Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riddle me this:

I want to try to figure out what the FARTHEST DISTANCE a 22lr will travel out of a 22.5" bolt gun. I'll call it 40gr 1240fps round nose ammo, say similar to Federal Auto Match.

Just guessing here, would you be in the range of 45 degrees up to yield the most distance? How would you figure out the distance from that? I know 22lr drops like a rock at distances greater than 300 yards. Would the farthest distance be any more than 1000 yards? :confused:

Any info/links would be great! :D

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little more base line info:

Flat ground.

2000' elevation.

70 degrees.

·
Administrator
22,465 Posts
I'm wondering where the bullet would land if it was a .50 calibur round fired from an M-82 Barrett at exactly 45 degrees up, fired from Los Angeles due east. This is without weather conditions however wind resistance is a factor. Perhaps someone can factor in the less dense atmosphere as the bullet elevates. Anyways, mathimatically where would the bullet land?
4 years ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
The .50 calibur i have in mind is the 800 grain Barnes that fires at 883 m/s
4 years ago

nealjkin...
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Vx(0) = 883*cos(45 degrees) = 883/sqrt(2)
Vy(0) = 883*sin(45 degrees) = 883/sqrt(2)

The bullet will remain in the air until Vy has gone to zero and then returned back to the opposite of what it was before. Therefore:
Vy(T) = Vy(0) - gT = - Vy(0)
=>
T = 2*Vy(0)/g

In that time, it will have traveled in the x direction the distance:
x = Vx(0)*T
= Vx(0)*(2*Vy(0)/g)
= 2*(883)^2/(2*g)
= 883^2/(9.8) = 79,560 m = 79.56 km

That's pretty far!
- Are you sure about the speed of these bullets?
- Otherwise, we've left out the effect of air friction, which increases greatly with speed

Got this from google. So all you have to do is replace the numbers with yours.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry...............I can not take the time to learn how to do that math!!!!!!!!!!

I might have had a chance back in school, but not now! :)

A 50 cal would go 79km! Yikes!

Best I have found are a couple of short answers in the mile to mile and a quarter so far. Angles have been 45 and 34 degrees.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
725 Posts
45 degrees is indeed the angle for maximum range. In a vacuum, the bullet would follow a parabolic path and land at a 45 degree angle, but you have drag in the atmosphere, so it slows down. To calculate it, you would need to know the coefficient of drag of the bullet. Even then it would be approximate because of wind, powder variation, etc. I remember calculating a crapload of these in physics class, but we never considered drag.

A golf ball is a different animal. They use the lowest angle for the greatest range, with a lot of backspin to loft the ball.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm wondering why you are asking such an odd question looking for an almost exact answer. I mean, on the side of the box it says 1.5miles. But you wouldn't even kill anything after a few hundred yards. I know for a fact about this, I lived at the bottom of a hill and there were some city boys shooting .22s with out a back stop. Well they were on top of a hill a few hundred yards away, the bullet would miss what little back stop they had, fly and land pretty softly on the roof of my house. Why are you so concerned about how far these travel? You should always shoot with a back stop and you should always see where your bullet is going to travel.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm wondering why you are asking such an odd question looking for an almost exact answer. I mean, on the side of the box it says 1.5miles. But you wouldn't even kill anything after a few hundred yards. I know for a fact about this, I lived at the bottom of a hill and there were some city boys shooting .22s with out a back stop. Well they were on top of a hill a few hundred yards away, the bullet would miss what little back stop they had, fly and land pretty softly on the roof of my house. Why are you so concerned about how far these travel? You should always shoot with a back stop and you should always see where your bullet is going to travel.
If by "a few hundred yards" you mean 500+, then maybe.

I want to know the answer to the question I posted for the reason of knowing the answer.

I shoot safe. Always.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Assume that anything under 1.5 miles is at risk and shoot accordingly.

If the bullet will strike any firm object behind what you are shooting at, that 1.5 miles begins to drop rapidly. For example, a ricochet will reduce that distance by several hundred yards due to energy transfer and bullet deformation causing extra aerodynamic drag.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I'm wondering where the bullet would land if it was a .50 calibur round fired from an M-82 Barrett at exactly 45 degrees up, fired from Los Angeles due east. This is without weather conditions however wind resistance is a factor. Perhaps someone can factor in the less dense atmosphere as the bullet elevates. Anyways, mathimatically where would the bullet land?
4 years ago Report Abuse
Additional Details
The .50 calibur i have in mind is the 800 grain Barnes that fires at 883 m/s
4 years ago

nealjkin...
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Vx(0) = 883*cos(45 degrees) = 883/sqrt(2)
Vy(0) = 883*sin(45 degrees) = 883/sqrt(2)

The bullet will remain in the air until Vy has gone to zero and then returned back to the opposite of what it was before. Therefore:
Vy(T) = Vy(0) - gT = - Vy(0)
=>
T = 2*Vy(0)/g

In that time, it will have traveled in the x direction the distance:
x = Vx(0)*T
= Vx(0)*(2*Vy(0)/g)
= 2*(883)^2/(2*g)
= 883^2/(9.8) = 79,560 m = 79.56 km

That's pretty far!
- Are you sure about the speed of these bullets?
- Otherwise, we've left out the effect of air friction, which increases greatly with speed

Got this from google. So all you have to do is replace the numbers with yours.
No way is a bullet going to travel 79 km fired from any gun!:?

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just FYI:

I am not wanting a little info on ballistics so I can Anti Aircraft Fire with a 22!

If I wanted that it would have been 7.62x39 and I would use an AK off my feet.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
If by "a few hundred yards" you mean 500+, then maybe.

I want to know the answer to the question I posted for the reason of knowing the answer.

I shoot safe. Always.
I'm glad you shoot safely, it just seems to be a weird question when the box of shells you buy tells you the range of the projectile. Why wonder how far it "could" travel if you can't use it for that type of distance. Now had you asked effective range, that would be a useful question and answer. But that's just me. I mean no harm and not trying to start anything.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
No way is a bullet going to travel 79 km fired from any gun!:?
If all you had to worry about was gravity and not atmosphere? It might.

However, the air resistance goes up exponentially with speed, so a high speed bullet loses a LOT of energy just by traveling throught the air.

Drag (physics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Note that the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome air drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW). With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting four times the force over a fixed distance produces four times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, four times the work done in half the time requires eight times the power.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Air resistance is why the 253mph Bugatti Veyron has 1000hp.

270hp gets you to 155mph. 730hp is required to get the next 100mph.

The harder you push against it, the more it pushes back.

Newton's laws of motion are three physical laws that form the basis for classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between the forces acting on a body and its motion due to those forces. They have been expressed in several different ways over nearly three centuries,[2] and can be summarized as follows:
  1. First law: The velocity of a body remains constant unless the body is acted upon by an external force.[3][4][5]
  2. Second law: The acceleration a of a body is parallel and directly proportional to the net force F and inversely proportional to the mass m, i.e., F = ma.
  3. Third law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad you shoot safely, it just seems to be a weird question when the box of shells you buy tells you the range of the projectile. Why wonder how far it "could" travel if you can't use it for that type of distance. Now had you asked effective range, that would be a useful question and answer. But that's just me. I mean no harm and not trying to start anything.
I know my current effective range with my Savage Mk2. I do not need to ask what other people think my effective range is......;)

I simply would like to figure out how far a 22lr can be shot.

Simple as that.

I do not buy 22lr that lists the range of the projectile. As memory serves me some old Remington thunderbolts said 1.5-2mi.....?

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
My deceased uncle was a gunnery officer on the U.S.S. New Jersey. He told us storys about the max load A.P. 16" shells (over 2700#) going so far that they had to calculate the spin of the earth, temperature and latitude and that the bullets slowed down going up through the air, but were soss heavy they sped up coming back down.

He also said that every shot eroded some lining off the barrel and that new liners were needed every 500 shots or sooss, less if using full power shots of 6 powder bags or something. Stay up for 45 seconds and had a max range of over 40000 yards at 37 degress elevation and had an accuracy of about 100 yards at that range! HB of CJ (old coot)

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
My uncles artillery unit Vietnam had to take into account the meterological calculations as well. Their longest range gun had a range of 20 miles (without useful accuracy). They had to calculate rotation of the earth, powder charge, air temps (at different altitudes), wind speeds (at different altitudes), barrel age, barrel temp, etc...

M107 Self-Propelled Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The M107's combat experience with the U.S. military was almost entirely limited to the Vietnam War. There it proved its effectiveness by having one of the longest ranges of any mobile artillery piece operated during the Cold War. The M107 was able to launch a 147 lb (67 kg) projectile out to 21 miles (34 km), at 0 deflection and 800 mil (45°) elevation. This range advantage, along with the ability to rapidly move from its last position, made it an effective weapon for destroying North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong command, control, communications facilities and supply trains while evading counter-battery fire from the longest-range Soviet counterparts. This was proven in 1968 at Khe Sanh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Riddle me this:

I want to try to figure out what the FARTHEST DISTANCE a 22lr will travel out of a 22.5" bolt gun. I'll call it 40gr 1240fps round nose ammo, say similar to Federal Auto Match.

Just guessing here, would you be in the range of 45 degrees up to yield the most distance? How would you figure out the distance from that? I know 22lr drops like a rock at distances greater than 300 yards. Would the farthest distance be any more than 1000 yards? :confused:

Any info/links would be great! :D
1000 yards huh. Thats insane. New to the website. I have a Marlin .22 LR and its amazing for long distance target shooting. Great with iron sights up to about hundred fifty yards. Anymore than that, good luck my friend. Careful on that thousand yard shot. This ain't afganistan....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts