Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a .22 rifle for my son as his "big shock item" x-mas present this year. I have looked at the Crickets but @ $165 -$189 for a tiny single shot? I just can not see spending that much for it.

CrickettRifle, Crickett.com, Keystone Sporting Arms, Inc. Davey Crickett, My first rifle, New with safety lock, .22 rifle, Davey Crickett kids club, rifles, accessories, scopes Keystone Sporting Arms, Inc., Davey Crickett, My first rifle, New with sa

I also saw a Henry Mini Bolt Youth .22 for $219. Again same problem as above, just can't see spending that much. Now I'm not saying that these little rifles aren't good quality or anything just a price issue.

Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

Now what I do like and this is basically the reason for this post is I found a Ruger 10/22 CRR Compact Rifle 16.5" for $227. Now it weighs a little more and is has a slightly longer pull then the Henry and Crickett. I know it weighs less then the pellet gun he has been shooting and is definately smaller.

Ruger 10/22 CRR Compact Rifle 16.5"

I don't know are there any parents out there with some advice? I would just hate for him to out grow it too fast and/or just have a rifle too small for him. Let the thoughts roll!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I would go with the full size 10/22. Its only 1/2 lb heavier and he would be able to grow into it. According to the Ruger web site the full size is 5 lbs and the compact is 4 1/2 lbs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I was about his age when my step-dad bought me my first .22LR rifle. I was a tall 8yo with freakishly long arms for a kid my age but still not big enough to quite handle a full size rifle. Rather than get me the "youth" model he knew I'd outgrow in a few years or less, he went with a Marlin Model 25 Micro-groove Bolt Action because it was still fairly lightweight, portable and easy enough for me to use right away.

On the other hand, I think that the 10/22 option is ideal. With the 10/22, you can easily get the CRR now for an excellent price and stocks for the 10/22 are bountiful and can be had in a huge variety of different options from laminated thumbhole models to "tacticool" synthetic models once he outgrows the short LOP stock. Same receiver...just a new stock (and maybe a heavy target barrel, etc.) I'd probably lean toward the 10/22 just for those reason. Additionally, who knows if you'll be able to buy a semi-auto .22 in another year. Better to get him one now that he can upgrade to fit him later than to not be able to ever have one at all.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My vote is for the 10/22...

The first firearm I ever fired was a small Winchester .22 single shot that my grandfather had when he was young. It was used to teach firearm safety, etc... in combination with my air rifle, as I'm assuming you have done. Single shots are nice because they are easy to operate and control (one round at a time, even though a 10/22 mag can be loaded with only one)

That being said, my dad suprised me (and my mother :mrgreen:) with a 10/22 when I was 8 for Christmas... It was a stainless steel model for ease of cleaning/corrosion resistance and it had the lightweight synthetic stock. Did I out grow it? No, and I have plinked with, hunted with, and carried the same 10/22 through the woods for the past 12+ years (13 this christmas as I'm almost 21 if anyone didn't want to do the math). My girlfriend used my 10/22 this weekend during the Appleseed shoot, and I will probably use it plinking next weekend.

If you liked the single shot idea perhaps you should look into some of the Savage .22 bolt actions. They may not be as small as the Cricket, but that isn't a bad thing as the cricket would get too small to fast.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
For a youngster, I think a bolt action .22 would be a better option. Since he has to work the bolt for each shot, he will learn better shot discipline. Also, working the bolt takes some measure of time and effort, so there is less opportunity for shots made in error or unintended shots fired. He needs to think about what he's doing for each shot.

There are plenty of good multi-shot .22 bolt actions out there for well under $200. You can find the Winchester Wildcat (private brand version of the TOZ-78 ) for about $150 on sale. It is light (about 4.5-5.0 pounds) and comes with 1 5-shot, and 2 or 3 10-shot magazines. Nice iron sights. Very accurate.

ETA: Well, they were available at $150 a month or two back, but a quick look for the Wildcat .22 seems to show prices right around $200. Still a very .22 nice rifle at that price.

GunBroker.com

·
Registered
294 Posts
Get the 10/22. Like others have said, there are so many stock options to choose from, get a shorter stock for now, and later get him a full size one.

I got my little girl the "PINK" cricket single shot when she was 8, she is 11 now and shoot a .243 full size. She's my little Trooper.

Your Son will enjoy the 10/22 for Life. There are so many options for the 10/22, including high cap mags...

As always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 10/22 is a great option or if on a budget...

In the Dick's flyer this weekend they had an ad for a
Rossi Youth Matched Pair: 22LR/410 ga.
The two barrel combo after rebate was only $89.98.

Thought about picking one up for my youngster.

-XSD

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Look at MArlin if you want to knock the price down...not as many accessories as ruger but better price.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got the Chipmunk (Cricket now) for my son and love it for him. He's small and tried my 10/22, but it was too heavy. Actually I thought about getting a seperate Cricket for myself as it's quite fun to shoot. I also like the single action for beginers. I'm lucky as my son is doing awesome in the safety aspect. My girl wants the pink cricket, but she's a little slow on the learning and I'm in NO hurry to push her (she's only 6).

Another reason for the single action, ammo last MUCH longer :)

The 10/22 is also a great option

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Get the kids sized 10/22 for now then as he grows you can replace the stock and all the other little bits to make it 'his' gun. Everyone knows you only buy a 10/22 for the receiver anyway :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I got the Chipmunk (Cricket now) for my son and love it for him. He's small and tried my 10/22, but it was too heavy. Actually I thought about getting a seperate Cricket for myself as it's quite fun to shoot. I also like the single action for beginers. I'm lucky as my son is doing awesome in the safety aspect. My girl wants the pink cricket, but she's a little slow on the learning and I'm in NO hurry to push her (she's only 6).

Another reason for the single action, ammo last MUCH longer :)

The 10/22 is also a great option
I would vote for the 10-22. I've had mine for years. BUT if you want to teach trigger discipline and marksmanship and such, nothing beats a single shot .22 lr. The 1022 is fun and I like mine a lot, I also like unloading into a can rolling down a hill - with the hill acting as the backstop.

It is way out of the price range, but a T/C Contender frame with a .22 lr pistol and rifle bbl would be a neat combo for teaching pistol and rifle marksmanship.

Chapie+

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
It's quite easy to convert a 10/22 to single shot...keep the magazine locked away...:mrgreen:

I'd also advise the 10/22; when he outgrows the stock, it's cheap to replace it; I see used 10/22 stocks at gun shows for about $20 all the time. If you want a longer barrel on it one someday, it's also a fairly inexpensive upgrade.

·
Registered
141 Posts
10/22 for sure. Got the little dude one & only let him load one round in a mag at a time. Get several mags, the kids will learn loading along with shooting. Get the clear mags too...they love being able to see the bullets!

He has now progressed to his AR-15 with a 22 conversion kit. He started by loading a single round in a 27rd mag. It was his idea......to get used to the gun & how to operate it! His Mom now uses the 10/22. We may have to take it away from her 'cause she out shoots us...:oops:

I couldn't be more proud & he's not even my kid. As a treat for good gun handling he gets to run a mag of .223 through it once in a while. Funny, it takes less time to shoot that than a mag of .22.........hmmmmmm!

·
Registered
855 Posts
I started my then 10- and 8-year old sons on our full size .22 bolt action rifle, first loading one round at a time into it, then gradually introduced the 5-round mags into the equation.

They're not big or strong enough to hold it up alone, so I bought a 'shooting stick' with a V-shaped cradle to rest the forward part of the stock on. I stand next to them and hold the stick upright while they shoot.

Got the old used rifle at a gun show for $130. The seller had stripped and refinished the stock and re-blued the barrel. The bore was like new. I had to have a little work done on the gun recently, but I still think it was a better buy than some of the cheaper .22 rifles in the stores.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
When i was six my dad bought me a ruger 10/22 and its still working perfect. go 10/22!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Check out a CZ, they cost alittle more but the quaility is outstanding

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm 38 now... when I was 12, my Dad bought a Marlin Model 60 to teach me the fundamentals of safe shooting. He still has this little gun and it still shoots flawlessly. I now have a Deluxe Sporter Ruger 10/22. The Marlins go for under $200 at my Wallyworld. I just bought the 10/22 for about $238. Both are very good choices.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Check out a CZ, they cost alittle more but the quaility is outstanding

That is a nice looking rifle! Is that one made for left handers or do you operate the bolt with the left hand and load with the right? I have never seen one quite like that. Do tell. Do they make it in a right hand model?

Chapie+

1 - 20 of 28 Posts