Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Buy both a 16 and 20 inch barrel? I don't own an AR but I do kow they are pretty modular. You can swap out uppers for whatever situation you need.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
M16 carriers are NOT illegal under federal law. Period. There is a letter from the ATF out on this issue. If it doesn't create a machine gun (which an M16 BCG does not in and of itself) then it is fine. They come as standard equipment in some guns as well.Re: carbine vs middy vs rifle...sure, it was designed with a rifle length gas system and a 20" barrel. That doesn't mean that improvements can't be made, and made well. Carbines, and even more so middies, can be very reliable. I personally see no need for a long 20" barrel. My use for my rifle (a 16" middy) is damn near exclusively inside 200 yards and any gain in terminal performance with a 20" over a 16" is absolutely negligible in those conditions.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Last I heard and understood, ANY M16 part is bad, including the hammer, trigger, disconnector, selector and sear group, along with the bolt carrier. Have the rules changed?

HB of CJ :) :) :)

the M16 carrier does not make the AR a "machinegun" and many makers now include them as standard. :D

The 16" barrel is "handier" than the 20" for most applications.

·
Premium Member
10,384 Posts
I like the 16" on an AR in 5.56. The reason being it is a light round, and if you are going to back it around you may as well have a light versitle barrel. If you were going to you a heavier round and worry more about long distance accuracy than 20" would make more sense to me. As for me, I got rid of a 20" BBL years ago in favor of a light Colt with a 16" barrel.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like the 16" on an AR in 5.56. The reason being it is a light round, and if you are going to back it around you may as well have a light versitle barrel. If you were going to you a heavier round and worry more about long distance accuracy than 20" would make more sense to me. As for me, I got rid of a 20" BBL years ago in favor of a light Colt with a 16" barrel.
yes this makes alot of sense.

I'd rather have a dedicated long range rifle than trying to take pot shots with my AR. However in a SHTF situation, I'm not going to be carrying two rifles and ammo as well as my other gear around the forest. It would make more sense for a friend to hold the rifle or someone who isnt a fighter to mule it.

This is why I want my AR to be as versatile as possible. Be able to hit a target 200-400 yards out if im trying to defend from an elevated position against enemy patrol or raiders encroaching on my location. All while still being able to dig out rounds while im at 100 yards or under.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
5.56/.223 is accurate enough out to 600...you can always get a 6.5/whatever other different caliber upper and swap out when needed. A lot of them use the same lowers as 5.56....
nothing wrong with that but id prefer to keep the ammo consolidated.

ie all handguns running 9mm, AR's running 5.56.

then for the long range i'd get a 308 or 30.06, whichever is more powerful at greater distances.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live in South Texas and in some places the brush is so thick that I can't see beyond 3yrds. Depending on thickness, I might be able to see 50yrds. That's why my first AR choice was a CAR with scope and my second SHTF/self defense rifle is my M4. I have run across poachers on my ranch claiming it was their ranch. I put a lot of thought in it, yeah a 20" might give me further range, but in the brush range is useless. With my CAR and M4 I have greater mobility and don't have to worry about the end of my rifle snagging a tree branch while on my back (or on sling) with pistol in hand.
If you whined up in a SHTF situation, concealment is your allie. You avoid contact to stay alive if you don't like what you see. While concealing yourself, you'll be using tree lines to move around. You avoid open areas because what you see can see you too. While you move around you'll be scanning the area around you, but I bet you won't engage until their within 200yrds. If you have targets between 200yrds to 400yrds and your shooting them, your asking for a world of hurt. You should be staying under cover and concealment or moving to evade. If their closing and your on an elevated position, you'll still have the tactical advantage of shooting down at them.
Besides the brush down here, I've also picked things up while in Ft. Lewis. Dam the forest and canopy was so thick even my PVS7s couldn't pick up my squad past five yards with night vision or infrared. We even had some problems using our cat eyes past five yards. We moved at night in file formation with one hand on the shoulder of the guy in front. In day time, we only moved around with 10yrd increments.
Don't forget that their may be times that you'll be mounted. Reaction time with a rifle is less then that of a carbine. There is a article in the new SWAT magazine about barrel sizes with AR's. Some LEOs have switched over to using commandos (Short Barreled Rifles, 7” to 11.5”) because their mounted on vehicles. Even military engagements in the sandbox are within 200yrds.
Yes the Marines Corps still uses the M16A4, but for how long. They have unique circumstances where I see that that rifle is better suited to them. They go into an area first not knowing when they'll be relieved. But if a rifle like the SCAR MK16 or Mk17 gets picked up by the main stream military (not just USSOCOM), where they can reconfigure their rifles to carbines by switching out the barrels. How long do you think they'll hold on to their M16A4s?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I like the 20" barrel. I currently have two 20" kits on order. If I have to "reach out and touch someone" I would prefer them to be in the next county.

But , I also like carry handles, and full butt stocks, go figure. The stock is just a matter of aesthetics. I just don't like the way the collapsibles look. They are great for other people, I just don't like them.

One of the rifles I have on order is classic A2 and the other one is A2 with a flat top and removable handle. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has me on back order.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Don't forget the option of using a 16" barrel with the "full length" gas tube (the gas tube and handguard length of the original 20" barreled gun). This gives you the relatively short 16" barrel (for easier vehicle carry and/or close quarters operation) with the reliability/lower operating pressures (?) and longer sight radius of the 20" version.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Don't forget the option of using a 16" barrel with the "full length" gas tube (the gas tube and handguard length of the original 20" barreled gun). This gives you the relatively short 16" barrel (for easier vehicle carry and/or close quarters operation) with the reliability/lower operating pressures (?) and longer sight radius of the 20" version.
FWIW the rifle gas carbines are known to have problems...at least with cheaper manufacturers.

You really need top notch quality to get those rifle lengths to work on the short barrel. A guy next to me at the range a few months back had one and it was having a hard time with some ammo.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I never had issues with the length of my rifle, just the unbalanced feel to having that 20" barrel. After much experimenting, I found that sticking 2 mag pouches on the stock evened out the balance enough so that I wasn't straining my wrist as much with one hand on the rifle.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts