Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we talk about .223 and 5.56 both are identical in shape. In fact, we can load a .223 in a 5.56 chamber and both cartridges are widely used in AR guns. So the question is. Is it possible to hunt big games like a Bear or Deer in any of these cartridges or? Is there any step by step AR 15 build guide for Hunting purpose.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts

Doable...but some don't recommend it, as for me...if all I had was a .223 to hunt...I would do my best to drop a deer one shot every time

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well, the cases may be the same. The chambers in the rifles are not.

A .223 chamber is not the same as a .223 Wylde chamber and that is not the same as a 5.56X45 chamber.

5.56X45 ammo, fired in a .223 chambered barrel may cause high chamber pressure problems. 5.56X45 ammo fired in a .223 Wylde or 5.56X45 chamber is just fine.

Some states (VA is one) do not allow you to deer hunt with a .223/5.56X45 caliber. In some states it is legal.

I might hunt (never have) deer with a .223 chambered rifle but I'd be very careful about using a heavier bullet and taking/making a really precise shot at the right deer. While many people will say a hunter has a responsibility to make a precise shot most don't take the time (or have the skill/rifle/ammo) to do it in the woods. Lots of reasons for that and many hunters don't even realize it.

You know you can build one (or possibly buy one) chambered in much better, or even legal, cartridges that still work fine in an AR15 rifle. 7.62X39, .300 BO, 6.8 (can't remember the letters behind the caliber on that one), 6.5 Grendel, that new .350 Legend, etc., etc., etc. Some of them require different (made different on the sides to better support/guide/feed the cartridges to the bolt/chamber) magazines that look/work like a regular .223/5.56X45 magazine but have some differences.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Small-ish deer, sure.
Bears? I wouldn't.
For a hunting AR I'd build something 30 caliber-up. Lots of potent choices in an AR platform.

Merriweather Lewis (of Lewis and Clark) had several passegrs in his journals about encounters with a new beast, the never before seen (by east coast Americas) North American Grizzly. No slouch with a rifle, he wrote of how they seemed almost unkillable... taking many well-placed kill shots w .56 caliber balls from their Pennsylvania (Kentucky) rifles before going down, especially when angry and charging.
He and his crew did their best to steer clear... they made quite an impression.

Not making a leap, you never said Grizzlies... just a side comment.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Texas allows 223.
I hunt with a 7.62x39 in either my AR or my Ruger BA rifle.

I prefer the 30 cal 762 rd in AR platform. And put in an much more accurate platform like the Ruger and its even better. The 762 AR improves it drastically over the AK however the SKS platform is also decently accurate with the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,211 Posts
I would rather use a 300 BO and be sub 100 yards to take a deer with an AR 15.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I’ll basically repeat what’s been said. White tail.... yeah, mule dear...no.. bear....definitely not.

now with that said, I know someone that took down a small black bear with a .22 but that was all he had and he was not hunting anything. I seem to recall he had large mag and took all of it before the bear basically dropped at his feat. The bear is on the floor of his cabin now. Looks good too. ;)

As for anything considered ”big game”.. definitely not.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Plenty of better rounds for deer that work in the AR platform. that said, I've taken a deer with some Winchester 64gr hunting ammo. the bullets were garbage. the first one exploded on a rib. the second nicked the sternum and went the full length of the deer without expanding (exited the inner thigh). This was from a Keltec SU16a, so 18 1/2" barrel should work better than 95% of the AR barrels out there too. I would have never known how bad they were if not for the fact that I hit the heart with the full length shot. Green tips would have worked better for both hits.
I think I'd stick with 75gr+ ammo for white-tail and a .223/5.56. I no longer trust expanding light weight bullets like that.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
The rule of thumb most big game hunters use for deer and larger game is, at the point of impact, the bullet must be over 1,800 fps to ensure proper expansion of the bullet and must have a minimum of 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Most 223/5.56 rifles barely have more than 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. By 100 yards they are well below that.

The smallest caliber rifle I have that I would use for deer or larger game is my 6.5 Grendel AR-15.

My 5.56 AR-15 is used for varmints.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Well, the cases may be the same. The chambers in the rifles are not.

A .223 chamber is not the same as a .223 Wylde chamber and that is not the same as a 5.56X45 chamber.

5.56X45 ammo, fired in a .223 chambered barrel may cause high chamber pressure problems. 5.56X45 ammo fired in a .223 Wylde or 5.56X45 chamber is just fine.
^ @richard33 , I know that this isn't the crux of your OP, but it's worth reiterating - as well as for you to take a moment to double-check what's stamped on your barrel.

There's some really good, in-depth articles about this (I found the Lucky Gunner article easy to digest, and The Ultimate Reloader article a more in-depth that stretched the pea that I call a brain quite a bit! - for a more practical/typical look, see the Michiguns Neck and Throad 5.56 Reamer page descriptions), but what @M1A4ME wrote above is a good baseline to always keep in-mind, even if you don't want to bother with a deeper dive. :)

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
The rule of thumb most big game hunters use for deer and larger game is, at the point of impact, the bullet must be over 1,800 fps to ensure proper expansion of the bullet and must have a minimum of 1,000 ft/lbs of energy.

Most 223/5.56 rifles barely have more than 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle. By 100 yards they are well below that.

The smallest caliber rifle I have that I would use for deer or larger game is my 6.5 Grendel AR-15.

My 5.56 AR-15 is used for varmints.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
my experience took place at under 50 yrds and likely about 3,000fps. Its not just KE or velocity. you need a bullet that is going to work every time.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
my experience took place at under 50 yrds and likely about 3,000fps. Its not just KE or velocity. you need a bullet that is going to work every time.
Most modern hunting bullets will reliably expand as long as they are over 1,800 fps. Your 50 yard shot ensured that you were well over that velocity.

The 1,000 ft/lbs is a decent guideline followed by many professional hunters, but isn't a hard and fast rule. Depending on your rifle and ammunition I'm guessing you were still above 900 ft/lbs at impact.

If you're only taking shots under 100 yards, the 5.56/223 will do a decent job on deer, but it's pushing the capability of the round. There's a reason many states don't allow it for hunting.

The 6.5 Grendel has more than enough power and velocity and maintains it for a LOT farther than 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
Or 6.8 SPC.... But honestly, if I was going to regularly hunt anything... 308 bolt gun.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
Or 6.8 SPC.... But honestly, if I was going to regularly hunt anything... 308 bolt gun.
308 isnt drastically different than my 270 win. IMHO, it wastes too much meat. I'm working to find my own sweet spot. I suspect it might be 6.5/6.8 or 300 for the shorter. Better .223 would likely be sufficient as well, but my gut tells me just a little more would be preferable.

·
Registered
29,746 Posts
Either .223 or 5.56 will drop a whitetail provided proper bullet selection and shot placement.

I know several people who have taken deer with .223 in both carbine/rifle barrels, as well as pistol barrel lengths (10.5 being most common). Bullet selection is key, with the 52gr Barnes TTSX being one of the best performers out of both barrel lengths. .300is becoming more popular with the pistol hunters, lately.

Bear? Out of a rifle...maybe black bear, using a super heavy bullet; but it wouldn’t be my choice...if I’d be hunting bear, and using a small-chassis AR, I’d look at something like .350 Legend, or maybe 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Look at 6mm ARC
Near 243 performance in an AR-15 platform
Just read a write up in American Rifleman, looking forward to being able to buy an upper in ARC.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
I've got guys who hunt on their ranch near Dallas, hogs being the primary target. When we talk guns they're pretty much .308 guys based on what they see them do to large hogs. They'll tell you other calibers work well but .308 is really hard to beat.

They're also the guys who bought my LMT AR platform .308. They put a 6.5 barrel on and while they say they like the accuracy they shoot almost exclusively .308. Plenty of ammo available, reasonable prices, and it drops even very large hogs in their tracks. Time hasn't ever permitted me the chance to shoot with them but I believe them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Minimum, barely, just enough, probably will work, etc. is waiting on something bad to happen.

Guys in the Army used to say, "Overkill works." You can call it a safety margin if you like, it still works.

I know people who killed deer with a .22 rimfire revolver. And I know people who wounded deer with a .30-06. Shot placement is important and not always considered.

Lightweight AR in .308? Hopefully PSA will grab the DPMS material, specs., machinery they used to make the GII .308 ARs and start making them again. My GII is no where near as heavy as my M1A.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts