Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, am getting ready to reload .223. After talking to different people and reading about dies should I, get the small base dies or regular dies. I, was told small base dies, size the case to the minimun which reduces extraction problems when shooting. Also how many times can a case be reloaded using sm base compared to regular dies.
One more question. Do I, need to use a crimp die along with the one that comes in the set? Was told not to set the crimp on the set one, but use a crimp die to get a better crimp.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If you have an auto-loader then the SB dies might make feeding better. It really depends on the chamber. But I would probably go with the SB to avoid potential problems.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I, am getting ready to reload .223. After talking to different people and reading about dies should I, get the small base dies or regular dies. I, was told small base dies, size the case to the minimun which reduces extraction problems when shooting. Also how many times can a case be reloaded using sm base compared to regular dies.
One more question. Do I, need to use a crimp die along with the one that comes in the set? Was told not to set the crimp on the set one, but use a crimp die to get a better crimp.

There really is no reason for using a small base die unless you have a tight chamber. If you are reloading for a factory rifle, chances are you do not have a tight chamber and therefore will do just fine with regular die. The issue with using small base dies when not really needed has to do with overworking the brass and eventually causing premature case head separation. So my suggestion is to just stick with regular old sizing dies and as always, inspect your brass for signs of fatigue and cracking regardless of the kind of die or number of reloads.

Some information on what brand of dies you are using would be helpful, however, if you are using Lee dies, the 3 die set that comes with the Lee factory crimp die, there is no reason not to use it. That is an excellent crimper and serves its purpose well. I use the Lee dies myself and have had excellent results for several thousand rounds of .223. I hope this helps to remove some confusion. All you need is the full length sizing die, bullet seating die, and the factory crimp die. Always full length size brass for semi-autos to ensure proper fit and function. If you are reloading for a bolt action gun then you have your choice of either neck sizing or full length sizing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dies I, plan to use are the two die set RCBS. The chamber is CMMG 5.56.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just started reloading 223. I have the Hornady New Dimension 2 die set. Just tested my second "batch" today with no malfunctions. Shooting my Bushmaster XM15 E2S barrel stamped 5.56/223 The dies are regular base type I believe.

·
Registered
566 Posts
ditto with the above.I have reloaded thousands of 223 for my colt and smith ar no problems with my lee die set.
pete

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i use the lee dies for my cmmg ar15s

·
Registered
747 Posts
The dies I, plan to use are the two die set RCBS. The chamber is CMMG 5.56.
If you are using a two die set then yes I do suggest getting a crimp die specifically for crimping. And reloading .223 to be used in a 5.56 chamber should be completely fine without having to use the small base dies. But really it is up to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts