Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of selling my Ruger 22/45 for a Sig Mosquito. Am I crazy?

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Not just yes, but hell yes.

Trade your steel Ruger for a pistol with a pot metal slide and questionable reliability?

What are you smoking...?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Yeah, not sure I would do that trade.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 22/45 was my first handgun purchase, when I knew absolutely zero about guns and about 6 months prior to the release of the 22/45 with replaceable grips.

For me gripping the thing is just awful when compared to my XDs and I shoot like absolute crap. That's what brought about the "idea". That and I'm pretty sure a may have broken the rear sight trying to adjust it.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have a Skeeter, I like it a lot and mine has been almost trouble free, but why do YOU want want one? What do you want to do with it? Just plink tin cans? There might be better choices. However the Mosquito is the only non-conversion that properly mimics a Combat/Service pistol. If just for plinking you might want a Walther P22 or I am currently enjoying a new Bersa 22 which so far has been pretty wonderful for less than $300.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kaboom said:
I have a Skeeter, I like it a lot and mine has been almost trouble free, but why do YOU want want one? What do you want to do with it? Just plink tin cans? There might be better choices. However the Mosquito is the only non-conversion that properly mimics a Combat/Service pistol. If just for plinking you might want a Walther P22 or I am currently enjoying a new Bersa 22 which so far has been pretty wonderful for less than $300.
Mainly a trainer for USPSA. I shoot production with an XD9 Tac.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Mainly a trainer for USPSA. I shoot production with an XD9 Tac.
Other than weight my Mosquito with a rubber grip sleeve is a very close match to my sig P228 but they have a very heavy DA trigger, SA not so bad.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As long as you feed ur skeeter the right ammo and keep er clean, I think you will enjoy it. Wrong ammo it will be FTF, FTE city. At least that's been my experience. Generally good cheap fun.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thinking of selling my Ruger 22/45 for a Sig Mosquito. Am I crazy?
If it's what you like then go for it. With that being said, you already own the superior of the two on paper. The Sig only shoots CCI mini mags reliably... my wife owns one. She only got it because it is pink. The single action trigger pull is horrendous. The only redeeming quality in my opinion is the grip feel. BUT if it does it for you, knock your self out. As long as you don't mind buying CCI mini-mags and only shooting double action you'll no doubt enjoy it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
IMHO keep the Ruger. I just picked up a used skeeter today. Shot reliably for 20 rounds then FTF city. NOT fun. Every conceivable FTF issue you have ever heard of. I looked it up online and found that new ones come with two different recoil springs. One for high velocity and standard. CCI mini mags ran through without a hitch. I ordered a standard spring hoping it will take care of this issue. Owned the Ruger MKIII 22/45 for months now and not one issue. Thousands of rounds through it. I picked up the Skeeter for teaching the wife and daughter on more of a service pistol. As they were designed to do. The eight year old loved both of them today. Stay away from the P22 at all costs. Get a damned neos first.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I bought a sig mosquito and I probably wouldn't buy it again if I had known what it takes to maintain. I've tried lots of ammo but the Federal bulk pack works as well as the CCI Mini Mags in mine. If you switch to the heavier spring (comes with the gun) the Remington Yellow Jacket Hyper Velocity rounds work really well. With the Hyper Velocity rounds, I never had any of the problems below, but it's too expensive for me to use regularly...

I have to clean it THOROUGHLY after every range trip. After about 200 rounds it will have an occasional failure to feed and failure to eject but not enough to make it less fun to shoot. In fact, I have come to rationalize that while running through some of my drills its hiccups are a good thing causing me to have to react and figure out whats wrong.

I still run several hundred rounds through it every time I go to the range and someday I plan to use it with the boys when they're responsible enough to use it at the range. However, I'm not trading it in because the local gun shops won't give me bupcus for it (or I probably would have).

Pro's

Looks cool
Feels great
cheap to shoot

Con's

Not reliable enough for regular duty
picky on ammo
requires regular thorough cleaning

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes, you are crazy IMO. Mosquito has a few reliability issues & the trigger is gritty. However the Mosquito has a more standard trigger, even if it is gritty.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes....that sounds crazy.

I would NEVER sell my 22-45 for any other 22 semi-auto...especially the SIG. Their German and Swiss made P-series guns are tops, but their 22s are very lacking.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
786 Posts
after 500 CCI minimags I can run any HI speed 22RF ammo in mine. not so good with standard RF I have the Sport with the 1/2 longer barrel and I love it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts