Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard about this on another forum. the idea is taking one gun and shooting 2000 rounds without cleaning or lubing after you start. and you must disclose any malfunctions. im going to be doing this with my pistols, then im going to continue shooting til the weapon wont function anymore.

·
Registered
642 Posts
ya ive seen this too, but I just cant bring myself to do this. I dont mind the scratches and dings it may get from carrying and such, but being dirty i cant stand haha. I have to clean my guns right away, and im talking about cleaning. I strip it almost completely down. good luck though and keep us posted what guns your doing this with and the results

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont be able to do this for a little while, as it turns out ammo is expensive. but as soon as I start going I will post updates

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Why would you intentionally (probably) damage your weapon? This sounds like something you would do to a weapon that was already junk, or someone who has more money than they know what to do with... unless you are testing the durability of a weapon for some scientific reason then I see no point in possibly ruining a perfectly good weapon.

The results of doing this to a weapon are already known anyway... you can ruin the rifling, you can damage ejectors/extractors, you could possibly damage the barrel itself, etc, etc, etc....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the parts you mentioned are replaceable. also im pretty sure my hk is up to it, as well as the xdm. besides, guns are tools, whats the point of having tools you dont use? just to be clear im not trying to start a fire here

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
all the parts you mentioned are replaceable. also im pretty sure my hk is up to it, as well as the xdm. besides, guns are tools, whats the point of having tools you dont use? just to be clear im not trying to start a fire here
So whats your point though... I agree weapons are tools, but most people dont make it a point to see how much damage they can inflict on their tool set before they need new sockets and ratchets:rolleyes: You take care of your tools so that they will still serve their purpose when you need them to;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, these parts are replaceable but as most people reading this forum im assuming we would rather put money towards a new addition than repairing a weapon we could have otherwise kept in good shape. but that's just from someone who has to worry about money idk what eveyone else situation is.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its more curiosity than anything. i agree that continuing to force the gun to fire would be stupid, but to go until it malfunctions will do no more damage than any other trip to the range would.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
its more curiosity than anything. i agree that continuing to force the gun to fire would be stupid, but to go until it malfunctions will do no more damage than any other trip to the range would.
Thats the equivalent of saying dont change the oil in your car until it stops running:rolleyes:

You are wearing out the weapon when you dont clean it properly... look up barrel bulge... when you get too much build up at one spot in the barrel and it has no where to go, guess what gives?? The barrel;)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Why would you intentionally (probably) damage your weapon? This sounds like something you would do to a weapon that was already junk, or someone who has more money than they know what to do with... unless you are testing the durability of a weapon for some scientific reason then I see no point in possibly ruining a perfectly good weapon.

The results of doing this to a weapon are already known anyway... you can ruin the rifling, you can damage ejectors/extractors, you could possibly damage the barrel itself, etc, etc, etc....
Did it to the XD a loooooong time ago :mrgreen:

For those who haven't seen it - XD9 Fails

And if you head over to the Brian Enos forums, you can find a thread where Rob Latham is stating he has more than 2000 through his new 5.25 without cleaning it ... Just some lube.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've done 1200 rounds in a day w/o much more than snaking the barrel. More for accuracy's sake than any real need to snake it. I would not hesitate to put double or triple that thru the XD or XDM platform w/o cleaning it. The gun will handle it just fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
if I were to shoot 2000 rounds at the speed I shoot at, it would take two full years. so that will not happen with out cleaning.

how ever, I can imagine doing this with frog lube.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I did this w/ my 1stGen Gock G17. I was shooting lead thoug, before they started posting recommendations against it. I broke the extractor @ 3000rds but it still would fire. When the first G17s came out, they shot a 10K round torture test at a local range out here in one day. I believe the only stoppage was a broken extractor as well @ about 6500rds. They replaced it & kept going. It was a creew of 4 reloading mags of factory FMJ & shooting as fast as they could.
FWIW, I rarely clean my 1911s between IDPA matches & will fire about 500rds of lead ammo. They just keep going & going.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts

This won't harm the gun in anyway. Its not a like a torture test where he is dropping the pistol from a helicopter and running it over with a truck. I always put between 1k to 2k through a new duty weapon before I carry it and that is without cleaning. If it passes that I trust it.
pat

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Thats the equivalent of saying dont change the oil in your car until it stops running:rolleyes:

You are wearing out the weapon when you dont clean it properly... look up barrel bulge... when you get too much build up at one spot in the barrel and it has no where to go, guess what gives?? The barrel;)
Barrel buldge is usually caused by a projectile remaining in the barrel when another one is fired behind it. Not really applicable here.
Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those that are curious, I shoot my XDM 5.25 9mm in USPSA Production. I cleaned the pistol when I brought it home and lubed it with Slide Glide.

I cleaned it at 2000 rounds, about a month's worth of matches and practice. Fair disclosure, I did add a bit of Slide Glide after each session. I also clean my magazines when they take on dirt from being dropped in the mud and sand at the range. I wasn't trying to complete this challenge, in fact I just saw this thread today, so I didn't really follow the exact regimen specified by blacksheep40.

I shoot a combination of moly coated lead and jacketed bullets. Mostly handloads, but some stuff factory too.

No malfunctions of any kind.

The XDM isn't a tight fitted gun, it'll run dirty with no issues. I wouldn't let it dry out though. I grouped the pistol when I first got it with Federal 147gr and 5 shots were 3" at 25 yards. Before the 2000 round cleaning, I grouped it again. Accuracy was 3" at 25 yards with the same loads used before.

·
Banned
82 Posts
Barrel cleaning is a myth. Do what you wish but lots of shooters who shoot FMJ bullets dont clean. Matter of fact if you look on the Schmeumann barrel site he flat out says he doesnt clean his barrels anymore. Not cleaning a gun of modern design wont hurt parts. You may eventually get a malf which will necessitate cleaning. Especially with the current firearms like XDs, Glocks, M&Ps they are very forgiving in the cleaning dept.
People mentally ********** over cleaning. I was at a match a couple years ago and this kid would come to the line with his rifle, just a run of the mill bushy and he was so worried about putting a drop of oil on the bolt, carrier, and lugs it got to be sad. Only saw him the once and Im sure he is now an expert on matches.
I actually clean my pistols one good time over the winter and will take the slide off, maybe, and wipe it down some before a big match. Im more concerned with having a small amount of lube at that point in the year more than "dirt".
My JP does however need to at least have the bolt and carrier cleaned every 500 rounds or so. Being a low mass carrier and the gas is turned down a bit that goes with the territory.

·
Banned
82 Posts
For those that are curious, I shoot my XDM 5.25 9mm in USPSA Production. I cleaned the pistol when I brought it home and lubed it with Slide Glide.

I cleaned it at 2000 rounds, about a month's worth of matches and practice. Fair disclosure, I did add a bit of Slide Glide after each session. I also clean my magazines when they take on dirt from being dropped in the mud and sand at the range. I wasn't trying to complete this challenge, in fact I just saw this thread today, so I didn't really follow the exact regimen specified by blacksheep40.

I shoot a combination of moly coated lead and jacketed bullets. Mostly handloads, but some stuff factory too.

No malfunctions of any kind.

The XDM isn't a tight fitted gun, it'll run dirty with no issues. I wouldn't let it dry out though. I grouped the pistol when I first got it with Federal 147gr and 5 shots were 3" at 25 yards. Before the 2000 round cleaning, I grouped it again. Accuracy was 3" at 25 yards with the same loads used before.
Spoken like a man who understands and shoots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts