Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see who is going to be there.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know Fredj will be there. Anyone else?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I know Fredj will be there. Anyone else?
It may be the best IDPA match in the country or at least top 5. Not that I have been to every match, but enough.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may be the best IDPA match in the country or at least top 5. Not that I have been to every match, but enough.
You guys are heading to Tulsa too? I may have to swing by there if I have the time off.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
There will be quite a few guys from Prado; Robert, me, Katie, Joe, Chris, a few more. We are kinda spread out Thur thru Friday. Robert & I managed to get on the same squad, shoot Friday am, Sat pm.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There will be quite a few guys from Prado; Robert, me, Katie, Joe, Chris, a few more. We are kinda spread out Thur thru Friday. Robert & I managed to get on the same squad, shoot Friday am, Sat pm.
Pretty cool! I imagine David and Rowdy will be heading out there too. It's in September so that gives me plenty of time to plan.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where in ga is this ?

how do you get started ?

I've always wanted to shoot competition.
Where do you live? There are a couple of big shooting clubs in GA that can help you get started but it depends on what area you are in.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in central GA. 45 miles from Macon, 70 miles from Atlanta, 80 miles from Augusta.
I think you are between CSRA pistol and GADPA. You should be able to find out about local matches by looking those up.

GADPA - Home

The CSRA Defensive Pistol Association is a private club shooting IDPA at the Pinetucky Range near Augusta

As far as gear, you'll need a pistol, at least 3 magazines, a holster, a magazine pouch and a belt. Pants and shirt are typically required too but that depends on the club.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You may have other clubs in you area but you basically described the whole populated portion of the state to me so those two are the closest I know to you.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
That's Central Ga for ya. right in the middle of nowhere lol.

I guess I could manage to slip on some pants , for a day or so lol. shirt is pushing it though.

I have plenty of guns and plenty of mags.

I really appreciate the info, it's harder than you may think to find info out about this when you don't know what/where to look for it!

You guys dont compete in rifle events or is that something diff all together??

any groups around that focus on rifles comps around here?

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's Central Ga for ya. right in the middle of nowhere lol.

I guess I could manage to slip on some pants , for a day or so lol. shirt is pushing it though.

I have plenty of guns and plenty of mags.

I really appreciate the info, it's harder than you may think to find info out about this when you don't know what/where to look for it!

You guys dont compete in rifle events or is that something diff all together??

any groups around that focus on rifles comps around here?
Both of those clubs do rifle and sometimes shotgun events too. You'll have fun. Check out their Facebook pages, a lot of the usuals will give you a ton of info.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
alright that IDPA link is awesome. I am very near conyers and would actually drive that far frequently.

I'm pretty pumped about this!

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright that IDPA link is awesome. I am very near conyers and would actually drive that far frequently.

I'm pretty pumped about this!
Very cool! Remember, don't try to keep up with the other shooters, most are going to have a ton more experience than you. Just be safe and listen to your S.O.'s. You don't want to be the guy who flags or shoots someone at a match, it's a bad look. Shoot at you own pace and again, be safe.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Very cool! Remember, don't try to keep up with the other shooters, most are going to have a ton more experience than you. Just be safe and listen to your S.O.'s. You don't want to be the guy who flags or shoots someone at a match, it's a bad look. Shoot at you own pace and again, be safe.
for sure, gotta walk before you run.

I watched the 14 minute new shooter briefing video. I will start practicing on anything I am bad about, pretty well the up and down (vertical) 180 rule is the only one i didn't previously follow, even alone at the range. The 4 rules were beat into me as a child so that's habit already. I will have to practice responding to the commands and perhaps practice some on cover firing with only 50 percent exposed. I practice moving and firing already due to noone ever being at my range I use. After the video I think I will enjoy this even more.

and only 17 bucks and 40 for annual membership. what a deal. makes the sport accessible.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I'm in central GA. 45 miles from Macon, 70 miles from Atlanta, 80 miles from Augusta.
The club where the t match is every year, is outside Conyers. Google GAIDPA, they run monthly matches too. The stte match is oct 25 weekend, Friday. Touch base with them, good group of guys.
As long as you practice safe gun handling & can present from a holster, you can shoot Idpa. The finer pts will come as you shoot. Even the exp master shooters mess cover up at times, so just grab a pistol you are familiar with, strong side holster, mag pouch & 3-4 mags, you are good o get started.
I'll be out the in oct for the state match. If you get by to watch, I'll give you my cell, we can meet up, put a face to the text.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
The club where the t match is every year, is outside Conyers. Google GAIDPA, they run monthly matches too. The stte match is oct 25 weekend, Friday. Touch base with them, good group of guys.
As long as you practice safe gun handling & can present from a holster, you can shoot Idpa. The finer pts will come as you shoot. Even the exp master shooters mess cover up at times, so just grab a pistol you are familiar with, strong side holster, mag pouch & 3-4 mags, you are good o get started.
I'll be out the in oct for the state match. If you get by to watch, I'll give you my cell, we can meet up, put a face to the text.

Sure thing, sounds good. I'm gonna do my best to get out to watch. Then soon after I am going to get involved in the monthly comps, if all goes to plan!!!!

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure thing, sounds good. I'm gonna do my best to get out to watch. Then soon after I am going to get involved in the monthly comps, if all goes to plan!!!!
Nah! Don't "try" just go do it. Adjust whatever it takes and go shoot one. Too many people say they will try and then a year later, they still haven't done it. Look at my other thread for SoCal shooters. Everyone who says they'll try, never do it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts