Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isnt my first time shooting, but this will be the first time ive shot an AR and this AR is never used. is there anything i should make sure i have at the range outside of the norm (ammo, ammo, ammo, and targets) ?

things like oil, tools, etc?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I'm not entirely sure this is necessary, but when I used to shoot with my older brother (RIP) he broke in his Colt AR by shooting 20 rounds followed by a quick field strip and bore cleaning and oiled it. He followed the same procedure after another 50 rounds, then 100, 200 and then after 300 rounds he broke the entire thing down and cleaned every part on the rifle. When he was done that Colt was a tack driver from pretty much any range. I wish I had paid more attention to his meticulous care of firearms at the time because I would be a lot more knowledgeable about it now, but I do specifically remember his OCD break in of that Colt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm not entirely sure this is necessary, but when I used to shoot with my older brother (RIP) he broke in his Colt AR by shooting 20 rounds followed by a quick field strip and bore cleaning and oiled it. He followed the same procedure after another 50 rounds, then 100, 200 and then after 300 rounds he broke the entire thing down and cleaned every part on the rifle. When he was done that Colt was a tack driver from pretty much any range. I wish I had paid more attention to his meticulous care of firearms at the time because I would be a lot more knowledgeable about it now, but I do specifically remember his OCD break in of that Colt.
+1

I don't know if it's necessary to go this far, but do get a bore snake and run it through a few times as you are breaking the barrel in. Also, make sure the gun is lubed up and you clean out the barrel before you go. You'll be surprised at how much dust and crap can be inside a 'new" gun.

Have fun. The AR is one of the finest shooting and most accurate rifles out there. You will be impressed...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I remember when I was issued a brand new M16...clean it before you shoot it (down to the bolt), make sure you oil it up good, and shoot it...used to be SOP for each company to bring a gallon of oil to the range with them...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I remember when I was issued a brand new M16...clean it before you shoot it (down to the bolt), make sure you oil it up good, and shoot it...used to be SOP for each company to bring a gallon of oil to the range with them...
Cause the brand new rifles are dry on the inside. They have some goopy sh!t on the outside to prevent rust. At least that's how my last M16 was. I miss that rifle.

We never had to shoot, clean, shoot, clean. We just started shooting... lots.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Remember when everyone would pour CLP(oil) from the 1 gallon and 1 quart bottles right onto their bolt till there was more oil on the ground then on the weapon itself?

·
Registered
189 Posts
If its a chrome lined barrel, I would just clean it, oil it, and shoot it. I wouldnt worry about a break in.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Don't forget targets.

·
Registered
395 Posts
No need for "barrel break in," or "clean and shoot, clean and shoot" nonsense with an AR. Break it down, clean it, lube it properly, and go have some fun!:grin:

When I shot my first AR for the first time, I put 800 rounds through it. That was my "break in."

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
No need for "barrel break in," or "clean and shoot, clean and shoot" nonsense with an AR. Break it down, clean it, lube it properly, and go have some fun!:grin:

When I shot my first AR for the first time, I put 800 rounds through it. That was my "break in."
That is a BREAK IN !! How long ago was this? .. and how much was .223 ammo than !? :p

·
Registered
395 Posts
That is a BREAK IN !! How long ago was this? .. and how much was .223 ammo than !? :p
A few years back, and ammo was a lot cheaper then.:wink:

I can't afford those kind of range days anymore.:cry:

It always amazes the hunters who shoot 10-15 rounds a year, how much an AR can take, and keep on ticking.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Don't worry, you & me both !! Well I could, but I sure as hell don't want to do it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I purchased my last AR, the guy working at the gun shop told me to shoot 30 rounds through it and "clean it after every round".

I shop there often so I just elected to let it go without a wise ass comment :roll:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
When I purchased my last AR, the guy working at the gun shop told me to shoot 30 rounds through it and "clean it after every round".

I shop there often so I just elected to let it go without a wise ass comment :roll:
No that's normal. After you clean after each round, you need to spin around in a circle three times and clap your hands in a sequence of 1-2 after each spin is completed. If you don't, it's bad juju for your rifle ... :twisted:

·
Registered
127 Posts
LOL- You know, at today's ammo prices that might not be a bad idea. It'll certainly lower your range day round count :lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

took her out friday for the first time...
sprayed a shot of remoil on the action befor i started and went to town. I started at the 25yd to figure out how the Irons work, i must say, I was impressed i could get the group as tight as it was @ 25yds first time shooting w/ that style rifle or sites.

moved out to 50yds next
ended up with a good group, not as tight but all w/i 3-5" :mrgreen:
didnt make it to the 100yd but i imagine it woulda spread out a little more...

Im pretty sure i want to get something with some magnification... I can hardly see the target at 50 yds and when ive shot my other guns w/o optics at 100...well its not exactly scientific but they hit the paper:oops:

anyway, took it home and cleaned her up for the next trip

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea i have a nikon 3x9-40 on my ar. i dont like iron sites at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts