Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the wife a Mossy 20ga. youth for HD... I have some Federal #3 Buck in the house right now...Is there anything more suitable that I need to know about ? Any advice appreciated...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I load 00 buck in my 12, just if Ya didn't know , at indoor ranges ten to twenty feet , buckshot doesn't spread much, slugs just as good if not better Imo . Can argue over penetration and such but I dont.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I agree about the slugs.

If you can't hit something with a slug in the typical (35 feet or less) that you will be shooting from within a home, you probably won't hit it with anything else either.

It typically takes about 10 yards (which is about 30 feet) before shot starts to leave the shotcup well after it leaves the barrel.

With that said, no shell or anything else takes the place of trigger time.

Shoot a bunch of both at the farthest distance that you will be shooting from within your home and learn how they react.

Look around inside of your house with a measuring tape and go from there.

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
#3 buck is the standard load for 20G.
It will do the trick for home defense.
I have not been able to find 00 buck in a factory load for 20's.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I have shot shotguns more than anything else. What you have will get it done all day long.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Just bought the wife a Mossy 20ga. youth for HD... I have some Federal #3 Buck in the house right now...Is there anything more suitable that I need to know about ? Any advice appreciated...
#3 buck is just the ticket for a short barrelled 20 gauge.

Make sure to get her some practice time with light birdshot (Wally World bulk 7 or 8 shot works) before you strap her into buckshot. There aren't many guns less forgiving than a bantam Mossberg when it comes to felt recoil.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
For "repel boarders" distances, #3 buck is fine.

If you suspect that ranges might stretch over 50 feet, look for something heavier; I believe that they make #1 loads for 20ga...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
# 3 Buckshot 2 3/4" or 3 " for 20 gauge might be the biggest you can find. Inside a home you should be fine. If your not worried about neighbors or family, slugs will do the trick.
Practice will make the difference.
My wife enjoys her 20 gauge, has lots of confidence with it over my 12 gauges. Good Luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I haven't found it in the stores in some time, but Federal had a 3in magnum load in #2 Buck.
Also...
Remington Express 2 3/4 in #3 buck

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Ive moved away from the age old idea of shotty for HD, but if I must go that route, I aint trying to neuter it. If youre concerned about missed shots, go with an AR and a tumbling 556 round

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
Get something with the flight control wad for tighter groups.

Hornady makes some good stuff. This is 12 ga but maybe it's avail in 20 ga as well?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts

This video is talking about patterning your shotgun. It talks about different chokes and water fowl, but the process to pattern it is the same...

Measure the longest distance in your house and pattern up to that distance. You want to make sure that all shots stay on the target. When the shots start spreading to much or going off target that is your furthest distance that you can shoot knowing what your rounds are hitting.

·
Registered
17,808 Posts

This video is talking about patterning your shotgun. It talks about different chokes and water fowl, but the process to pattern it is the same...

Measure the longest distance in your house and pattern up to that distance. You want to make sure that all shots stay on the target. When the shots start spreading to much or going off target that is your furthest distance that you can shoot knowing what your rounds are hitting.
I think the standing spread for 00 buck is 1" a meter (with unmodified bore), so at 25 yards you have approx 25" spread
(hold a tape measure at 25" anyone on your center torso...anyone in that range will be having a not so pleasant day)

We shot 50 yards w/ slugs at man size targets at our TXSG "unofficial" qual range day, safe to say KNOWING you can hit a man size target at that range with cheapo wally world slugs is a good thing (even with bead sights) anything over 50 meters, better to have a rifle or even a pistol round sized carbine.

I believe a 00buck 20 ga slings 9 pellets at approx 1100 fps

Is this a good price? (I literally just stumbled across it)
250 Rounds of Bulk 20ga Ammo by Rio Ammunition - 1 Buck

here is some too
25 RD Box - 20 gauge Rio 9 Pellet Buck Shot ammo SGAmmo.com

ooh...good comparison here

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts