Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to load up a batch of 45acp to take to my dad that has a XD45. I am still working on finding my perfect load for my 1911 with these 200gr Missouri Bullet Co Xd#4 lead bullets. I am using 5.1gr of W231. COAL is at 1.200, lee factory crimp die.

Any of you use these bullets and powder for an XD45 service? If so what is your charge weight and what COAL are you using?

Thanks,

Kent

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
FWIW, I use the exact same style of bullet in my reloads. They are from Suter's bullets, though. They run just fine in my 45 service model.

I use AA#7 for powder.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
FWIW, I use the exact same style of bullet in my reloads. They are from Suter's bullets, though. They run just fine in my 45 service model.

I use AA#7 for powder.
It's a fine bullet for the XD. I probably wouldn't use AA#7 for anything but +P loads though. It's pretty slow. With W231 @ 5.1gr, you are looking to hit about 750fps+. Lots of room to go up there. At 5.5gr, you are close to 850fps, accuracy is pretty good there (1 1/2" @ 50ft).

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
5.4 grains of unique
I think you'll find Unique runs "cleaner" above midrange. Get that charge upto 6gr, only running around 825fps.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
It's a fine bullet for the XD. I probably wouldn't use AA#7 for anything but +P loads though. It's pretty slow. With W231 @ 5.1gr, you are looking to hit about 750fps+. Lots of room to go up there. At 5.5gr, you are close to 850fps, accuracy is pretty good there (1 1/2" @ 50ft).
I got the powder charge up there. It's 10 gr. For the +p charges (13 gr), it ran great. Pretty cool fire halo coming out of the barrel. :D Even with lower charge weights it seemed to be accurate and it cycled the slide well, too.

I started using it because it is so slow. I only doubled charged one time, and it was painfully easy to tell just from looking at it. ;) :D

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I got the powder charge up there. It's 10 gr. For the +p charges (13 gr), it ran great. Pretty cool fire halo coming out of the barrel. :D Even with lower charge weights it seemed to be accurate and it cycled the slide well, too.

I started using it because it is so slow. I only doubled charged one time, and it was painfully easy to tell just from looking at it. ;) :D
Yep, the big fireball is unburnt powder. The slower the powder, the higher the pressure needed for complete comustion in short handgun bbls. Drop to a bit faster powder, like WSF for better low vel results. If you are looking for 800fps loads, then W231 or my fav, WST works great. Either can eaily see a double charge.

·
Registered
950 Posts
5.5gr W231 is the exact load I run in my 1911 great accuracy, for some reason that seems to be a magic load for 1911s .I know of a few others that use it also.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5.5gr W231 is the exact load I run in my 1911 great accuracy, for some reason that seems to be a magic load for 1911s .I know of a few others that use it also.
How about an XD45 Service? How does this load do in an XD?
This is what I am really wanting to know.

Thanks for the input so far.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
How about an XD45 Service? How does this load do in an XD?
This is what I am really wanting to know.

Thanks for the input so far.
I run the identical loads in my XDTAC as all of my 1911s. IT will be fine in the service or compact as well. The only thing that won't run well in the XD is LSWC. Everything else, even the huge flat point by Lee runs fine w/ the right OAL.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run the identical loads in my XDTAC as all of my 1911s. IT will be fine in the service or compact as well. The only thing that won't run well in the XD is LSWC. Everything else, even the huge flat point by Lee runs fine w/ the right OAL.

And what COAL are you using?

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
In my XDm .45 I run the 200 gr. RNFP @ 1.200" also. I have been using 5.6 grains but think I'll drop it to 5.5 since there are so many good reports.;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
And what COAL are you using?
Your gun will tell you, use the removed bbl as a case gage, but around 1.20"-1.220". The XD tends to be short throated so the bullet ogive can hit the rifling before the round can fully chamber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts