Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new XD-9 Bi-tone Service Promo Package finally arrived and I picked it up today. :D I’m a newbie so I was as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. :oops:

After unpacking it, I field stripped it and wiped off the excess oil. There really wasn’t much of it so it only took a minute. I then sprayed the exterior of the SST slide with Boeshield T-9 for some additional corrosion protection. I reassembled the pistol and headed for my local indoor range.

I fired off 205 rounds and only quit because they were closing for the evening. I put the following ammo through it mixing the rounds up as I went along:

100 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr FMJ
85 rounds of WWB 115gr FMJ (much less muzzle flash than the Blazer ammo)
15 rounds of WWB 115gr JHP
5 rounds of Federal Hydra-shok 147gr JHP

Everything went through the included 3 hi-cap magazines without even a minor hiccup. 100% reliability right out of the box! :D

Accuracy appears to be fine but since I wasn’t using any kind of rest I can’t be totally sure. My shooting technique clearly needs work and I will be getting a coach to help in two weeks. He’s giving me individual Florida CCW training as well as some shooting lessons. He’s a retired Marine small arms instructor and trains the local police department SWAT on small arms. I’m sure I’ll learn a ton in those 8 hours.

I definitely shot the XD much better than the two Glocks. The better (for me) ergonomics certainly has something to do with it. However, I think the major benefit was the superior, IMHO, sights. For me, the Glock sights are unsatisfactory. I simply can't get good alignment with that configuration. The three dot sights on the XD are much better for me.

I did experiment with stances and found that the Modified Weaver seemed to work the best for me. My best 5-shot grouping was a little over 2 inches at 7 yards. The Isosceles stance seemed to work the least well for me but some training will undoubtedly help.

Do I like the gun? You bet! It shot like a dream and I’m really glad I opted for the 9mm. Thanks for the advice folks.

I had previously shot about 100 rounds each with a Glock 23 and then a G19 at the same range using two of their rental guns. Both were nice guns although I had one FTF with the G23. The guy at the range gave it a couple of drops of oil and that seemed to clear it up. Apparently, they clean their guns every 2000-3000 rounds whether they need it or not. :shock: I didn’t notice any significant recoil or muzzle flip differences among the two Glocks and the XD but I certainly think the XD’s ergonomics are a world better. I just couldn’t get comfortable with the more severe Glock grip angle and my hand didn’t quite fit the finger grooves. Otherwise, they seemed to be fine guns.

I cleaned the gun tonight and changed out the stock recoil guide and spring assembly for a Don's guide rod and 22# Wolf spring. I wanted to wait on this change until I had a chance to shoot the XD in stock form. I'll find out how well this modification works when I hit the range again in two days. I can't wait! 8)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a quick update after one week of ownership. I now have 455 rounds through my new XD-9 Bi-tone Service with 100% reliability. I haven't had even the hint of a hangup or failure.

200 rounds of CCI Blazer 115gr FMJ
185 rounds of WWB 115gr FMJ (much less muzzle flash than the Blazer ammo)
50 Rounds of Remington UMC 115gr FMJ
15 rounds of WWB 115gr JHP
5 rounds of Federal Hydra-shok 147gr JHP

I like this fine pistol more every time I fire it. It is also easy to clean and maintain. I bought a boresnake to run through the barrel after each session and it is something I recommend to everyone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts