Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 year old daughter has expressed an interest in learning to shoot. I want to encourage this as a part of firearm education and something we can go do together. Problem is that is own nothing smaller than 9mm in handguns. The kick's not bad at all on 9mm for me but it would be a little too much for her as a newbie. The rifles I have are AK and AR and Shotgun. I'm not going to start her on a .223 AR platform, so I've been looking at .22 plinker pistols.

The models I've been looking at are:

Walther P22 (Standard and target length)
Ruger MKIII 22/45 - 5.5" Barrel
S&W 22A
Browning Buckmark

I was hoping to keep price around $300-$400 OTD and wanted to ask any members here what they thought of the above models for general range use for myself and daughter and ease of breakdown and cleaning.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
If you can find a S&W model 422 or 622 (will have to be used since they are out of production), they are lightweight, accurate and the perfect starter gun.

The ruger is a good choice.
I've found Buckmarks to be ammo-picky.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I started my daughter off with a ruger single six.nothing wrong with revolvers:D.
fwiw she can shoot a 1911 better than me now:D:D.
pete

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yes, that also is a great choice.
Naturally I thought of it first but wanted to give 'everyone' a chance to respond.
No thanks necessary.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Another vote for the Buckmark ... Low cost fun.

But I say let her pick it out ... It's only YOUR money :p ;)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
+1 on the Ruger
Ruger is a great little pistol. Had an older model that shot great but was next to impossible to strip and put back together. Maybe they have simplified that.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i got a p22 and i like it a lot

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Ruger or Browning if she is attentive enough to deal with a semi-auto.

Ruger single six for a bit more safety margin

How about a good ole Ruger 10/22?? They're small enough for younger folks. And great fun for older ones too.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The Ruger Single Six is a great "beginner" pistol, particularly for someone who has never shot before. Learning on a revolver definitely promotes safety, trigger control and will allow her to learn the fundamentals while still having a lot of fun. I would rather train someone on a single action revolver for numerous reasons that to jump right into a 10 or 12 round, magazine fed semi-auto. The Single Six gets my pick for a revolver.

If you are set on a semi, both the Ruger 22/45 in a 5.5" barrel and the Buckmark 5.5" are excellent choices that will last more than a lifetime with proper use and cleaning.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I would lean more towards a revolver, a single action cowboy type reolver, many can be had for less then 150.00. If you're looking for a semi auto I would go with the Ruger...just make sure to spend the extra 10 bucks on a mag loader as the ruger mags can eat your hands up reloading after long day at the range and could turn her off of shooting. I can't tell you how many times my hands would hurt after loading the mag over and over and over again without a mag loader for my Ruger.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I gotta throw in a vote for a revolver as well...much easier to tell what condition its in than a semi. When you're standing next to a kid with a loaded gun that's a nice feature.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses all. I'm kind of leaning toward the Semi auto pistol route just so there's something to grow into for her and something Dad can have some fun with too. Please keep the advice coming!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Thanks for the responses all. I'm kind of leaning toward the Semi auto pistol route just so there's something to grow into for her and something Dad can have some fun with too. Please keep the advice coming!

Believe me...you can have fun with a revolver too...relive the days of wanting to be a cowboy.

If it's an option in your area...check around pawn shops, can safe yourself some cash and or possibly buy both. I've seen Ruger Mark IIs and IIIs for under 200 bucks on more then one occasion.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Not a pistol.

Seriously, not a pistol.

If she drops it, either due to jumping a shooting, it will rotate around before hitting the ground. I think the odds of a revolver going off after firing are much slimmer.

Now with that said, I'd say reger 10/22/marlin 60. Whichever she likes the feel of better.

If your going to get a pistol, the first thirty minutes at the range of shooting time, or until your sure she's got it be right behind her. So that some person doesn't bump her (causing a drop) and you can stop her from turning around with it in her hand. Considering your not an idiot, I'll assume she'll pick up safety stuff from you very quickly, and think a little more, but explain to her the safety rules a few times before going including, SET IT DOWN BEFORE YOU TURN AROUND WHILE LEARNING. (or holster it)

Oh and if she doesn't find it comfortable she'll view it as "dad's thing" so do your darndest to make her realize its what she finds comfortable will make the purchase, grips whatever its her if nothing else she'll associate firearms with positive self-worth unlike some of us here's gfs who feel snubbed by them.

Personally for safety with a pistol I'd want as long of a barrel as practical.

Can you tell I'm paranoid? 4 years working with abused and neglected kids always being wary of getting in a position of being charged with abusing kids (they will make claims periodically when mad at you, they know the system) So yeah take it with a grain of alt.

But with all the new shooters a ranges these days, some fool bumping into her while holding a gun is a real possibility. So pay attention.

Oh first time shooting, just borrow a ruger 10/22 then buy a pistol.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I was at Gander Mtn the other day and saw some pellet pistols for about $39. These are basically good for target practice, maybe a little more. Something like this might hold you over until you find the perfect match for her hands, and even though it certainly can be used in a dangerous manner, she could build her confidence on it first, then move up to the 22 when you find it. Just an idea. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
someone makes a pink 22 pistol. cant remember who. never shot one. might be good for her.

i would probably start out with a 22 rifle first, then move onto the pistol.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
Browning or Ruger. We opted for Browning's BuckMark... we now have two: Micro URX 4" and Standard URX 5.5" SS. Once your daughter gets beyond beginner shooting, these will still be fun to shoot... very nice ambidextrous rubber grips, nice heft to the weapons so it never feels like your shooting a "beginner's" or "kid's" gun, but more like Dad's handguns. Extra magazines -- and with kids, you WILL want a LOT of magazines -- are not too expensive. Part of shooting is cleaning, so you'll want your daughter to participate in this as well. The BuckMarks are a bit easier to dissemble for cleaning/reassemble than Ruger's Mark series.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Not to keep harping on the pistol vs. revolver thing, but my 13 year old daughter still finds the Ruger MkII a little heavy and my 9 year old can't hold it up at all. Both are way more comfortable with a single-action revolver.

If you are shooting off a rest, this is a non-issue, but something to keep in mind.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts