Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 1st AR back in December, since then I've shot some Tula 55 gr , Barnaul 62 gr, American eagle 55 gr, Indepenence 55gr and some PPU HPBT 75 gr(all of this was .223). In 5.56 , i ran some Frontier 62 fmj and Magtech otm 77gr. All of this function and performed well in the rifle out to 100yds, the HP rnds did really well.

After all this shooting I'm left with over 200 rnds of the PPU HP and 500rnds of the Barnaul 62gr fmj.

What I'm hoping for now is some suggestions on what to buy/try next(not a big budget at the moment around $400-450). I haven't tried any soft point. What i'm trying to figure out would be some decent self defense / light hunting rnds possibly(nothing larger than coyote most likely). I was hoping to get maybe 500 more rnds FMJ (maybe something with decent defense applications) and then maybe 200 to 500 rnds all purpose defense /hunting.

I need to get more experience with with platform , but i thought i'd use the knowledge here to help me at the moment. I'm reading and watching what i can now.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
For hunting, winchester deer season is hard to beat. Slow even expansion at reasonable ranges and seems to dupe greentip ballistics for common zero.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and ordered some ammo, couple of the websites i was looking at were really selling out fast. Sgammo's website went down on me twice and was really slow when i was looking. Had to look elsewhere.
Picked up 500 rnds of Wolf 55gr fmj and got 500 Federal Tactical 55gr LE223 to try. Was less than i was gonna spend too. Not a lot of ammo but it's a start.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I personally do not use soviet stuff in my AR. Its often steel cased and very dirty.

I use:

IMI
Federal AE
Federal green tip
Winchester Q3131
Seller and Belliot

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
My 7.62x39 Windham AR eats the rusky ammo all day long.

And when compared to brass in price I feed it to it.

It is my opinion that the steel may wear somethings more most of us will never shoot enough to wear out our guns.
My02 YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Personal preference. I consider an ar that wont feed steel reliably a reason to sell that one and have done that.

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I know you probably can't do this, now, @stuz92 , but consider starting to save up for it. :)

----->

Save some money for classes: either weapons manipulation or an "armorer's course." ;)

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Personal preference. I consider an ar that wont feed steel reliably a reason to sell that one and have done that.
I agree.
I feel that a weapon should function reliably with any ammo of the proper caliber for the weapon. I dont like picky eaters.
My guns run
Alum
Steel
Brass
Be they hand gun or long gun lever bolt or semi auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts