fell in love with the little high velocity hell raiser.

I have been looking for another varmint gun to add to the collection, and been eyeballing a Browning .223 WSSM a-bolt with a 24 inch heavy chrome-lined barrell.

I was intrigued by this somewhat odd WSSM cartridge (Winchester Super Short Magnum), which throws a 55g bullet downrange at 3800 fps.

So, I took the plunge and bought the sucker along with a leupold 3-10x scope to put on it, and a bipod.

It took a couple of weeks to stop raining, got it to the range this morning. Used Winchester 55g Silver. Has a little kick to it. 1.0 inch pattern at 100 yds.

I think I'll keep it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Well, I must say I do like my varmint guns. A while back I won a Savage .17 HMR with the heavy barrell in a raffle, and fell in love with the little high velocity hell raiser.

I have been looking for another varmint gun to add to the collection, and been eyeballing a Browning .223 WSSM a-bolt with a 24 inch heavy chrome-lined barrell.

I was intrigued by this somewhat odd WSSM cartridge (Winchester Super Short Magnum), which throws a 55g bullet downrange at 3800 fps.

So, I took the plunge and bought the sucker along with a leupold 3-10x scope to put on it, and a bipod.

It took a couple of weeks to stop raining, got it to the range this morning. Used Winchester 55g Silver. Has a little kick to it. 1.0 inch pattern at 100 yds.

I think I'll keep it.
I have been thinking about one of these to add to my collection too. How is it for fouling the barrel...copper I mean, at the velocity that this short, fat magnum shoots I would think it would be hell to clean. After shooting 10 rounds and cleaning I would think it would be coppered like mad! :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been thinking about one of these to add to my collection too. How is it for fouling the barrel...copper I mean, at the velocity that this short, fat magnum shoots I would think it would be hell to clean. After shooting 10 rounds and cleaning I would think it would be coppered like mad! :shock:
Not too bad after the first time out. I put 20 rounds through it, and took my time to keep the barrel heat down. It cleaned out pretty easily. Will I have to put a brush or bore snake through it every ten rounds? The question is, what will if be like 5-10 yrs from now when I have 500 rds through it? What will the barrel wear be like?

It is very clear this (.223 WSSM) is not a "plinking" rifle. It really is a butt kicking high performance firearm, whatever that subjective definition of that may be. Break glass in case of varmint emergency.

I suspect I will upgrade to a higher mag Leupold scope and take it out to 200-300 yds at some point.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have the winchester model 70 .223 wssm.... in the camo ULITMATE SHADOW STAINLESS... its bad ass.... so i bought the same gun in 7MM WSM... LOL

VARMINT? LOL I TAKE THAT FOR BACK UP FOR MY DEER RIFLE.... AND ONE TIME MULE DEER.. lol

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the winchester model 70 .223 wssm.... in the camo ULITMATE SHADOW STAINLESS... its bad ass.... so i bought the same gun in 7MM WSM... LOL

VARMINT? LOL I TAKE THAT FOR BACK UP FOR MY DEER RIFLE.... AND ONE TIME MULE DEER.. lol
How many rounds do you have through the .223 WSSM.

How is the barrel holding up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts