Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in my area i really only have 2 choices of good quality .45acp ammunition.
1: Hornady TAP 200grn.+p( No experience at all with this.)
2: Winchester PDX1 230grn.non+p.(I carry the pdx1 180grn.in my .40's).
Which would be better suited for defense,faster or heavier?
Not trying to start a war about different weights and caliber choices,just wanting to know which of the 2 you would go with?
thanks.:cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Well, not that simple. The XTP has always had a good rep for penetration w/ modest expansion, so a 200grXTP will often penetrate as deep as most 230grJHP. It's always about the bullet design/construction. I am still out on bonded bullets for the 45acp. They often expand less & penetrate further. Agressive HP designs slow penetration, so those are my guide lines. I am also NOT a big fan of 45acp+P ammo, more recoil for little gain in performance IMO. I carry the std vel 200grXTP in my ltwt Comm or OM. Still makes 900fps & I know the bullet is going to the BG's backbone.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
If those are you finalists, I would buy a box of each and head to the range. Generally one will be a little more accurate in your gun and you might find that one feels better than the other and allows you to get faster/better follow up shorts, more manageable recoil, etc. What you get out of testing may be worth more than a few statistics for which they are probably pretty closely matched.

Jus my suggestion. Good luck with you choice.

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
Exactly.

Which one does your gun shoot better when you shoot it? Is one more controllable in rapid fire? Do they both feed 100% reliably out of ALL of your magazines that you plan on regularly using for defensive purposes, when the magazine is loaded to full capacity?

You may need to purchase a couple of boxes to determine this.

Personally, I'd lean towards the PDX-1, but would have no qualms about using the +P TAP if it met all the above criteria.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts