Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a .22 caliber pistol and want to hear any thoughts on what would be best. I'd like to be able to shoot the cheapest ammo possible. The p22 is mostly appealing because from what I have read it looks like it comes with a threaded barrel and I want to start buying suppressors for my guns in the near future.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
P22's have a pretty spotty reputation for reliability.

I'd stick with a Ruger, Browning Buckmark, or Beretta NEOS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a Browning Buckmark and I love it. My dad was considering a P22 or Ruger Mk 3, and ended up with a Buckmark as well once he handled one at the shop with a shorter barrel than mine. He loves it. Fun and cheap enough to shoot all day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ruger 22/45. It has the "right" grip angle and is reliable, though a little complex to strip and reassemble. Buy Volquartsen drop-in trigger parts and get a crisp 2# trigger, and you will be in heaven.....

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Happy with my Buckmark... trigger was outstanding from the factory, been very reliable, damn fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Age old question and the same answers; Rugers and Buckmark at the top followed by the high dollar S&W. Gotta find the one you like best and that's the right one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a browning buckmark 5.5" UDX MT coming in on tuesday. I researched hard and was between the buckmark and mark III, but the buckmark just felt so much better. Rimfire central is a good forum for info.
Some will depend on your plans. The ruger has more aftermarket parts, but most say the buckmark has the better trigger out of the box, and feels better. You can get a cheap Buckmark for a couple hundred and upgrade with a tactical solutions barrel, different grips, sights, red dots. From what I have heard the p22 can't keep up in terms of accuracy.

·
Registered
14,520 Posts
+100 on the 22/45 Ruger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dad and I both have P-22's...Great little gun...shoots "hot" ammo best...1000's of rounds w/o any problems...Between the 2 of us we've had many .22's and beyond...Depends on what your needs are ??...Laser puts it on target every time..Dad is 82 and still shoots/reloads every chance he gets...Many have bought their own after shooting ours...Keith

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dad and I both have P-22's...Great little gun...shoots "hot" ammo best...1000's of rounds w/o any problems...Between the 2 of us we've had many .22's and beyond...Depends on what your needs are ??...Laser puts it on target every time..Dad is 82 and still shoots/reloads every chance he gets...Many have bought their own after shooting ours...Keith

I love my P22 over my Mark III 22/45...I am at 14,500 rounds through my little gray/black P22.. only one major problem, that was a slide that cracked at 11,000 rnds... Walther/S&W fixed it in 7 days FREE shipping too boot and it was bought used to top it all off!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Stupidity?

At that point I really wasn't shooting .22's. I was only shooting indoors, where you pretty much just stand there and shoot paper. Plus they didn't allow rapid fire. For going out into the woods and just shooting whatever, it was fun as hell.

I'm pretty sure I sold it to fund something else. I'm actually looking to pick up another one soon. The problem is that they've jumped in price since the beginning of the year. Used to be able to grab a new one for under $300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love my p22 target, a really fun little gun, as accurate as I am, and very reliable. But if you're planning on doing bullseye shooting a buckmark or a ruger may be the way to go. As for supressors a decent setup for a p22 with the thread converter, supressor, and transfer tax will run around 500, maybe less. A new integrated supressor upper (which imho is the easiest way to go) for a ruger will be at leat 700 with transfer tax. Either way, 22 pistols are a ton of fun...get both?

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have the Neos. It is an awesome,funky looking pistol. I love it now. For the first 50 rounds or so it only liked the more expensive ammo. If I put cheapo in, it would not discharge it.I ran a couple boxes of more expensive ammo and now I can use anything. I don't know if this is a common problem with this pistol. I love it now.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
We have the Neos. It is an awesome,funky looking pistol. I love it now. For the first 50 rounds or so it only liked the more expensive ammo. If I put cheapo in, it would not discharge it.I ran a couple boxes of more expensive ammo and now I can use anything. I don't know if this is a common problem with this pistol. I love it now.
I'll also suggest the Beretta NEOS. I found one on GPOs Classifieds Sections for $250 with a Stainless slide, BSA Red Dot, 8 mags and a soft carry case that was in great condition. It's been 100% reliable for the 500 I and my daughter put through it. If I were using it just to keep up skills I'd probably go with a Ruger MK III 22/45, but this one is just for plinking fun.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the p22 if a fun pistol to shoot. i would not use it for CC. "maybe" a BUG. and it is not fun to field strip or put back together. you have to use a small plastic rod to help you set the recoil spring.

but all and all it is fun to shoot and i will be getting a silencer for it within the next year is Obama lets me still.:confused:

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
P-22 's are fun but I've got to go with ruger , My government target model with a 6 & 7/8" barrel.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
P22's are nice weapons, Sig makes a nice .22, Buckmarks are also very nice, and I would not take a Ruger if someone gave it to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts