Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my suppressor for my xd40 in today, and went out shooting it. For some reason, it sounds like there is a ballistic crack when I shoot the gun, it's much louder than I have anticipated it to be. I am using federal 180 grain bullets, which *should* get rid of the ballistic crack, because it travels slower than the speed of sound. When I shoot the gun, however, there is a crack that I can hear going off into the distance. Is there any 200 grain bullets I can order to see if that is quieter?

·
Registered
539 Posts
can't help u on the ammo, but do u have apic of ur xd with suppressor?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will post pics later. I'm so in love with this suppressor, I wish I could try it out with 200 grain bullets. Somebody please help me find somebody that can make it!

·
Registered
889 Posts
You might want take up reloading, because I don't think anyone is loading 200gr from the factory.

A few years back there was some IPSC shooters trying 200gr bullets but found that with some powders, and seating the bullets in far enough to get them to fit in the mags that they were blowing up guns, mostly Glocks (nothing against Glocks I do have one it's just the unsuported chamber caused the cases to rupture at the higher pressures)because you couldn't load them any longer or they wouldn't fit in the mags. Some loads were even compressed loads, not a good idea.

You might try the Winchester 165gr target loads they are down around 950fps.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Try some American Eagle ammo, it tends to be a bit lower than others. You can reload 200 grain ammo or have it loaded by a custom loader online but you will have to do a search for one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
question:

Does the bullet velocity increase with the barrel length?

So if lets say a 180 grain bullet would do 990 fps at muzzle with a 4 inch barrel, would the velocity be greater with a 5 inch barrel on the same gun?

Another question:

The bullet I fired with says on the chart on the box that at muzzle does 990 fps. Lets say that the bullet does not speed up with a longer barrel, does that break the sound barrier? Will 990 fps cause a sonic crack?
Please, I need some answers guys.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
atkamano said:
question:

Does the bullet velocity increase with the barrel length?

yes

atkamano said:
\The bullet I fired with says on the chart on the box that at muzzle does 990 fps. Lets say that the bullet does not speed up with a longer barrel, does that break the sound barrier? Will 990 fps cause a sonic crack?

just because the box sais 990fps doesnt mean that it will always be 990fps.

the speed of sound varies greatly depending on temperature and altitude

ex: the speed of sound at sea level in 59degree air is 760mph
the speed of sound at 30000ft and a temp of -70degrees is 660mph

but lets say that the bullet is traveling 990fps, that equates to 675mph... so i would guess that it is not breaking the sound barier which produces the sonic crack.

is this your first time firing a suppressed weapon?

they arent as quiet as they are in the movies :wink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r/t performance: I will pay you money if you could let me try out a couple of those 200 grain bullets if you get time to make them. I am DYING to know if I can make this sonic crack go away.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
atkamano said:
r/t performance: I will pay you money if you could let me try out a couple of those 200 grain bullets if you get time to make them. I am DYING to know if I can make this sonic crack go away.
I send you a pm soon as I get some made and some minor 180 to if you like just figure out how to ship them.I will test them first for function the will be safe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey R/T Performance, I really appreciate that. Again, I will send off double what it costs to make the ammo plus shipping, I just want to test it out and see if it makes a difference. Here is the link for the shipping information:
If you send it through UPS or Fedex, there should be no problem.

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm

I have been looking at Brian's forums and looking into minor and major loading techniques (I've never heard of this before...) and it sounds promising. I think that with minor 180 loads, even with the added length of my 5" barrel, I should be well below the sound barrier.

Ampleworks mentioned that people are getting 750 fps :shock: on those loads....which would be amazing in my case. It is not for long range shooting, but for targets up to 25 yards tops.

By the way, how much velocity does 1" extra on the barrel make? (most tests are conducted on 4" barrels)

Pics are coming soon! Just waiting for a sunny day :?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I belive you genarate another100-200 fps.With that inch.What are you running for a recoil spring?I have 14# for my service for real light loads but I just sent my sevice and tac too Rich for trigger jobs.So I will have to test them in my sub-compact.I don't own a chrono either but will make them plenty light.
Minor major has been around awhile for power factor scoring for uspsa or ipsc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a #22 spring in mine. However, I still have the stock #18. Do you think that I will have to order a lighter spring, like a #14 or a #16?

Does anybody know where I can acquire #14-#16 springs?

HOw light do you think you will make the minor 180 and 200 loads? Im just asking because according to ampleworks' formula, I would be getting 750 fps out of a 4" barrel, which would make it 850-950 fps in my barrel, which is getting near that darn sound barrier again!! ARGGG!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Best place to get spring is www.sprinco.com
Good fast.
I will set them to work with the 18# spring as light as I can but function properly.
I use 16# every day and the 14 for real light loads.
I will have them ready tonight or tomorrow after noon
Pm me you shipping info

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have just ordered the #14 and #16 springs from sprinco.

R/T: Feel free to make the lightest load for #16 or #14 springs, I really don't like using the stock #18 spring/guide rod combo. (it simply looks ugly :roll: ) Plus, I want to make sure that I go below 900 fps with my 5" tactical barrel.

I have sent a pm to you with shipping information.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 200gr lead is for the 10mm. The heaviest for the 40cal is 180gr. If you reload you do NOT want too seat the bullet in to far because you will create more pressure. You can try loading the 180gr to the minimum load and see how that works but don't go below the minimum load with jacket hollow point. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts