Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this interesting comparison picture of a .223 next to a 7.62x39 round.

.223 - 55gr @ 3,241 fps
7.62x39 - 122gr @ 2,396 fps

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know the 7.62x39 is legal to hunt deer with, while the .223 isn't, if that means anything...
Depends on what state your in, where I'm at .223 is perfectly legal.

7.62x39 is actually quite a bit less powerful than a .30-30. But it does what it needs to out in the real world.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Yep,
Shows a good reason to have both....:mrgreen:

Woof
Bowser

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Bigger bullet = better!:wink:

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Depends on what state your in, where I'm at .223 is perfectly legal.

7.62x39 is actually quite a bit less powerful than a .30-30. But it does what it needs to out in the real world.

Only because the .30-30 shoots a heavier bullet. Same can be said for x39 vs 7.62NATO...7.62NATO is only 100fps faster than the x39 when fired from a 16" barrel. The 7.62NATO also fires a heavier bullet.

You will see no accuracy differences at 150 yards between either of them. And I must add that the M67 (Yugoslavian designed 7.62x39) is a big improvement over the M43 (original Russian design). For deer, either will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Only because the .30-30 shoots a heavier bullet. Same can be said for x39 vs 7.62NATO...7.62NATO is only 100fps faster than the x39 when fired from a 16" barrel. The 7.62NATO also fires a heavier bullet.

You will see no accuracy differences at 150 yards between either of them. And I must add that the M67 (Yugoslavian designed 7.62x39) is a big improvement over the M43 (original Russian design). For deer, either will do just fine.
Umm the 7.62 Nato has a significantly more fluid dynamic bullet. So only a little more than half the drag.

·
Registered
346 Posts
In most conditions I'll face (hunting in the woods, defense in the suburbs, etc) I find the x39 a more capable around. While it'd be easier to carry more .223 around, if I need that much ammo I'm facing a losing battle anyways.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The 7.62x39 is about 2.99 a box around here. Rifles that shoot it are also inexpensive.

The 5.56 is at least 6 bucks a box here (for the cheap stuff) and a decent AR starts at about 800.

I have four rifles that shoot the 7.62x39 and none that shoot the 223/5.56mm.

(I also have a 22-250 varmint rifle so I don't need a varmint round launcher)

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
In most conditions I'll face (hunting in the woods, defense in the suburbs, etc) I find the x39 a more capable around. While it'd be easier to carry more .223 around, if I need that much ammo I'm facing a losing battle anyways.
This is a great point. I prefer the 7.62x39 for a variety of abstract and as yet unproven reasons - mostly, though, it's just a great round for anything I might need it for. If I have to reach beyond 100 yds., there are other options available to me.

That said, I'd still love to own an AR in 5.56. Everyone ought to.

joe

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is a great point. I prefer the 7.62x39 for a variety of abstract and as yet unproven reasons - mostly, though, it's just a great round for anything I might need it for. If I have to reach beyond 100 yds., there are other options available to me.

That said, I'd still love to own an AR in 5.56. Everyone ought to.

joe
I do plan to own an AR...in fact, one of the debates I was having was should I get an AR in 5.56, or an x39 with an AK/clone or SKS...after I looked at what I wanted to use it for (ability to hunt larger game, like deer; magazine/ammunition capacity and reliability thereof "just in case"), then looked at minor deciding factors (weapon cost, ammo cost) there was no real debate to be had, and got a Saiga (AK variant). I like it so much I'm planning on getting a Saiga 12 gauge if/when the prices come down...but I'm still planning on getting an AR, just waiting for a moment when I can't resist the urge to purchase...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The round was a big determiner as to whether I was going to get an AK or an AR first. That being said, I'm looking into ARs because naturally everyone should own one of each. Personally, even though each in their respected weapons were meant to do the same thing, I do feel each round has its advantages and disadvantages given the situation.

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
I'll be one of those folks that takes the .223 over 7.62x39--basically, because of the launching platforms. I've yet to have firsthand experience with a semi-auto 7.62x39 rifle that can hold a candle, accuracy-wise, to any of my semi-auto .223's.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I'll be one of those folks that takes the .223 over 7.62x39--basically, because of the launching platforms. I've yet to have firsthand experience with a semi-auto 7.62x39 rifle that can hold a candle, accuracy-wise, to any of my semi-auto .223's.
Has more to do with the round than the weapon..I'll hold my own against you with one of me AKs vs your ARs at 100m. I'll even let you choose which one..Chinese, Bulgarian, Russian (type 1 kit), Rk 62, Yugo, Polish, Hungarian, Korean PLO...all are from kits....

Now if you want to go tit for tat, I'll throw my AK-74 in the mix since they are ballistically similar. The x39 and the 5.56 are not on the same level at all. Two totally different rounds...and the AR is a rifle, the AK isn't.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If an AK isn't a rifle, then what is it? In Texas you are allowed to take deer with a any center fire cartridge. .223 is no prob with a well placed shot on a White tail. Hogs, mule deer ,etc.. I would go with a bigger round for sure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts