Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building my first AR, and so far I have a DPMS stripped lower. I've been pricing out things I want to get to put on it and have a basic idea of what I want. I'll probably go with a carbine build with an OD green hogue grip, OD green magpul CTR stock, and maybe a complete stag upper (when I can find a good deal on one). My question is about the LPK...does a 2-stage trigger really make that much of a difference? I've seen a LPK with 2stage RRA trigger for $149, while the plain jane LPK (stag or some other brand) is about $50-60.

As a first time AR shooter who intends to use his AR as more of a fun gun, would the extra $100 or so make a difference? Or should I put the money toward saving for my upper?

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's really a matter of preference. Before building my AR, I tried both. I opted for the RRA 2-Stage NM trigger. I prefer the feel over the single stages I tried. I feel as if the 2 stage will allow me to be a little more accurate while target shooting.

I would suggest trying to shoot each, then make up your mind.

Best of luck, and enjoy your build.

Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
i cant answer the question, but i was in the same boat with my build.

i ended up going with a Stag LPK for $50-$60, so i could spend the savings from not buying the 2 stage RRA LPK on other things.

i figure that once i shoot and get used to the rifle with the single stage, i can always throw a 2 stage trigger in it and see how it feels to me....just because some people like it, does not mean that i will.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I agree that you need to try out both but in my opinion, it makes a big difference. The two stage has a much cleaner and crisp pull. I love it ..

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
After shooting both single and 2-stage, i prefer the 2 stage myself.

but thats just personal preference.

·
Registered
760 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've shot 2-stage triggers on everything from '93 Mausers to 1911s and I can tell you I shoot them better than single stage triggers- at least on fighting guns. In fact one of the things that has always put me off about the AR/CAR rifles has been the stock, single-stage trigger. If I was building one you can bet I'd be hanging the 2-stage trigger on it.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
it makes a huge difference! i was doughtful at first but once you use one you will be hooked!

i have a RRA 2 stage but i think my next is going to be the CMMG one since my rifle is all cmmg so it would be a nice match

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is it true that the 2 stage triggers can "wear out" and turn into really long pull single stage triggers? I thought I've read that this can happen, but I'm not sure if and how long it takes to happen.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Are 2 stage triggers soley match grade? Or do they have combat grade 2 stage? What is considered combat? I know for pistols its about 4.5#'s and up

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Are 2 stage triggers soley match grade? Or do they have combat grade 2 stage? What is considered combat? I know for pistols its about 4.5#'s and up
the only 2 that I know of being used in the .mil are the KAC and the Geissele.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
the only 2 that I know of being used in the .mil are the KAC and the Geissele.

Because of the way the XD trigger is, even with a trigger job, I might consider it a 2 stage. So I like the 2 stage, would you recommend either of those?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I've tried both as well. Yup, they're both vast improvements over stock AR trigger, so it's hard to go wrong. I have a single-stage Timney on an M&P (just cuz it's was at a real good price). I dig it that there's no creep and it's a very crisp light pull. For the price paid, it certainly excels at it's job. Others may point out 2stage are 'slightly more' accurate, but hey different strokes... :)

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts