Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
17,371 Posts
Here's a example of wrong tool for the wrong job. What a tragedy
That is the worst example possible. The officer didn't know there were dressing rooms and bystanders in the shot (even though he is responsible for every shot) ... And it's been proven that 223 is quite an appropriate round indoors. It was a fluke shot.... Not to mention... That was the most accurate weapon at the officers disposal. It wasn't an accuracy problem.

Reactions: .45fan

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Shoot more. That just doesn't make sense. I have zero doubt, at 10 yards, I hit a cantelope 100 out of 100 times. An apple better than 50/50. I'm no pistol Smith... I just know my accuracy. Whether I shoot depends, but it's silly to think that scenario is too far out of bounds for a pistol.

You don't train to do the impossible, you train to know the possible, and what you can do if given the opportunity. And if you are worried about accuracy and a bad shot... Then that wins the argument for carrying the most accurate pistol you can afford. And compacts don't make that list usually....
Huh? I know what I can do with a pistol. That's why I wouldn't take the shot.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Here's a example of wrong tool for the wrong job. What a tragedy
I only read until it said the suspects weapon had not been found, and there was a dead kid in the background then stopped.

This story appears to be a cop that was a terrible shot that isn't smart enough to look at the area they were unloading into.

What are those 4 rules about guns they teach us as kids?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That is the worst example possible. The officer didn't know there were dressing rooms and bystanders in the shot (even though he is responsible for every shot) ... And it's been proven that 223 is quite an appropriate round indoors. It was a fluke shot.... Not to mention... That was the most accurate weapon at the officers disposal. It wasn't an accuracy problem.
Im trying not to judge before knowing all the facts but so far I don't think a firearm was necessary. I'm glad that no officers were hurt, happy the perp is dead, but the end result is tragic. Maybe a shotgun with #4 in a department store is a better tool. I don't know and there are an infinite amount of factors that can change the outcome.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
That's why I stay on your ass about buying good equipment and taking classes.
Please don't ride my ass, well at least buy me dinner first. My point is that Iv shot long enough to know that no matter what pistol you put in my hands I can only do so much. I will never match a 1 moa pistols performance. Especially under stress.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Please don't ride my ass, well at least buy me dinner first. My point is that Iv shot long enough to know that no matter what pistol you put in my hands I can only do so much. I will never match a 1 moa pistols performance. Especially under stress.
Not with that attitude you won't.
I guess if you don't carry it really doesn't matter.

BTW: stress is a trainable problem to work around.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Not with that attitude you won't.
I guess if you don't carry it really doesn't matter.

BTW: stress is a trainable problem to work around.
45 maybe your to cocky for your own good but I tell you what with that attitude I want you to be my personal trainer I have to lose weight. In order for this to happen.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
And yes I can't legally carry as I don't have my ccw but I did once hear a wise man say : I'd rather be judged by a jury of 12 then carried by six. Always kinda made sense.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
45 maybe your to cocky for your own good but I tell you what with that attitude I want you to be my personal trainer I have to lose weight. In order for this to happen.
Not cocky, just been there done that.

Think about how often you see stories about swat members, or military special forces effing up?

Not often, because they train, with enough training stress isn't an issue.

I'm not comparing myself to the above groups, just using them as an example of stress being able to go away.

ETA: 10 pounds is easy to drop, just tell your Dr you want a colonoscopy. That stuff you have to drink will literally flush 10 pounds out in a matter of 24 hours.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
And yes I can't legally carry as I don't have my ccw but I did once hear a wise man say : I'd rather be judged by a jury of 12 then carried by six. Always kinda made sense.
I took it for granted you carried, my fault.

Lots of folks in that state on forums have carry permits, so they ate available. Basscliff had a thread about the production he went though to get a permit.
I thought ours were overkill to get until I read his adventure.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
He's not is Los Angeles county there are a few county's where you can and their sheriff's support the people they serve.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
He's not is Los Angeles county there are a few county's where you can and their sheriff's support the people they serve.
From what I remember that's the county you would want to carry.

If you won't leave the state, I would certainly go to a better county then. One by one move your group of family members and that will solve that problem.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
From what I remember that's the county you would want to carry.

If you won't leave the state, I would certainly go to a better county then. One by one move your group of family members and that will solve that problem.
I freaking love you. Dude I'm amazed how easy you make that sound. Yes Los Angeles is in a whole heap of trouble but it's my home and the home of many of my loved 1's. I have a good job and way too much invested to be able to walk away. I was raised to defend myself and not rely on someone for protection. There will come a time (God willing) that I plan to be abl to travel as I please.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I freaking love you. Dude I'm amazed how easy you make that sound. Yes Los Angeles is in a whole heap of trouble but it's my home and the home of many of my loved 1's. I have a good job and way too much invested to be able to walk away. I was raised to defend myself and not rely on someone for protection. There will come a time (God willing) that I plan to be abl to travel as I please.
I get it, but moving isn't hard.
You said you are in skilled trades as a career, aren't there jobs doing the same in better areas?
Same with your family, move them one by one.
Right now jibs are dime a dozen so this would be a great time to look into it.

Unless you own a bunch of properties in that area, moving is easy.

Take a couple days vacation after you find where you want to move to and find a job. Find a house you want and grab it.
Where I'm at houses are selling in a day or two, sell your house and then work on your next family member.
A year later you have most if not all moved and life us better for all.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Move family members what on gods green earth makes you think your gonna be able to move family members as if there furniture. I don't own properties or a home I rent an apartment. I don't think finding another job would be all that difficult. I'm good at what I do and I have great work habits. Things aren't perfect here but I'm still overall happy. Risking that not to mention my immediate familys happiness would be foolish (to me).

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I was under the impression your family was tight, you mentioned bike distances, and lots of time together.
If one family member moved the rest would want to go as well.

Didn't know you rented, that could go either way, makes it easier to move as you just get a new apartment, or stressful if the new area is all houses.

Skilled trades people here live in the more expensive areas as they generally make better money.

I guess life is way different out there, compared to here.

Here everyone in my family has owned a house by the time they are 30, so I just took for granted you did.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I am family rich and we are tight. Buying a home was definitely a goal of mine it just didn't work out. I do make a decent living unfortunately the cost of living contradicts that. A fixer upper home in my area is $500-600k, again that's not a turn key home. If I would be willing to sacrifice my happiness a turn key home can be had for $400k. I'm not willing to make that kind of sacrifice. I'm as dumb as a rock but have always been able to live within my needs. I have a good size down payment ready at hand and have always purchased my cars cash. Moving out of state isn't out sight for me, it would have to be perfectly planned and for things to fall in to place. The biggest factor being my 2 babies. It's not as easy as get up and go. Plus I do love my state the problems that plagues our state (country for that matter) can be fixed. We just need the right captain steering the ship. Again I like my state just not our leaders.

And what did I tell you 45 I was gonna force you to be my friend lol all we're missing is some cold beers and I'm trying to quit 😂

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I am family rich and we are tight. Buying a home was definitely a goal of mine it just didn't work out. I do make a decent living unfortunately the cost of living contradicts that. A fixer upper home in my area is $500-600k, again that's not a turn key home. If I would be willing to sacrifice my happiness a turn key home can be had for $400k. I'm not willing to make that kind of sacrifice. I'm as dumb as a rock but have always been able to live within my needs. I have a good size down payment ready at hand and have always purchased my cars cash. Moving out of state isn't out sight for me, it would have to be perfectly planned and for things to fall in to place. The biggest factor being my 2 babies. It's not as easy as get up and go. Plus I do love my state the problems that plagues our state (country for that matter) can be fixed. We just need the right captain steering the ship. Again I like my state just not our leaders.

And what did I tell you 45 I was gonna force you to be my friend lol all we're missing is some cold beers and I'm trying to quit
Wow that's effed up.

We live in the smallest of all the houses we own and its been paid off for two decades. It would get the least amount of rent, so we stay here. 1k sq ft ranch with finished basement and detached 2.5 car garage on a double lot. Its plenty for the wife and I.

We could sell everything and buy a million dollar house, but why. Where we are keeps the rain off of us and crime isn't that bad.

When we are ready to retire we will dump the trucking business sell a few rentals and move to the country, leaving the rest of the rentals to our daughters.

Other than our kids, my family is within an hour in all directions. Our youngest daughter is a few houses away the oldest is in out of state at school.
We planted roots here because of money, I see family any time I want and can call anytime, but they don't pay the bills or setup retirement money, so I have to be where the money is.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts