Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a norinco JW 15 bolt action .22 rifle. On the side of the barrel it says .22 L.R. My question is can I shoot .22 shorts out of this rifle?

I like to squirrel hunt and do not like to use a shotgun, to noisy. .22 L.R. is loud in the woods.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a henry lver action .22 lr that i consistently use shorts in with zero problems. sometimes they dont feed properly but i would say give it a try. if it chambers fine then should be no problem. give them tree rats a hurtin then a good cookin!

·
Registered
815 Posts
woops. accidently double posted! my bad! lol.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Um...what's the difference? Size? Why use one over the other?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Um...what's the difference? Size? Why use one over the other?
A .22 short is smaller than the .22 long rifle. In fact there is the .22 short, .22 long, and .22 long rifle. The older rifles used to be setup for all 3 but newer ones seem to primarily be set up for .22 long rifle. A .22 short fired through a rifle sounds just a little louder than a pellet gun.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Any gun that is safe for .22lr is safe for shorts or longs as well. Semi-autos will likely not cycle with the lower powered rounds. I'm not sure why the manufacturers have stopped marking the guns ".22 S,L,LR" but most older guns were marked that way.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
To add a little more info, the .22 Short is usually around 65-70 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle, compared to around 100+ ft/lbs for a standard .22LR. They are more quiet than a .22LR.

One note of caution, you may be giving up some accuracy when shooting a .22 Short from a rifle chambered for .22LR. I know Wikipedia is not always a great info source, but the below information appears spot on from other articles I have come across over the years:
It should also be noted that many rifles marked ".22 Short, Long and LR" will not shoot Short rounds with the same degree of accuracy as they will an LR. This is due to the .22 Short round using a 27–29 grain bullet, which is intended for rifles with a 1-20 to 1-24 twist. A rifle for "Short, Long and LR" will normally have a 1-16 twist, which is proper for use with .22 LR rounds using 40 grain bullets. If one is intending to shoot only Shorts, and wants a high degree of accuracy, they would be best served with a rifle chambered for the Short only.
I have an older Mossberg 346KC .22 bolt action, that shoots shorts, longs and LRs (stamped ".22 S-L-LR" right on the barrel). About 30 years ago I used to shoot whatever was cheaper, but I now only shoot the .22LR through it. .22 shorts are not as commonplace as they used to be, and they are not necessarily cheaper than .22LR.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i have an old marlin 91 that shoots pretty much anything you put in it. i shoot mostly 22 cb shorts. they are more quiet than my benjamin pellet rifle.
they work fairly well out to about 35 yards. anything more and you may have to shoot more than once.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Bought in 1932 and fires short, rifle, and long rifle. Most mag. fed weapons will not fire all 3. Most tube and singe loaders will fire all 3.
We use shorts a lot because they're quieter. My rifle will only fire longs or shorts by single load method. As for accuracy, I do great with everything I've shot in it. I don't use shorts for long shots. Just out to 60yds or so.

Note the rusty barrel. Grandpa didn't believe in oil! :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got 3 Remington 581S which shoot both short and LR.... i hunt squirrel and rabbit (Bush tails be ware come Nov :-D) with them and use Sub Sonic Eley ammunition get head shot all day at 100yrds and puff they are down plus they are as loud as the .22 short

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I got 3 Remington 581S which shoot both short and LR.... i hunt squirrel and rabbit (Bush tails be ware come Nov :-D) with them and use Sub Sonic Eley ammunition get head shot all day at 100yrds and puff they are down plus they are as loud as the .22 short
I agree. The sound difference is mostly a powder issue. If you need to use the LR, sub-sonic loads are an option. I'm just cheap and 22shorts are cheaper where I buy.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Also, I would say that single-shot, bolt, lever, or pumpers should fire the shorts as well.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
.... I'm just cheap and 22shorts are cheaper where I buy.

Wow, around here shorts are hard to find and when you do find them they cost more than the sub sonics.

If you want something really quite try the CB Long's. They make less noise than an air rifle when fired from a .22 rifle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts