Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't have a kid, you should get one!

Fatherhood has it's ups and downs.. today was one of the ups!

We went shooting!

Here is Corina shooting the Glenfield Mod 25.. This is actually her first time shooting it.. she is having trouble with the weight.. she is adjusting her weight to her rear foot, and that is giving her trouble.

On the left is Corina at a rest.. we are working on a new grip.. if you notice she has her left thumb on the inside (towards the camera.) I like this grip, because once your wrist locks out you know it is in the correct position. Corina doesn't share my enthusiasm for the new grip though.. maybe after some practice she will like it better. On the right she is shooting the 10/22.. she has had more time with this rifle and is more comfortable.

Corina's first shooting experience was with this Beretta mod. 21a-.22lr, and shooting pistols is definitely her fav'! Today we made some adjustments on her grip. She prefers the "tea-cup on a saucer" type of grip, but I have been roundly criticized for allowing her to do that. So we switched it up a bit so that her left hand wraps her right on the pistol grip.. it improved her accuracy.

Now we couldn't have a picture thread without one of me... ain't I cute? LOL.. ok.. no is the correct answer!.. on the right is Corina shooting the XD 9, she is still a little apprehensive about shooting the larger caliber pistol. She tends to shut her eyes when it goes "bang!" She did a lot better with it today than in past shooting adventures!

and finally.. sadly, I had to put down an old friend. She was too old, and sickly to perform her function, Corina and I had to send her to Valhalla...

Sleep well old friend.. Tell Odin I said Hi, and keep his coffee warm.. you will be missed...

Raymond

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
SHUT UP RAY!!!

Yeah, you're very cute..LOL

But your daughter has you smoked!!!!

Man, I gotta tell you I had you pictured differently. I figured you to look about 19 and wearing a ball cap backward :lol:

Your advice on "getting a kid" is the only thing I know for a fact that you have ever said that's 100% true.

Getting to do stuff you love with your child is about the greatest thing there is. Not that they aren't equally great when they are newborns, or when they are eight months old and think they are in charge (and can't even talk or walk), but when you can actually interact, it's a whole new life.

Keep on keepin' on.

Man I miss my boy. The Navy has him...but not forever. I pay his cell phone bill just so he will ignore my calls a little less...the old "guilt trip" is needed at his age.

I don't have pics of him shooting (he did at about 6 or 7). I have pictures of him skiing about a month after he learned to walk. (he's was skiing today...nuclear prototype is up in the mountains of upstate NY). Talk about "NO FEAR"...he was skiing black double diamond runs (expert) before he even knew how to stop. He'd just fall down when he wanted to stop. Made sense to him. Couldn't get hurt...not a big fall when you are two feet tall.

:D :D :D

Peace,
D.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I don't have a kid but if I had one I'd want her to be just like Corina.

It looks like the stock on the Glenfield is just a little longer than the Ruger.

Pictures of you and the kid are great.

You are doing a great job with that young'un.

bd

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I don't have a kid but if I had one I'd want her to be just like Corina.

It looks like the stock on the Glenfield is just a little longer than the Ruger.

Pictures of you and the kid are great.

You are doing a great job with that young'un.

bd

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is what it's ALL about my friends !!! My boy just turned 6 and all he wants to do is shoot and hunt.But sadly hes still a little small to properly shoulder his cute little single shot .22 lr. And he accually wants to wait until he can shoot it "Right" He is hell with the p50 automatic beretta airsoft gun.Ive found it quite easy to teach him proper and safe gun handling and he has almost as good a grip as i do. Highly recomend the 30 dollar p50 crossman airsoft with the paper target holder + trap He wants to "PRACTICE" (his words) every day after hes done his homework

·
Registered
125 Posts
That XD9 looks like a full size .45 in your daughters hands. Keep her practicing! A friend of mine has a daughter who was on the high school skeet team. She was pretty good at it too. A real surprise this day and age that a teenage girl would be interested in shooting skeet. Even bigger surprise is that a large metropolitan school district would even let them have a skeet team. Oh well, there's always hope for the future if more young kids grow up getting trained gun safety and how to have good ol' fun just shooting up some cans and paper. Congrats on such a cute little girl.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have been teaching kids the smallbore three position for years now.

One thing I have found to be true is that almost always the girls are much eaiser to teach than boys.

Too many of the boys can't be taught good shooting because they just will not listen to the instructor. They already have so many bad habits to break and they have that "I already know how to shoot" BS going on.

The girls don't have this problem and they will do as they are told and they make really good shooters.

I have had a few girls that could have been world class shooters if they had not give it up as they got into their teen years.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i coached the Rotc in our local high school, untill it be politically incorrect for them to have guns. i also found it a lot easyer to teach the girls.

Big gun 97b what school has the skeet program?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Thanks that picture reminds me of the foundest time with my father the local gun range had a turkey shoot when i was about 12 and after shooting skeet and 22 siloets they had long range 1000 yard with m1 grand tanker i could hardly hold it up so my dad let me use his shoulder as a rest so i could compete with the big boys
hes been gone a little more than a year but will never be forgoten
Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
How lucky you are to have a kid who is interested in your hobby. Having recently married and planning for kids in the next couple of years, i hope i will be as fortunate in this respect as you are, although I'll be more than pleased if they are just healthy and happy. On the other end, your daughter is lucky, too. I had to beg my old man to buy me guns to shoot when I was a kid.

·
Registered
125 Posts
pistol fixer said:
i coached the Rotc in our local high school, untill it be politically incorrect for them to have guns. i also found it a lot easyer to teach the girls.

Big gun 97b what school has the skeet program?
Blue Springs Missouri, Just about 20 miles east of Kansas City. Tons of kids a couple of new secondary schools and a nearly new high school. And property taxes so high I moved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts