·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Looks great! What did you use?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
How does the grip feel now? Looks real good.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks good!

How does it feel, did it turn out as intended and -most importantly- does it do the job?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all statred like this,

Two weeks ago Saturday during a IDPA match in 90+ temp and 100% humity, I just about lost the XD on a draw. So decided to do some type of grip treatment. I first sanded the grip smooth, and applied (as directed from Brownel's) dupli-color truck bed liner. This was a mistake, it was gobbed-up looking and had the worst smell even after it had dried. So i decided to take the plunge and the chance on dystroying the grip frame. I used Weller WES 51 soldering iron w/ a custom tip made from a welding rod (I used one of my son's water pistols to test 5-6 tips to get the right pattern) once I found the right tip and approx. 2 hours later i was finished. Man my eyes hurt looking at all those little holes, but it is worth it. I sanded (w/ 360 grit paper) to the desired texture for the perfect grip. I should have done this 6 months ago. I shot a Practice match Saturday under the hot southern sun with NO problems. Next weekend it's off for a USPSA match to slay some more glocks.

Attached are a few more pictures

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That looks good!

I made my own grips also. I went and bought some crayons and paper, an exacto knife, and some sandy ladder tread.

I put the paper on the part of the grip that protrudes from the XD and has texter and drew all over it with crayon. This gave me an outline of how to cut the ladder tape. I then used the my template and cut ladder tape to fit and on the back I have a solid peice going vertical. It sticks great and doesnt hang on my clothes when I carry at all. There is absolutely no wiggle in the gun when its in my hand and I never have a problem handling anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fingolfin,

Due to traveling, this month I'll shoot IDPA @ MCRC in Columbia. Also I shoot practice matches every Tuesday Night in Rock Hill and Saturday Mornings in York when I'm in town. Do you shoot IDPA at MCRC?

NiK,

Yeah the key to the texture is all in the tips. My son has several water guns with stippled grips now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts