Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Lancer sells a straight 20 polymer mag. Its constant curve geometry inside and is a nice mag.
I need some help, here - I thought their 20s for the 5.56/.223 were curved?

They do have limiters built into them that make it hard to load 20 rds on a closed bolt. You need to shave this limiter down if you ever plan to load 20 rds into the mag. In fact, that applies to ALL Lancer mags, 20 or 30, they all have pointless limiters built into them that need shaved down
All of my L5AWMs are loaded to 30, and this is how I typically load for training classes - even those that insist on closed-bolt administrative loading. I've honestly never had an issue in any of my range/training guns (LMT, BCM, BAD, UCWRG, Aero) or with my HD-gun (DD). My understanding was that it was only a certain batch of the 30-round L5s (and I would guess that it's that same time-period's 20s, too, as my 20s also go the full way and can be easily loaded bolt-forward) that saw the seating-on-bolt-forward issue, and indeed, the fix was to file/shave down the limiter. Did this become an issue yet again? I almost want to say that the limiter issue was c.2010-2011?

That said, I download to 28 for my daughter for range-use as well as with for HD, as she has trouble inserting full 30s on closed bolt: and this is regardless of magazines used (that was actually the first thing I tried for her). :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I’m sitting in the hot tub. Your right, the Lancer 20’s are curved. I was going off memory.

As to Lancer limiters, I have about 30 of their mags and every one of them were way too stiff on a closed bolt due to the limiter. Consequently I shaved down the limiter in every Lancer mag I own. The limiter serves no purpose at all, it needs to go. The mags come out the other side better and easier to load on a closed bolt without the limiter. I would urge anyone to get rid of the limiters on their Lancer mags. I’ve never seen certain batch differences, all of the AWM mags from several years all appear identical.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
^ :) Hey, we've all gotta our skin wet time, right? Hot tub is as good as any. :)

That's weird - do all your mags date from a certain time-period?

The ten 30-rd. L5AWMs that I actively use all date from 2014-ish. Four others reserved for HD use have also been vetted with loading to the full 30, and they were within this time-frame as well, in addition to a couple of 10-rounders and 20-rounders (both of which also load to full capacity, and can also be reliably inserted/locked bolt-forward on each of my ARs listed above). Of these, only the four HD mags are translucent smoked. All of the others are translucent clear.

I don't have any L5AWMs that pre-date 2012. I only started shooting as a hobby in literally the last months of 2010, and didn't start my AR journey until the second half of 2011. It wasn't until after I took my first real AR course that I started swapping my small cache of PMags for the L5AWMs, as my DD seems tolerance-stack with Gen M2 PMags, and seems to want to hang on to them a bit more.

I'm now tempted to start going into my stash of L5AWMs, and see if I can trace down a pattern! The prospect of having to load and unload all of them, though, kinda makes me not want to, even though it would be interesting! :D

·
Registered
7,001 Posts

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
^ I already have one. :) I use it to unload mags at the beginning of training classes if the instructional cadre asks for down-loaded mags. It's so much easier to do than stripping them out by-hand. Loading, I don't really find it to go any faster.

I actually don't find loading AR mags to be objectionable at all. :)

That said, I've wanted to get one of those loading trays........
There's always this.

MagPump PRO Mag Loader AR-15 223 Remington 5.56x45mm 300 AAC Blackout

·
Registered
19,918 Posts
^ Would be great to have a pickup and be able to bolt that to the gate. :)
Get a truck. They're good for dumb stuff. I've been daily driving a '92 Dodge D-150 for 6 months. I do miss the gas mileage of my Civic but it's already come in handy for stuff.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
^ I tried talking my wife into a Raptor or one of those top-line Rams this past lease cycle. The fact that it won't fit in our garage is a bit of an issue to be remedied with the next house. :)

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
^ That's what I said to my wife, too. That I'd just park her (the truck, not my wife!!!!) outside.

But then I thought about scraping the glass on our frozen NE-Ohio mornings.......... :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
^ That's what I said to my wife, too. That I'd just park her (the truck, not my wife!!!!) outside.

But then I thought about scraping the glass on our frozen NE-Ohio mornings.......... :D
Remote start with auto climate control.

Next excuse?

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
OK, so, Greta is right, and it's flippin' 50+ deg. F. outside right now.....

But I still remember (and I'm sure it's comin'!) winters where by the time I brushed off the back of the car, the front would need to be *scraped* off, *again*. :lol:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts