Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a formula to figure out pressures for a certain load ? I’m loading .223 for my AR and plan on using CCI450 primers due to flash fire concerns with 400’s and now finding out the 450’s can produce a more significant amount of pressure. Was hoping to get some input from you good people . Just trying to stay safe - Thanks

Hornady Match 68 gr HPBT
CFE223 - 25.7 gr
CCI450 primer
OAL=2.25”

Hornady Match 68 gr HPBT
CFE223 - 25 gr
CCI450 primer
OAL=2.24”

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
QuickLOAD is some software that might lead you in the right direction. Magnums will give you a little more pressure, but you should work up with a change in components regardless.

Although I'm not sure why you are concerned about CCI400's though. Explain to me flash fires?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QuickLOAD is some software that might lead you in the right direction. Magnums will give you a little more pressure, but you should work up with a change in components regardless.

Although I'm not sure why you are concerned about CCI400's though. Explain to me flash fires?

Whoops - sorry - meant to say slam fire. The CCI400 has a .020" thk. cup and the 450 has a .025". Good info on the softwareTaylor - thanks !

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Quick load is still a guess, but an educated guess. Mag primers will increase pressures, but unless you are already at max, going to a mag primer should not be an issue. Drop your charge wt 5% if at the top & work it back up. A chrono will help you see the vel changes, often relates directly to pressure changes, all else being equal.
As to slam fires. Not a huge issue with the ar. Cci are plenty hard for service rifle use.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
The slamfire "problem" mentioned by the OP is horsehockey. Also, the assertion by the OP that pressure would be "significantly raised" by use of a CCI 450 primer is horsehockey. Otherwise, very informative thread! ;)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I too use the cci450s. I just do what was previously mentioned. I work my loads up using the 450s and no issues.

if you want a thicker cupped primer use CCI no. 41 s. although, I have never experienced a slam fire, knock on wood. if you are worried though, no. 41s were designed with tougher cups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts